New Game - Return to Civilization

Started by misterskipperdoo, Fri 19/08/2005 10:25:53

Previous topic - Next topic

misterskipperdoo

For some time I've been working on a game called "Return to Civilization". Now, it is almost complete.

As an estimate, we're looking at:

Puzzles: 100%
Graphics: 98%
Sound: 98%
Music: 90%
Programming: 90%

Mostly I need to punch up cutscenes and dialog. Here are some screen shots:

As a breif summary of the storyline:

Take control of Oswald West, famous treasure hunter. His most recent foray into the jungle has paid off-but now he needs your help to get home. Face off with cannabals, giant spiders, blood-sucking butterflies and other terrors. Can you find extra treasure along the way? Can you find all 13 ways to die?

"Return to Civilzation" is a bit of an experiment in adventure game dying. You're actually rewarded for finding more amusing ways to kill yourself. A separate score keeps track, and effects the finale.

Should have a beta out in about a month, maybe less.

RyRayer

Nice. I'm going to try out the beta, I think. Is this going to be somekind of comedy game?

Das Plans

An experiment in adventure game dying, huh? Well, I gotta say... this sounds brilliant. And it looks that way, too. Plus, we don't have to wait that long for it, either. This keeps getting better and better.

By the way, in the first screenshot - do I spot a Seinfeld reference?
No soup for you! Next!

Keeo it up...

misterskipperdoo

This game definitly tries to be a comedy, though many games that try aren't that funny.  ;) We'll wait and see how people react.

Very good on the Seinfeld ref spot! It's a kind of dual Seinfeld-Kmart reference.

In the meantime, semi-final polishing continues...

Mats Berglinn

It depends on what kind of humor it is. I like the style of this one. I barely expected this coming from a newcomer. How long is this game anyway?

Off-topic: misterskipperdoo, is the name inspired from the Mr.Incredible quickie from The Incredibles DVD?

RyRayer

By the way, how long time have you been making this game?

misterskipperdoo

D'oh!

Forgot to post estimated amount of gameplay time. Thanks Mats Berglinn.

Shooting for medium length game, about 8-10 hours of gameplay. Maybe way less or way more, depending on the skill of the player. And you're quite right. Misterskipperdoo is a reference to the Incredibles DVD.

_RyRayer_, I've been working on this game since 2003. It's gone through several drafts and re-writes, but I've finally found a tone and plot that I think is right.

But only a final release will tell...

calacver

Your graphics have a very interesting style - I LIKE IT!

GarageGothic

These screenshots remind me of Conspiracy of Songo, which certainly isn't a bad thing in my book. This could be very, very interesting indeed, but I'll refrain from praise until I've played the beta.

misterskipperdoo

Thank you for your comments, everybody!

Game continues at steady pace. Almost finished with the treasure code, and ready to dive into more dialoge in the next week.

misterskipperdoo

First beta is finished. I need to write a read-me and a walkthrough, still. (Documentation is always fun.)

Is anybody up for beta-testing?

Mats Berglinn

Sure, I'll be willing to beta test.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk