The 10th Planet

Started by Haddas, Tue 02/08/2005 02:26:14

Previous topic - Next topic

deadsuperhero

Is it really called Xena? That's a crap name right there. Some Xena-freak was sitting watching Xena reruns when he named it. Why can't we come up with a name in the competitions and send the winning name to NASA or something? That's a better way of naming planets.
Xena? Hell, we'd be better of naming it Pepsi or Nabisco.
:D
Just a thought
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Ishmael

Quote from: Alliance on Tue 02/08/2005 17:38:22
Is it really called Xena?

No. Do read the articles linked to on the beginning of this thread, on the CNN report there's a video clip where you learn this.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Pesty

Quote from: Mr Flibble on Tue 02/08/2005 17:27:10
If they don't name this new 'planet' (its probably more like a huge asteroid or something. I don't think even Pluto is big enough to actually be classed as a planet) it simply must be named Rupert.

Pluto was (or is still, I don't know) going to be declassified as a planet due to it's size. However, it's been known as a planet for so long, they still consider it a planet, because otherwise my very easy mother wouldn't have just served us nasty pies. She would've just served us nasty.

But now she can serve us nasty pie x... xylophones?
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Nine Toes

Come now, I don't think your mother would appreciate being called "easy".  :o

(please don't tell me that you learned that in grade school...)
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Potch

I'm not surprised at all that this discovery was kept from us.  Maybe I think too much on the Mulder side of things, but there is no doubt in my mind that Nasa and the government have a lot more secrets that they keep from us.  I suppose they don't want to create mass hysteria and whatnot.  Not that an new planet would create that, but I'm sure they know other things that would freak us out.

Ok, because this is kind of funny, I'll share this with  you guys.... My boyfriend is a bit of an extremist, and he's got a theory that is ReALLY out there... I think he's watched a little too much sci-fi, but he thinks that the government purposely places science fiction movies, books, etc out there to make people think that aliens and whatnot are fake, in order to cover up the fact that it's all actually real.....   He's big into government conspiracies.

Anyway, I think it's cool that they are finally telling us about this new planet.  It just goes to show that there really is so much out there that we don't know about. 
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

shbaz

Well, seeing as how it wasn't NASA or the government which discovered the planet, but a university professor, your theory is flawed.

He is purported to have delayed announcement in order to do fact finding.. spectographic analysis, mass determination with a low margin of error, accurate orbital determination, and etc. He already knew it could be classified as a planet, but wanted to be the first to determine most of the information about it as well.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Pesty

Quote from: Mr. Hyde on Wed 03/08/2005 07:14:43
Come now, I don't think your mother would appreciate being called "easy".Ã,  :o

(please don't tell me that you learned that in grade school...)

It could've been something else, I dunno... What I wrote fits well enough, though!
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

kec

Actually neither Pluto nor 2003UB313 are planets. They are actually big chunks of ice that were caught in the gravity of sun
I like meat.

PsychicHeart

im pretty sure it was Xena, but spelt 'Zena'.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Ishmael

Quote from: Flukeblake on Thu 04/08/2005 12:05:25
I'm pretty sure it was Xena, but spelt 'Zena'.

What was?

The planet is not named yet, AFAIK, as the name the professor suggested to it has not been accepted by the universal space association placey, and he wouldn't tell what the name he suggested is, untill the results are out.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Potch

Hey, maybe the government just wants you to THINK that he doesn't work for them.   ;)
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Redwall

As we get better telescopes pointed at the Kupier Belt, I suspect we'll be hearing/reading about more and more stuff like this. I say cut it off at Neptune and be done with it.
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk