Help with my first room

Started by mrtie_dye, Tue 09/08/2005 10:28:21

Previous topic - Next topic

mrtie_dye

I have just began to play around with AGS, following the tutorial included in the help menu. I have a custom background, as well as bitmaps for the walkable area, hot-spots, and walk-behind. I found these were easier to create in paint.

All of these files are 800X600. The walkable bitmap is 256 color, the background is 24bit. When I import the background, it shrinks down to 400X300. This makes the walkable area not line up. What can I do to keep the 800X600 size of the original background?

EDIT: Ok, I created a test background, made it 320X200, and made the test walkable area the same. Appears to be lining up correctly. The tutorial mentions scrolling backgrounds and such, but if I load in a background that is bigger than 320X200, then none of my walkable areas are loadable. I have to shrink them down, and they no longer line up with anything. Is this just a (HUGE) limitation of this engine, or am I doing something wrong?

GarageGothic

First, make sure that the game is set to the proper resolution:
Game --> Change Game Resolution --> 800x600

Second (from the manual): NOTE: For hotspots and walkable areas, the mask must be the same size as the background, but at 320x200 resolution. So, if you had a normal sized 640x400 room, the mask should be 320x200. For walk-behind areas, the mask is the exact same size as the background image.

(I take it that "same size" here means "same dimensions")

TerranRich

Basically, walkable area masks and such have to be the low-resolution version of your background image, I believe.

If you have a 320x200 room, use a 320x200 mask. Same goes for 640x400 (half of that). As for 800x600, I'd imagine you'd use 400x300.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk