Police Quest 2 - Updated Nov 20, 2005

Started by DCillusion, Mon 11/07/2005 19:24:54

Previous topic - Next topic

nippywiffle

Hi your graphics look excellent. I can't wait for you to finish this game, I've waited so long for a PQ2 VGA remake :-D

Do you have a website with updates on your progress? I want to check every day to see if you released it yet :-D

netdroid9

Quote from: DCillusion on Wed 13/07/2005 16:33:56
I've been debating about whether, or not, to keep the shooting gallery.  I think if I made it like Police Quest 4, it wouldn't be so annoying.

I think the best idea is to add a skip dialogue, like the one in Space Quest 4. (I havn't played Police Quest 4, so ignore me if it does this too :).)

Nice gfx by the way :).

DCillusion

The website will come when I've completed the resources, (backgrounds, sprites, etc.), during the actual game-building process.

- In Police Quest 4, the puzzle is optional.  If you want more points, you do it.  If you hate the puzzle & want to beat the game, you skip it.

Dexter

I think adding the shooting gallery would be awesome.  that was one of my favorite parts.  Mind you it did get a tad annoying always having to adjust the sights.

I've always wanted a game with the shooting gallery where you had a choice of a weapon.  Like a shot gun for example.

Risk

Ah! Perfect! *excited* I started doing this about ... oh... 1 year ago... if you haven't implemented the title, character, and icons already, I can send you what I've got if you are interested! Thanks!

Hope to hear from you soon...

email me at:

y9k_compatible@hotmail.com

peace

DCillusion

Initially, I was worried about giving too much away in showing screenshots for the game.  At the same time, after looking at the screenshots presented, I now realize the pics don't really represent the art of the game. 

I may not do this again for awhile, but at least with the new screens, I'll have put my best foot forward.

Superman95

what's the art done in?  it sort of looks 3d rendered...but i can't tell.

PsychicHeart

that's why i reckon it could be an OTS. The graphics look so frikken' 3D!
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

DCillusion

They're are, fully, 3D images rendered at ultra-high resolutions, (about 1600x1200).  Then put through 1 cell renderer & 1 sketch renderer.  The 2 pictures are combined & turned into a painted canvas using Paint Shop Pro.  The whole scene is then shrunk down to game resolution, & colours are reduced to give the entire picture a look

The process from design to render to filter takes about 5-6 hours, but I know plenty of people who spend much longer just drawing their artwork.  I love the old games, & nostalgia hits me pretty deep.  3D-art is where my skills lie, however, so I'm using filters to get as close to the old art as possible.

As far as "Over-the-Shoulder" , this is a remake.  I really can't, nor will I, break from the traditional Sierra mold this game was created with.  I want people to feel the way I did when I first ripped open Police Quest 3, & I don't think they will if I don't stay true to the style.

IceMan

Now that's a smart idea!  And 5-6 hours is pretty darn short considering the quality of the screens.

Just be careful, though, with the backgrounds where the camera's looking down.  The 3d effect tends to be lost when 2d sprites are put onto a screen at the wrong angle

What a loser.

Amazing, I love the 3D VGA effects truly fantastic. :)

Broomie

Not the greatest achievement, but I've added your game to Fanventures. If you have a better logo I could use please tell me. :)

http://www.fanventures.com/ - Click on Fangames then Police Quest 2 VGA
Broomie
Infamous Quests
http://www.infamous-quests.com
Kickstart Ventures
http://www.kickstartadventure.com
-------------------

DCillusion

Wow, thanks!!

I'm not sure what you mean by logo.......Like a corporate logo.Ã,  If it's that simple, I gotten that far, here it is -

If you're thinking of a final title.......It's Police Quest 2 - Vengeance a remake of the 1988 title Police Quest 2 - The Revenge

I hope that helps

I just figured out what you meant - Title Logo right?

If I'm right, that's at work, but I'll get it.

edit by darth - double post combined ;)

Broomie

Yeah I did mean the title. Thanks, nevertheless though.

Might I add, this looks excellent and cannot wait for the finished product. :)
Broomie
Infamous Quests
http://www.infamous-quests.com
Kickstart Ventures
http://www.kickstartadventure.com
-------------------

What a loser.

Quote from: DCillusion on Fri 15/07/2005 07:50:38
Wow! - Thanks

I, honestly, didn't know so many would be interested in the project.  Converting from EGA to VGA isn't as much of a feat as CGA to VGA.  It's incredible to get so much feedback!

Thats because your bg quality is truly great. It would be cool to simulate VGA sprites but in a 3D model. I think that would be great because the bgs are very 3D.

jcsturgeon

I can't believe how awesome this game looks!

I have a couple comments/suggestions:

-Will Sonny be able to change clothes? Like when he goes to dinner with Marie?

-Will Kieth actually do anything?

-Will Mario be quite as much of a stereotype? lol

-Will the computer still be able to be used. It was quite fun to look at everyone's records.

DCillusion

Looking at the amount of time it's taking, & the incredible amount of time I've had to work on the project.  I can almost guarantee the game will be released in December!!  I'm finished with the sound resources, I should be done with the art resources by September, & this will leave 3 months to arrange & script it, (which I'm sure I can do).

I now have the opportunity to do this at work, & this will speed up production.

Questions - Answers

-I'm not sure if Sonny will change clothes, he's following a killer round-the-clock over a mere 2 days.  Although, slightly altering; like no jacket or different Jacket makes a lot of sense

-No, I think it would change the game if Kieth wasn't retarded

-I think Mario might be more of a stereotype than ever before!

-Of course you can use the computer! & I've, already, finished that part of the game.

jcsturgeon

"-No, I think it would change the game if Kieth wasn't retarded"

Haha, true enough.

More comments, sorry.

-Will we be able to go to Sonny's house? It's cool to see where a character lives, maybe he could start both days there.

-It looks like a gun locker there... before Sonny goes to Steelton what if he got a shotgun, I always thought it was funny that he just took a puny pistol to go after Baines, he should be better armed! (Even if Baines only has a silenced .32 Browning!!)

-I actually liked the plane hijacking scene, I know it's kind of goofy, but if you're taking out this scene will you be adding another action scene? Maybe something where you actually go to Colby's house? If you take out action will more action be added?

-If you're making the driving scenes like PQ4... will we lose the entertaining radio banter? I loved that part of the game.

Thanks again, and God bless you sir for remaking my favorite Sierra game!  :)

DCillusion

It's interesting.........we think alike  in many directions.  I've made a living space for sonny; I think it leads up to the house scenes in PQ3.

Sonny definitely needs more firepower.  At the very least, a bigger pistol & some body armour.  He's working with the Steelton Police; I don't know why they didn't suit him up past a radio.

The hijacking scene is too "touchy" these days.  It's funny, I am, in fact, adding scenes to include the Bomb-puzzle.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way to include the banter.  It's very funny, but in a very clunky location.

jcsturgeon

-Will there be more in Sonny's locker? His locker seems really bare in the game.

-It would be funny if you could open the lockers of other officers. I suppose that would take a lot more drawing though, especially if it was only for eater eggs, like opening the locker of K. Graham or L. Laffer (did I get that last name right?)

-Will you be releasing more screenshots as development continues?

-I know you haven't even done this game yet BUT... I always thought the Sonny Bonds saga "ended" strangely. Maybe if you could recycle many of the game's art it would be possible to make a Police Quest 3b?

Coming up with an origional storyline might be tricky, but it would be a lot of fun I think, he could make Lt. and maybe put a more satisfying ending on the Sonny Bonds police quest story.

Sorry for all the questions, lol, I can't wait for this game to come out!

Oh, has anyone ever done a Codename: Iceman remake, that game had awesome potential, but kind of fizzled.

I wish I knew how to use this software, but I suck at this kind of stuff, lol.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk