Need help to create Pac-man

Started by , Sun 07/08/2005 01:27:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Fribbi AGDI joker

I don't know if this question has ben asked before but can I create games like Pacman and Tetris with AGS. If so I like to know how? Has any game like that ben created before? I have tryed and tryed but nothing works and well since I am still rookie on game design could anyone give me code or something to help me with this. But I want to start on very easy Pac-man game. I thought it would be easy but it is so hard for me.  ???

DoorKnobHandle

It is very possible, but will require some ''heavier'' coding.

Giving you code is not gonna help you, since a project like this is something to maybe write a tutorial about but not a reply in a forum.

If you're not into AGS and general programming, it's better to practice scripting with less intense projects like - like - maybe... a normal adventure..? :)

Domino

I'm sure it's possible in AGS, but might require alot of coding (not sure i know nothing about coding)

You could try Game Maker, in which the engine is designed for those type of arcade style games.

Good Luck  :)

BorisZ

Tetris and Pacman are VERY different games. Making pacman would not be too hard, while making Tetris would be a real nightmare (that's probably why no one has ever tried doing this).
And no, using Game maker would not help very much in creating Tetris, you would still have to know much about programing (multidimensional arrays for example) to make a game like it, even in Game maker.
And for Pacman, you could give it a try in AGS, all the things needed for it have allready been made (keyboard movement, object collision, light AI...)

Candle

Fribbi AGDI joker

I tryed walk on region options but every spots disapeared when I walked on one blue colored region.Ã,  Oh well back to the drawing board.

I have another question. If another character gets near me like in Pac-man. I know how to let character die when I shot it but don't know how to let the character die when it get caugth. Can anyone please help me? I just need to know how to let character who can walk freely grab another moving character just like in pac-man.

Ishmael

If I were you I wouldn't even dream about something requiring as much scripting as a Pac-man clone needs, if I hadn't got even the slightest sense of more advanced coding. I tell you, practice with something simpler. Someone just giving you the code doesn't help at all, as what do you learn there? About nothing. Or well, maybe your copy&paste speed improves, but...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Ishmael on Mon 08/08/2005 13:37:48
If I were you I wouldn't even dream about something requiring as much scripting as a Pac-man clone needs, if I hadn't got even the slightest sense of more advanced coding. I tell you, practice with something simpler. Someone just giving you the code doesn't help at all, as what do you learn there? About nothing. Or well, maybe your copy&paste speed improves, but...

Which is basically what I said in the first reply... ;)

Fribbi AGDI joker

Ok but what is the code to let character grab wandering characters. And what is the code to let character walk in random places. I am still a beginner on this even I have created one game. But I really like to learn more on AGS code. There are so many AGS code wich has never being explained in the help file wich is included in AGS

Ishmael

Run a repeating loop that checks if another character is within a range of co-ordinates in front of the player, checking the direction from the player character's current loop, and if so, perform the action.

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

TerranRich

It's bad practice to ask people for code for a large portion of your game.

Do some little projects in AGS, get used to it, look at tutorials, especially advanced ones, and just get a feel for AGS first. You can't expect to make unorthodox games like Pac-Man while still being a beginner. Not even *I* could do it, and I've been around AGS for 3+ years.

Now, instead of asking for entire chunks of code, please, try it yourself and if you get stuck, give us your code and explain to us what's going on. We'll point out your problems and help you to FIX code. We won't make your game for you.

Mouth for war

I agree...use game maker or the games factory instead if you want to make a pacman game.
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

TerranRich

I mean, don't get me wrong; people have made platform games and other non-adventure games in AGS, but those are the people who have a very deep knowledge and understanding of AGS and who know what they're doing. If you're just starting off, it's damn near impossible to do anything other than what it was meant to do.

Fribbi AGDI joker

Ok I don't need then the code for pac-man game I just need a code for how to let character grab a wandering character that's all I need now.

Dr Lecter

Shouldn't you atleast start some of it yourself?

Fribbi AGDI joker

How am I suppose to do that when I don't know how to do that? ???

Dr Lecter

Maybe that's why you should start with something that you have an idea of how to do?

Ishmael

I already told you how it'd basically work. You'll need to scripting knowledge yourself.

TerranRich

We won't teach you scripting from scratch, nor will we GIVE you code. You must start it yourself and THEN ask us for help on YOUR code. If you don't know how to even begin, then don't bother trying it. Do some scripting tutorials and play around with it first. That's the only way you'll learn. Sorry.

Scummbuddy

you will need to read through the manual, especially the part about

IsCollidingWithChar
IsCollidingWithObject (character)
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk