The York(TM) Safebox

Started by rozojc, Fri 15/07/2005 20:31:46

Previous topic - Next topic

rozojc

Modified:
Hmmm, I don't know if the game seems too bad or what, but I do wonder why I've received almost no feedback (compared to other new "In production" threads), so if you read this, I certainly would like to hear feedback...

-----------------------
I've finally have enough material to make a post here. I just re-read the rules, hope everything's Ok  ;D

This is my first game, so I hope everything works out somehow...

Story:
Lucius (although the name could change) finally receives what he has been waiting for: a telegram informing him that his uncle Melvin is dead, and that he is now the owner of Melvin's mansion, and everything in it; and only two weeks after having sent his lover in hope that Melvin's feeble old heart wouldn't stand a night with her. However, the telegram also informs him that Molly (his lover) is missing. Lucius does not waste any time and heads over to his new mansion (as he couldn't care less about Molly), where a note from his dead uncle is waiting for him... Inside the mansion, Lucis can find wealth or doom, and a (hopefully) good fight trying to open up the York Safebox.

Regarding graphics: I suck at graphics, so I didn't do any of them  ;) Most rooms are made with "Punch! Pro", character is made with Poser, and the music... well, the music will be a surprise. In other words, believe me, I know I'm terrible with graphics, and I don't have anyone helping me out with that part of the game. So, if perspective is wrong, or the graphics are not good, well... sorry.

Updated Screenshots (thanks to Totoro who helped me out with the use of Poser):

Inside the mansion:

Smoking:

Kitchen:

On the way to the family cemetery:

Progress:

-Story 100%
- graphics 70%
- puzzles 60%
- scripting 15%
- music/sound 70%
------------------------------
Modified July 16th

I'm working on an animation of Lucius smoking. It's nothing fancy (as again, I am absolutely terrible working with graphics), but I think its usable (here's a badly-done animated gif of it):

Updated July 17th

Totoro helped me out with the use of poser. I did the walk cycles again, and it seems I was able to get rid of the hideous border I had on the main character. The screenshots were updated

A suspense adventure game where you play an anti-hero, check it out!

bush_monkey

playing an anit-hero sounds interesting. I hope you'll make him likeable enough for the player to care about him though. Keep up the good work

Totoro

Hello, I think its totally fine to work with Poser, especially when you modify the standard figure a bit, but you should definetely get ridd of those grey anti-alias thing around the character. You can se what I mean when you look at the character standing before the black sky background.

rozojc

Quote from: Totoro on Fri 15/07/2005 20:59:52
Hello, I think its totally fine to work with Poser, especially when you modify the standard figure a bit, but you should definetely get ridd of those grey anti-alias thing around the character. You can se what I mean when you look at the character standing before the black sky background.
Thanks for your comments!

Yeah, I know but I haven't been able to find a way to do it (quickly, I mean). I did turn off antia-alias when I rendered it, but nevertheless the images always ended up having some pixels making it look bad. I tried different background colors (blue, green, purple pinkish, etc.), but it always happened. I ended up leaving it like this, and I'll either find a way to do it quickly in Poser, or I guess I'll end up editing one image at a time (15 frames and 8 walk cycles, should take  A LOT of time...). Oh well  :)

UP

Well, it looks quite good (maybe a few perspective problems ;) ). The only thing that bugs me is that you use the default cursors... They just don't fit. I wouldn't use them in almost any game, especially one with graphics like these.

Totoro

Try to render it as a png and import it WITH the anti-alias-channel into Ags set to real color.

rozojc

Quote from: Totoro on Sat 16/07/2005 13:47:43
Try to render it as a png and import it WITH the anti-alias-channel into Ags set to real color.
So, to see if I got it right: I create the images as PNG with Poser WITHOUT the anti-alias, and then I import them to AGS WITH the anti-alias? By the way, how do I import them with the anti-alias-channel in AGS?

Quote from: Not Yet... on Sat 16/07/2005 09:49:47
Well, it looks quite good (maybe a few perspective problems ;) ). The only thing that bugs me is that you use the default cursors... They just don't fit. I wouldn't use them in almost any game, especially one with graphics like these.
Thanks for the comments! You're right, and I won't use the default icons. They're just there cause I think that's one of the last things I'm gonna do (it's just changing a couple of images and it doesn't affect anything if I first code everything and then change them, right?). I'm probably gonna go for a set of black-ish icons or something like that.

Edit by Darth - I have combined your posts, please avoid double posting!  Thanks!

Totoro

Which Poser Version are you using?

rozojc

Quote from: Totoro on Sat 16/07/2005 16:38:16
Which Poser Version are you using?
Totoro: 6.0

Darth: sorry about that

EdLoen

It's nothing big and I hate to sound like a corrective no-ninny, but for accuracy sakes, in the first screen where the eye's on the multi-armed candlestick, it's called a candelabra.  Chandeliers hang from the ceiling.

rozojc

Quote from: EdLoen on Sat 16/07/2005 17:53:55
It's nothing big and I hate to sound like a corrective no-ninny, but for accuracy sakes, in the first screen where the eye's on the multi-armed candlestick, it's called a candelabra.  Chandeliers hang from the ceiling.
Thanx for the correction, gotta work on my English vocab  ;D

ildu

Why is the first pic so drastically different from the following ones? It's a photo, whereas the others are 3D. Also, it's got a very different perspective than the other three.

Also, the paintings in the bedroom are screwed.

Totoro

I only know 5, but probably in 6 it should work the same way. Render your image, save it as png (maybe you have to select transparent background as an option, but I think PNG is set to transparent background anyway). It does not matter if you use anti alias now or not, because the PNG should contian an Alpha-Channel with information on the anti-aliassing. Import the PNG into AGS. AGS will ask you if you want to import the image including the alpha channel and you say yes. And now you will have your sprite merging very nicely with the background and no more grey borders anymore.

Darth Mandarb

Alright ... back on topic.

Take the photoshop lessons into PMs and the image critiques into the Critics Lounge!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk