August MAGS

Started by Klaus, Sun 31/07/2005 22:10:58

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeJunkie

I took the rules to mean that there should be no lingual communication in the game at all, text or voice, but I'll still keep it that way despite clearing up the rules.  I think it's a very good set of rules because it means that the game can be played by people who can't speak or read English.

Klaus

Quote from: SimB on Tue 02/08/2005 13:04:58
I took the rules to mean that there should be no lingual communication in the game at all, text or voice
Exactly, this is how it was meant to be.

From my point of view "speech" also includes voice acting. What should a voice "say" if not speech? It's okay if it's just sounds or a unknown language, just the same that goes for written texts too. That's why there's no special note about this in the rules. Anyway I think it's all quite clear now after bluber's information.

Quote from: bluber on Tue 02/08/2005 10:15:27The most important thing is that you get your game finished in time.
True words you write :)

ilSilente

Hi to all.
I think this month's rules are very challenging. I tryed to make an entry, but tomorrow I will leave for holydays, meaning I can't finish the game.

Anyway, I don't want to thrash the work made (4 days), so here it is a little, short, one-room-one-puzzle game  :P: http://vuotospinto.altervista.org/dogescape.htm

See you when august ends :)

Ubel

Hey ilSilente, that game was actually pretty amazing! You've done very good job with the scripting. Quite impressive for being done in four days. :D

Mozesh

Hey nice game ilSilente, really nice scripting job man. As pablo said it's quite impressive for only four days work.

Erenan

I was working on backgrounds for an entry, but I've decided to turn it into a non-MAGS related project. So... no entry from me this month. :'(

I'm going to play Dog Escape soon.
The Bunker

CodeJunkie

My entry's out this month, sorry.  I've kinda lost the zest for MAGS competetions by now.

Henryhouse

I'm a newb and thought this would be a great way to get started with AGS.  I have thought of several ideas already, but only one is simple enough to finish in two weeks.  I'll give it a try. No promises though.

PsychicHeart

hey, i have thought about entering this month's MAGS. i have a few questions.

1. Does the game have to be an adventure game?
2. Can we have english in the 'Help' section?

Cheers,
Fb.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

bluber

I would say:
1. No
2. Yes

But you may wait for Klaus's answer.

Ubel

As far as I know every MAGS game has been an adventure game so I think it should be so.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Asporia Hidden Threat was actually an RPG, Pablo. And Bert The Demonslayer 3 was top-down action. And I believe Operation Red Dice was something top-down too.

So aye, why not a non-adventure game?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Henryhouse

I was wondering, can sounds be displayed as text?  I.E "BAMM" "ARGHH" "CLANG" "ZOOM" "GRUNT" Lame stuff like that.

Klaus

Quote from: Flukeblake on Thu 11/08/2005 10:34:29
1. Does the game have to be an adventure game?
Well, this depends on the definition of "adventure game"... AGS offers a lot of possibilities on creating games (from text parser to platform and further more) and ALL is allowed to enter MAGS.
Now for this competition we have the "no text" limitation. There are game types that easily come along without text, let's say something like tic-tac-toe or even a platform game. Everyone knows what to do and so it's no big deal to leave out messages.

For this competition - and I think that's what bluber had in mind (please correct me if I'm wrong) - you should create a game that usually needs text or where you are used to see/read texts to solve the puzzles and finish the game. But this time you have to come along without messages. This could be a classic point-and-click adventure but it doesn't mean you're not allowed to also post a platform game for example. Anyway it shouldn't just be collection some stars and reaching the golden bowl at the end. You see what I mean?

Quote from: Flukeblake on Thu 11/08/2005 10:34:29
2. Can we have english in the 'Help' section?
Info text in the introduction or as aked in the help section are allowed as they are no real ingame messages.

Quote from: Henryhouse on Sat 13/08/2005 00:09:17
I was wondering, can sounds be displayed as text?  I.E "BAMM" "ARGHH" "CLANG" "ZOOM" "GRUNT" Lame stuff like that.
I'd say "yes" as it's no real language.

PsychicHeart

well, i was thinking of a Codecracker sort of game? is that ok?
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Hey, if you wanna, sho', go ahead. But do keep in mind that if you just clone an existing game, or just do slight variations, your not likely to get many votes.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Henryhouse

If it is okay to do text at the beginning for the title and setup of the game, is it okay to do text at the end?Ã,  For what I am working on I have a general entro and then need a punchline at the end.Ã,  Let me know if that would be breaking the rules.

Henryhouse

Well, I have to submit my entry today, "An Alien's Work is Never Done". I did not get to add to, do, and polish everything that I wanted to do, but I may not get to work on it any more as my wife and I are expecting a call from the hospital any day now.Ã,  My wife is pregnant and is going to be induced as soon as the hospital has an opening available.Ã,  Just remember that this is my first AGS game and that I had almost no time to work on it since I started two weeks ago.Ã,  I hope everyone enjoys it.Ã,  I have included a walkthrough for the game in the readme file as some of the puzzles are really hard or so I am told.

Thanks,

Henryhouse

Download AAWIND: http://www.geocities.com/gregory_david_price/AAWIND.zip

Wretched

Henryhouse,
Cheers!
Sore ass though ;)

Fine Artist

Title: Goontang Chackalaka

If you like boobs and potty humor, this one is for you.

***Mature Content Advisory***

The August 2005 MAGS competition topic was “topless,” or maybe “textless?”Ã,  Regardless, both requirements are satisfied in Goontang Chackalaka.Ã,  The characters talk a little, but it's in the mysterious Goontang language - which is unknown to all of us thereby meeting the rules.Ã,  Also, an original musical score is featured.Ã,  WinZip File size: 1.37MB.

Enjoy!
Fine Artist

Download here:
http://www.geocities.com/fineartist4322/GoontangChackalaka.zip
Or here:
http://www.geocities.com/fineartist4323/GoontangChackalaka.zip
Or here:
http://www.geocities.com/fineartist4324/GoontangChackalaka.zip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk