Da New Guys: Day of the Jackass - Out Feb 29th!

Started by IceMan, Sun 24/07/2005 21:36:15

Previous topic - Next topic

IceMan

Da New Guys: Day of the Jackass

[/a]

The sequel to the original wrestling comedy.

Story

Brain - the worst brawler in the history of the Wrestle Zone - has won the title belt! Not even his team-mates Simon and Defender can believe it. But when Brain gets kidnapped (along with the belt), it's up to them to get him back.

Street-fights, car chases, and obssessed fans all stand in the way of Brain's rescue. But as the reluctant heroes find themselves descending ever deeper into in the city's darkest corner, they learn that their problems are only just beginning...

Features

• Play, once again, as all 3 members of the team
  • Explore eight locations around the city, with more than 70 screens
  • A full MP3 soundtrack by For The Winnings composer Chris Moorson
  • Unlockable artwork and achievements
  • Full, lip-synched voice acting

Screens

As I'm writing this, the box below tells me the last time I edited this page was in 2007.  So this took a while to get done!

I await cries of "sell out!": this is now a commercial release, and being published by Wadjet Eye Games.  Trust me though, being able to spend some serious time on this means it's a MUCH better game for it.  It's considerably longer, properly voiced, tested, polished, achievement-ed, and it's coming out the end of the month!  Also, it's pretty darn cheap.

For now, there's a new trailer and demo to try out.  Enjoy!

Download the demo
Watch the trailer
Play the first game
Like what you see? Pre-order

Vel

Wow, the first game was great and in my opinion the only things that needed improvement were the graphics and the music(kind of, it was nice, but it wasnt original). It seems that you have taken care of these rather minor gripes, except for the blocky wrestler, although that's a really tiny thing. Hope we can play this soon, thumbs up!

Ubel

A sequel? Great! I really enjoyed the first one and I trust this one's gonna be even better. :D

I won't try the demo because when it comes to a very good game, I want to play the finished version. Demos usually take pretty much away from the gaming experience.

Good luck with this!

IceMan

I chose the content of the demo carefully so that it wouldn't detract at all from the main game.  The real purpose of it is to show the style of the game, but if you're sure that's cool with me.   8)
Thanks for the comments!

PsychicHeart

graphics look nice. Even better than the original. Well, congratulations on this undertaking and good luck!
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

IceMan

Heh, the blocky wrestler is intentional.Ã,  Something arty about being simple so looking simple (actually, I just got used to him looking like that)Ã,  :)

Al_Ninio

Is that Fatman in the third screenshot? :D
Looking good, keep it up!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Looks good, just make sure you disable the tab key to open the inventory, it crashes the game ;>.

IceMan

Oops, didn't see that!Ã,  Ã, ;D
Heh, thanks.Ã,  Here's another bg (took ages)

Ubel

Wow, great background! Those graphics are so much better than in the first game. Keep it up! :D

Mozesh

And so I am back from my holiday and this is what I've been waiting for ;D
Looks really great Iceman, playing the demo right now.
The graphics look much better than the first part but still has the same feeling to it :)

IceMan

Hey there, been a while since any update, so here's a bit of info:

I've been planning the next location of the game, and it's going to take a whopping 13 screens.Ã,  In other words, the game's going to be a LOT longer than the original.Ã,  Where the first had around 10 NPCs, this one already has 20!

Production's going to be on hold for a few weeks now.Ã,  I'm off travelling tomorrow and I won't be back till mid-September.Ã,  In the meantime, here's another screenie:

Mozesh

IceMan

Well, I'm back now, so I thought I'd give some sort of status update.

Right now, I'm re-writing ALL dialogue conversations.Ã,  The game's now using dialogue "icons" (like in Broken Sword / Sam N Max), because with it I can make the dialogue flow 10x better.Ã,  Took me a while to figure how to script icons, until I thought of using inventory items as topics.Ã,  The topics you can talk to each character about is decided by what that character is holding in their inventory.Ã,  The game then sets THAT character as the player character, then displays their inventory items, so you can click on each dialogue topic.Ã,  (If that makes sense)Ã,  That way adding/removing topics is as easy as AddInventory / LoseInventory.

As for the game itself, let me break it down.Ã,  It's split into 4 parts (no chapter selection screen as of yet, though):

Part 1)Ã,  Needs a little tidying up, but pretty much done.Ã,  More of a prologue, really.Ã,  (The demo takes place in the second half of this part)
Part 2)Ã,  A HUGE part, because it uses LOADS of new graphics and locations.Ã,  Lots of puzzles, which means lots of bugs to fix and polish to shine.Ã,  Coming along very nicely, though.
Part 3) Major part.Ã,  Some big scenes are in this part, and the tone needs to be just right.Ã,  Constantly reworking, and will be a lot of work when it's been designed, since it's set in an entirely new location.
Part 4) Still under design, though re-uses a lot of graphics from Part 2.Ã,  Being the end, it'll have some very cool in it though, so it should be fun to make.

So when will it all be done?  Not for a while yet, I'm afraid.  I've got college again just round the corner, so work will have to slow a bit.

TheCheese33

I really like your work, IceBox. You are amazing! I was thinking; after you graduate from college, you could make your own commercial company, and make a deal with Steam, so they would sell and distribute your games for you! I really think your games are THAT good!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

IceMan

Heh, thanks Cheese.Ã,  But DotJ will remain firmly freewareÃ,  8)

Here's another background to gander at: this one's the map screen!

Mozesh

Wow :o really nice Chris, how about a little progress report :)

PyroMonkey

The first game was great, and so is the demo! Good luck with this! :=

IceMan

Thanks guys :)
I know that last pic's a little dark, but it looks fine full-screen.  If you look closely, you can see all the locations from the first game (Cosmic Burger, the warehouse, the billboard).  This doesn't mean you go back to all of them in this one, but I just thought it'd be cool to show where they are and stuff.

As far as progress goes, m0ds and The Scorposer have joined the project, and are doing some great work.  Recently they've been working on some variations on Ice Cold's theme (he has a bigger role this time around).

Part 3 (of 4) has been planned out now, and partially scripted.  It took a while to get the length/tone/difficulty right, but I think I got there in the end.  I think the 1st game was a little too easy, so I've put in a puzzle that is, potentially, insanely difficult.  (Maybe I'll tone it down ;))

Right now there's a whole bunch of bgs to do, and I tend to blitz through a load in one.  I'm being select about what screens I put up, though - don't want to give anything away!

IceMan

Update - 28 April: Abandonia reloaded have posted an interview about Da New Guys.  Get the low-down on how the infamous trio came about, and read about Day of the Jackass!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk