ESPER: Paranormal Adventure COMPACT VERSION

Started by esper, Wed 31/08/2005 10:40:11

Previous topic - Next topic

esper

You're right, Yvonne. I sure hope it was worth the time you spent. It isn't the greatest game in the world, and I wonder exactly what it was that caught your attention so much that you decided to brave Hell and high water to get at it!

Gijs: I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the recommendation. It will stay in the short games section. I worked for a long time trying to make it take a while, but what takes so long to put together doesn't take very long to beat :(
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

SSH

scotch

Yeah, feel free to use the upload service, it needs testing.  I mirrored the larger file if people want to get that somewhere easier, http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsuploads/files/ESPER.zip

esper

Thanks a bundle guys. You sure know how to treat a newbie well! I'm glad to see my game has had such a good response in the first day of it being available... I know it's not the best, but I worked on it seriously (maybe not quite so seriously with some of the animations) and tried to make a game that would be fun, enjoyable, not too hard to beat and maybe a little creepy! I hope my next ESPER game, and my MAGS entry for this month, will be just as well received, if not better...

And if anyone liked ESPER enough to work with me, especially in the graphics department, I would appreciate it!

SSH

Newbies who make their 5th post or so a completed game with great atmosphere and obviously a lot of work gone into it are MOST welcome here. It's the ones who just post a bunch of links to old stuff they found on the web and then get upset when moderators tell them off that we dont like.

Your graphics show that you don't have to be Leonardo da Vinci to have atmospheric graphics

As for the big movie files: have you tried compressing them with other CODECs that might give a better result?

esper

I tried DivX (whatever the simpler one is... for some reason the more advanced DivX codec doesn't want to work) and Indeo 5.1... Can you suggest any others, or 3rd party video compression software that might be better? It's too bad ZIP is the standard file compression format, too, because I got it to 40-some MB archiving it as an ACE...

---And thanks for the complements...

Nachtvlinder

Hi Esper,

check the gordianknot-project for a collection of codecs (all the ones you'll ever need). Xvid seems to have quite a good compression.

Martin
May all go well for you,

Martin

SedrynTyros

Esper, you may want to consider using RAR compression.  In most instances it's better than ACE and there are free RAR extracters available for practically every OS.

esper

Graargh! Sorry, folks, but ESPER is offline. For some reason, out of the three uploaders I used (including the AGS upload site) all of them had problems, and fileFront deleted the old ones instead of replacing them, so now I can't get them uploaded anywhere. The one that was already on the AGS site still exists (the link is somewhere in this thread) but other than that, the final version of both the deluxe and compact versions of ESPER: The Town on the Edge of Darkness, will be offline until I can get one of these bloody sites to work!
   In the Meantime, here's what you're NOT getting:

---A full version, with animations, that is fully bugfixed
   ---The smaller version, which was bugfixed and had its own cursors, had a problem I'm surprised no one mentioned: the look and use icons in the inventory screen were all whacked out.... I fixed those
   ---Both versions now have a nice, rewritten PDF manual
   ---Both versions now come with The Town on the Edge of Darkness original short story.

Sorry guys. I'm working on it...

SSH

If you're looking for good compression, btw, 7zip seems to do the best job on AGS games in my experience, and can also be made with a self-extractor

esper

Fixed! Here's the smaller file, and I'll be working on getting the bigger one online later tonight...

http://www.savefile.com/files/3263173

EDIT: The bigger file actually got the smallest as an ACE (I tried ZIP and RAR), so I hope everyone has an unzip frogram that will do ACE's. The smaller one is a ZIP: I saw no need to save 1MB or so of space using a non-standard file type that not everyone might have access to. On the bigger file, however, I saved about 8 MB, which is the entire size of the smaller game!

So, alas, it shall be available for download later tonight, and as soon as I get both finished uploading I will put the link in here and add both links to the AGS games archive.Ã,  Thanks everyone for motivating me to make this project good and to set a deadline for myself. If you guys didn't show the response you did, I probably would have just posted the unfixed original and let it be!

And here's the big file! And that's that!!!
http://www.savefile.com/files/4718255

Graargh... It is a VERY slow connection. Took 3 hours to upload the bigger file with high speed, takes about 30 minutes to download the smaller file with high speed. I'm going to try to put the smaller one on the AGS uploader site again (if it works), and if so, I'll post the link here.

jane

I'm getting the bug when leaving the prison too..............the only way round it that I can get out of this is to leave my bag of stuff in the prison................but surely you're not supposed to do that - are you?  Brilliant game up till then though.

esper

Sorry 'bout that, jane... You must have the old version. the newer one has alot of bugfixes, and that's one. I only uploaded it about two hours ago. Like I just said in my last post, it's a REALLY slow server, and I'm working on ways around that. If you have the smaller version, I'm going to try to upload it onto the AGS upload server (@SSH: I'm doing it and it says it's done, but it isn't giving me a link to it... I left it on for three hours and nothing ever happened :( ), but the bigger version is staying where it is. Unfortunately, the webmaster at www.theespers.org says to put it on the server (and I own the damn website!!!) would take up too much of our "bandwich," as he calls it... Grrr... But I hope you can get the newest, bugfixed version and enjoy it!!!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

esper

Thx, Brisby! The big and non-buggy is up, it's just on a really slow server. The little one has the additional fix now of the cursors in the inventory screen fixed (how come no one noticed that?). You might not be able to get it... It took me three hours to upload it on highspeed! Grrr again...

Gijs

I did notice the buttons but I didn't use them, I just did right and left clicking.
Sorry that I didn't told you. I didn't think about it. :-[

jane

Downloaded compact version but can't get the end to run right.Ã,  If I shoot her she refuses to fall down and I get I made wrong decision, if I don't shoot the same thing happens.Ã,  If I shoot her but go back towards church and then back to square then Lucy has disappeared but then emerges again and I have to shoot her again - I take it thats a bug.Ã,  Is there a right ending?

Only other thing I found was that if you go back in bar then it says about guy at pool table - but he isn't there anymore.

I would have liked the option of a load button too at the beginning to save going through all intro when I lost a life.

esper

Jane: you can use the GUI from the main screen to access save/load

About leaving and coming back... sorry, I didn't plan for that one... But there are eight different endings you can get.  Are you getting the EXACT same thing happening? If so, that is a bug. However, there is only ONE very good ending, and you might have missed it.

Cees

Where can i download the big and debugged version??

esper

The old big version has been replaced by the bugfixed one... Go to the games page (click my name and then click the name of the game in my profile for a shortcut) and then download the mirror instead of the first download option.

EDIT: Although, I'm noticing, the file server is down for the moment. GRRAAWLLRGG! I can't remember ever GROWLING so many times in forum posts. This has been a most aggravating venture. Can anyone suggest GOOD, SOLID hosting that wont be crappy every eight and a half seconds?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk