Police Quest 2 - Updated Nov 20, 2005

Started by DCillusion, Mon 11/07/2005 19:24:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Mandarb

jcsturgeon - your enthusiasm is great!  But if he keeps answering all these questions there'll be little point in playing the game ;)

I can tell you're psyched to play it but, for those of us who haven't played it in years, you're taking away some of the re-surprises!!

jcsturgeon

lol, you're right, you're right...

I'm just super psyched! Up until a couple days ago I didn't even know people remade games like this  :o

DCillusion

Darth, Thanx.....

I really needed to be moderated before I gave away the entire game.  I wasn't even thinking about it at the time.  I've been so busy. :)

jcsturgeon

Yes, I immagine all my questions are keeping you from actually making the game! lol

Well, I'm sure there will be plenty of surprises, I just can't wait! What a Christmas gift eh? (You said Dec right?) haha

jcsturgeon

Hey, this is more of a general question and hopefully won't spoil a surprise for anyone...

but will this game be remade to take place in present times, or will it still have a late 80's early 90's feel?

Thanks

calacver

i loved PQ2. Thanks too thoughtful people like you that remake all the classics.

Can't wait.

jcsturgeon

I think I'm gonna try to learn some of this AGS stuff, I'm not too good at programming and whatnot, but I know I could make up a pretty decent stroyline.

I think there's a lot of stuff to explore in the PQ universe.

-A game taking place when he's a rookie (70's?)

-A game taking place between PQ1 and PQ2 in which he earns a promotion (Between 87 and 88 according to PQ3 manual)

-A game taking place between PQ2 and PQ3 where he earns his promotion to Sergeant (between 88 and 91)

-A game taking place after PQ3 (and before PQ Swat 2 in which Sonny is an LAPD SWAT officer helping learn the ropes before bringing SWAT to Lytton  :o) in which Sonny earns a promotion to Lt.

-A game where Lt. Bonds could lead an investigation indirectly with a team of detectives

-A game where Bonds earns a promotion to Captain...

I mean, the possibilities are endless really, lol.

DCillusion

You're right, the time period won't spoil anything. :)

The game takes place in 1988, I want the remake to have the same feel as the original.  My hope is that people will play through the VGA trilogy & feel as if my game fits perfectly within the other two games.  The series will, finally, have a finished feel to it.

As far as other Police Quest games......this will be my swansong in the series.  I enjoyed them, but I don't live & breathe the games.  I already know what my next project will be.  I will remake an entirely different game to finalize another fine series in the Sierra library; completely seperate from Police Quest.

jcsturgeon

No hints on the next project? Hmmmmm

Like I said before I wish SOMEONE would try to remake Codename: Iceman, I think that game had a LOT of promise, but never became what it could have been.

The stupid game of boss dice, the clunky sub controls, the dead ends etc...

but I really liked the story, and it was a pretty good looking game.

There were supposed to be sequels and this was going to become a series but several factors conspired to kill the game...

Still I think the flaws were correctable.

Oh well, I'm almost sure this isn't what you have in mind, lol.

I'm trying to immagine what games by Sierra haven't been VGA'd or AGS'd yet... hmmmm

-----

Oh, btw, will you be making a website? Maybe an online instruction guide, modeled after the old school PQ2 manual with some fake newspaper articles like the PQ1 VGA game documentation would add to the feel of the game.

DizzyDancer

Speaking of Police Quest... I loved the first one! I've played it many times. I didn't even know there was more than one til recently. Does anyone know where I can download the original second one, or is it not available to download anywhere?
There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

jcsturgeon

Try this site.

http://www.btinternet.com/~whitty.barlick/whittyone/

Hopefully the downloads still work, the games are a lot of fun. They even include a helpful program called "Turbo" that will help you play Police Quest 3*.

*The driving in PQ3 is extremely fast and difficult. Turbo slows down your computer so you can drive at a much more manageable speed.

Darth Mandarb

No more chatter in here unless it's related to this game ...

Please take all off-topic discussions into PMs.

Flop

This sounds awsome. I'm a huge PQ fan, and it's always bothered me that they never made a VGA version of the second one. So thanks a lot, man. :)

Now, it sounds like everybody is really impressed by the screenshots. Unfortunately the link seems to have died. Could you please, please put them up again so that I can see them?

And just a friendly warning: although it may seem to you like you can easily finish it by december, I would still put a disclaimer on that if I were you. As far as I can tell a lot of good people have fallen into the trap of underestimating their own project. :D

And seeing as how the rest of my post was on topic I'll allow myself this: your next project wouldn't happen to be a Laura Bow one, would it?

*crosses fingers*

DCillusion

It's working now -  ;)

As far as the timeframe.  I live a pretty stable life.  I don't go to school; nor do I take an inordinant amount of vacation.  I have found plenty of time to work on the game, & once my daughter goes to school, I'll only have more time.  If it changes I'll tell everybody, but barring injury I don't see how the date will change.

Flop

Okay, I see them now, and I''m definitely impressed. I'm looking forward to playing the finished game, and I hope you'll keep us posted of your progress. :)

jcsturgeon

This is gonna be so sweet!

Can you make a production journal? lol, that would be soooooo awesome, haha.

Just FYI if you made some special features, or a special edition game like the maker of 5 Days a Stranger and 7 Days a Skeptic I would TOTALLY paypal you 5 bucks, hahaha.

DCillusion

There will be a design journal when the backgrounds are finished.  I'm about 50% finished with background artwork, (officially).  I'm going to try to make the first edition as special as possible; so no SE is planned.

.....Please, no money!!
I own none of the copyrights to the game &, as such, can have no monetary gains to it.

But thank you very much for your support.  It's coming along brilliantly

HillBilly

This looks great! I've never played any of the original PQ games, but I'll without a doubt give this a try. The backgrounds reminds me of "Theme Hospital", for some reason.

DCillusion

Well, It's been a month since I've released anything.  I don't think it's fair for a developer to expect people to stay excited about a project without seeing any development for months at a time.

.....So, every month there will something new.  It could be a background, or character art, or music...or even a journal update - just to keep people excited.

Sonny Bonds

Absolutely stunning, Your art style has that Blue Force feel. Cant wait for this one to come out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk