Inside the Hut!

Started by Bartimaeus, Wed 24/08/2005 13:26:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartimaeus

Hey everyone,

Okay I need a bit of help on this.

Im pretty happy with it, my main concern is lighting. Its supposed to be a setting sun outside and the only light source is the window.
Don't really know how to draw light coming from a window...

Also it's the inside of a hut so I made the roof round and Im thinking about adding thatch sticking out... somehow.

What do you guys think?
Paintovers more than welcome.

~Billy
~The more adventures I go on, the more sand I get in my shoes

Corey

with some effects in paint shop pro you can create light but im afriad the only the place you still gonna see something is around the window coz its the only light source.

this is how it looks then.... very realistic and very dark...
the only thing you might can do is drawn a lamp somewhere or make the light unrealistic.
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

SSH

Surely the wall around the window wouldn't be bright, as it would be in direct shadow of the light soruce which is OUTSIDE the window...

Ali

With BGJ's style flat colours are more appropriate than gradients so the lighting effect looks showy. Don't worry about showing light coming in through the window thing of backdrops in the Simpsons. They almost exclusively use flat colours to great effect.

To indicate that this is the interior of a hut you framing the image within a cross section of the hut's shape, sort of like this image:

Not having the edges of the room reach the edges of the screen might help add a cosy interior feel to it.

Valiant

Hello Billy Gnome Jefferson. What is your purpose for this background? Lightning is one of the important issues, but it looks rather 2d as well. The background could be very good for a 2d game, in 3d however lacks perspective.

For now here is a quick edit of your picture, correcting some of the lightning/shadows issue. I've quickly added a lamp to be the main lightning source of the picture. Photoshop does has a nice feature to add lightning, but be careful not to overdo it. Manually add shadows in the corners of your hut to improve the cosy feeling. I've also added some straw on the ceiling and a little bit of noise on the wall to give it some sort of texture.

Bartimaeus

Okay thanks alot to everyone who's posted so far.

Valiant, my game is in 2D and I like your paintover very much, that's the kind of lighting I was looking for.
Corey, yours was good too but something about it didn't look right.

The only thing I didn't like in your paintover, Valiant,  is that light. I was hoping not to have a light at all - just the window which should be very bright because it's smack bang in the setting sun. Surely it's possible to make the room visible even with such a small light source? Is a light really necessary?

Another thing Ive noticed is the flower on the window sill - that should be black because of the light outside, but obviously I can fix that.

Ali thanks for the comments, the problem with me making it like the MI example you gave is that this room has to be strictly 2d.

Crits and paintovers still welcome!!

Corey

ok i did my best to keep it realistic and still light the room enough...
i hope this is want you need. The "dont mind this" thing is because i moved the window and i could find the right color to fill the emty hole
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend

Ali

I explained myself poorly before, this is a very quick and crude example of what I was suggesting:

I'm aware that your game is in 2d, I meant to suggest that you show the hut in cross section so in addition to seeing into the floor, you can see the depth of the walls. Also, I think a framing vaguely like my example would help to give a sense of a small room.

My paintover certainly isn't very attractive, but I think you should be wary of using lighting effects with a style like yours. Valiant's paintover is nice, but I suspect it would be difficult to maintain that look consistently.

LilBlueSmurf

Well, I didn't spend a lot of time on this, but I added in a sky outside, made the room darker as a whole, but added light and shadows according to how it look if it was refracting off a plane wall opposite the window, then just threw in some shadows in the corners to make it seem smaller, so yeah, it would need touchups, but you get the idea.  Oh, and I moved all the furnature out from the wall just a bit so it doesn't look painted on the walls.

Valiant

Well Billy Gnome you can also use the window as a lightning source and move the window to the middle of the room. But even with very fierce sunlight, it would be very difficult to see the edges of the room. Than again, its just a matter of the level of realism you want to archieve.

As for Coreys edits, no offence, but you overuse the photoshop tool completely. Not only is is very easy to recognize as a simple photoshop trick, it also distorts the colours and looks unrealistic imo. If you use the effect less obviously and make some manual adjustments to it, it will look much better

Bartimaeus

Okay well thanks alot to everyone, I really appreciate all the time you've put in.

I don't want the window to be in the middle of the screen, so I guess Im going to have to make the game a little unrealistic - its not that big a problem.
Smurf captured what I wanted pretty well, as did valiant - although with the light...

To Corey thanks as well but Valiant has a point - if overused that photoshop lighting effect can look weird, I dont use photoshop though so I wouldnt really know. Still, thank you for putting your time into helping.

Ali, I cant see the picture you posted? Is it just me?

~Billy

Corey

i know it looks pretty weird, but that is just because im a noob at it.... btw its not even made with photoshop but with paintshop pro  :P
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend

Bartimaeus

Still, thanks alot man - Things are so much easier when people want to help.
;)

Tuomas

I can't do it, but I thought there was sunset? I've never seen a sunset with such bright yellow as you have drawn. Suppose you try adding more red, orange, sometimes even purple when it's cloudy.

LilBlueSmurf's try was closest to what I think, a bit too dark perhaps as if it were night already, but the first ones seem more like there was a rising sun there. but the matter is, the sunset means dimmed light, sharp shades of red and orange. Less yellow. This is but my opinion, but hey, think of it. I would have done it myself but as I said I can't do that in Paint. Won't suit my style, as you see in the other thread here :)

Corey

Quote from: Billy Gnome Jefferson on Fri 26/08/2005 18:11:39
Still, thanks alot man - Things are so much easier when people want to help.
;)

glad i cold help  ;)
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend

Khris

Bartimaeus

Thank you khrishmuc!

I'm probably going to end up with pretty much that and maybe add Valiant's thatch and I might use Smurf's idea of making the objects appear out of the wall - but I might leave that for style purposes.

Kudos to everyone who posted and helped me out!
;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk