story idea... scriptwriters interested?

Started by esper, Sat 10/09/2005 07:55:14

Previous topic - Next topic

esper

Hey.
  I noticed not everything in here was VISUAL art... There is some music, and the guy with the Maniac Mansion script, and a few people with game ideas. As anyone who played my game The Town on the Edge of Darkness knows, it's based on a short story I wrote of the same name (it comes packaged with later editions of the game file). That is, in turn, based on a novel I wrote about the ESPER society (Extraordinary Supernatural Phenomena Explored and Revealed). I have tried to get the book published. I AM a published author (if you don't believe me, go to Amazon.com and look up either Callan Souza or The Days of Old...), but for some reason publishers don't want ESPER, even though they accepted my lame fantasy story. NO ONE ELSE seems to want ESPER, either, which is a bummer since, IMHO, it is a hundred times better than my already published work, and would be much better received, especially since it is supernatural in nature and alot of todays' media entertainment is supernatural, paranormal, or occultic in nature (ie. the Ring, the Grudge, the Exorcist prequel, the Exorcism of Emily Rose, Dark Water, the Skeleton Key, Darkness... more horror movies are being made today than ever before, and they're SMART horror, not hack 'n' slashers like in the days of yore)...
   I think some of the major downfalls of the ESPER story are that it is written in first person perspective (I have actually come upon publishers and agents that would not accept any work if it were first person), and that it is action and visually oriented, which is difficult in a book. It is almost completely impossible to show someone being afflicted in such ways as hearing voices and seeing strange phenomena without it being in first person or having compelling audio and visuals to go along with it.
   So then, I came up with this idea... I would like to make a movie treatment, and possibly a script. I think ESPER would be much better accepted on film or television. You can get the story The Town on the Edge of Darkness from the current game download, and if you ask I will email you the full length ESPER novel, but here is where the "Critiquing" part of the critics lounge comes in...
   This is the story I would like to have scripted and made into an "introductory" movie to get the ESPER series off to a start. It is sort of a prequel, taking place before the events in the game or the novel, and is kind of unrelated.

---A sweet, beautiful young girl falls completely and madly in love with a dark, stolid man named Ian in an airport terminal. Understanding him to be more than the almost-frightening facade he puts up, she cannot help but see the selfless, gentlemanly individual she somehow knows he is. She falls so much for him, in fact, that she leaves her flight altogether and decides she wants to be with him. All seems well, for a while, until she sees he has some strange companions, and when she stumbles accidentally into his locked study, filled with books on the occult and newspaper clippings from a rash of ritual child abductions and slayings, the way she feels and the way things seem to be collide brutally in her mind. It is not until she finds out that he's one of the GOOD guys, and he met her while looking into the strange habits of her own brother, that she comes to trust him again; but how can one ever trust ANYTHING in this new world, unlike the one she had crafted for herself in her mind all these years, where horrible things like this can take place?

Do you guys think this is a good enough story to start out the series with? Of course, if ESPER ever becomes popular, then, like Steven King as portrayed in Family Guy, I could write stories about haunted lampshades and have them be popular, but I seem to really like this particular story and wouldn't give up on it anyway.

And, if anyone is interested, would anyone want to work together with me writing my drafts into a workable script?
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk