Elestian Tales: Bittersweet Sanity - On hold (Sorry guys... :()

Started by A�rendyll (formerly Yurina), Sat 17/09/2005 21:48:54

Previous topic - Next topic

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

This is the topic where I'm introducing my very first game. It's called Elestian Tales: Bittersweet Sanity. Here's the latest information:

*Genre: Adventure (+ different endings. But besides this it isn't really an RPG)

*(Current) content advisory:
- swearing: none.
- nudity: none
- fighting: none (yet, there may be mild fights in the end.)
- other content: if you don't like to read about blood and strange illness symptons, don't play this game. (These things won't actually be shown.)

*The world I used: Because I'm a fantasy fan, I made a whole world with it's own races. I won't bother you with a whole encyclopedia, don't worry ;). If you don't understand things at first, ask me.

*Main characters: I have 3 main characters of which you can play only one at the moment.
- Maya (17 years old, female): A young, sweet girl who lives in Narliru Village, together with her younger sister, Hannah. She likes to play detective.
- Hannah (10 years old, female): The younger sister of Maya. She's kind of nature and has a wild imagination. In general she likes her sister, but she hates it when nobody believes her.
- Kentah (16 years old, male): Kentah is a medical/white magic student who lives in the inn next to Maya's house. He's got an eye on Maya, but he's too afraid to tell her.

*Main story line:

One day, Hannah saw two strangers talking on the beach to the south of her village. They discussed some kind of plan, using a map. When she tells her story against Maya, Maya didn't believe her sister. Later on, a new disease terrorises Narliru Village. Hannah also gets ill, which makes Maya furious. After Kentah's research they discover that this disease isn't natural. Maya, Hannah and Kentah decide to search for it's creator and the cure of the disease.

What I have made already (now in percentages, estimated by 5%):
- Story: 50-60%
- character sprites: 30%
- backgrounds: 5-10%
- inventory items: 5%
- events: 5%
- GUI's: 95%
- sound: 0-5%
- video's: 0% (maybe I include short anime-like movies, this isn't sure yet... If I make any, I'd only make an intro and (one of the) the end(s).)

*Other information:
- the disease's symptons: throwing up (not the usual stuff, but a mix of blood and genetically manipulated honey), heavy nightmares, fainting at unpredictable moments.

This is all I can tell for the moment...

Screenshots

Releases:

- 1rst Demo available!
Click here!
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Mordalles

souns really interesting!

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Darth Mandarb

I added the screenshots to the first post and unlocked the thread.

Thanks! ^.^

I really appreciate it!
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

calacver

WOW! looking cool. I like how you did the beach. very appealing graphics, it definitely looks RPG, reminds of the sailor moon RPG :)

Well, I love tilebased games. I admit I took the Sailor Moon sprites for porpotions, and that paid off splenditely!
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Mordalles

oh, those looke really nice! cant wait.

Well, I'm just starting creating games, so I guess this one will take a while. I'm trying to get a demo ready before next year, but I'm also working on a rather simple game just to learn the basics.

I'm glad you guys like it! ^.^
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Akumayo

I definately would like to play this one when it's finished, nice graphics too, I love the characters faces in talking frame!  Looking forward to this one's demo release  ;D
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

Aww, you're too sweet!

Oh, and uhm... In case you're wondering: The second screenshot features Maya's room. The man standing there is a merchant. I did the AGS tutorial with dialogs (and thus the merchant), and that was the only room available. I'm now moving him to the main square of Narliru Village. Sorry that the screenshot is a bit outdated, but I'll upload a better one soon enough!
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Kinoko

The first cutscene is added! I will soon put up a demo. IT will be short and very limited, but still...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Update!

I'm almost finished wth the main square of Narliru Village. I only need to finish this village and it's first events, and then my demo will be up! The demo will be until Hannah gets infected with the disease. It won't be too large, but I'll do my best.
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

scourge

I can't wait for this game, it looks very excellent :)

Thanks! It's hard work, but I'm doing my best.
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

scourge

Of course it is!

Update:

Narliru Village is almost finished! Only four rooms more, and a few events until the first demo.
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

scourge

have you decided upon genre yet? Will it be sort of an RPG but without the fighting? :)

keep up the good work!

Yup, it'll be a plain adventure, but you can still get different endings. I'm not sure how to get that right, maybe I'll post about that in the Technical forums...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Good news! YesterdagNIGHT I finished the first demo! ^^

I can't put it up yet, because I'm at school now, but it will be uploaded later this day when possible.

The demo is from the very beginning until you can travel by using the Travel Ball in the Travel Agency (some kind of magical device that lets you warp through Rasmarde, the land where the game takes place). It's short, simple, and I'm sure it won't be without mistakes, but I put a lot of work in it, and I hope it won't dissapoint you.

I hope you'll enjoy it!
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Well, the 1rst demo is up!

Please tell me if there's something totally wrong, I appreciate all help.

Well... enjoy it!!!
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Mordalles

hello, yurina.

i tried downloading the demo, but it asks for a password?

Akumayo

I seem to get some sort of other language page that displays what I believe is an error.  What is wrong?   ???

Blimey, I seem to have got a lot of errors.

Password Issue: The password is written in the readme that's included. I wantedto make sure you people read what I have to say. >=)

I once made a Dutch translation thingy, but it's outdated.
EDIT: This can also be because of my Dutch webhost.
EDIT END

Ingame issues:

You can only explore the village right now. I'm working on some bugs and errors.

I have to go now, my Dutch class is waiting. I'll add the better version ASAP.

Cheers!
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

scourge

hey :) i also tried downloading the demo, but

The link that hosts the demo asks for a password. I would love to read the readme for the game password, but first i need the website password to download it  ;)

Also the website is in a language unknown to me, so i can't register to get a password :)

please, i really wanna download it.

Khris

Right-click -> Save as... worked fine for me. No password, no site.

scourge

Queen Kara

It looks beautiful , I love Anime style games and RPGS / adventure games ..... Haven't played the demo yet , will edit post later when I have...lol

Thank you for making / working on this!
Best wishs.
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

Akumayo

Ooo, this is going to be a good one.  I like the interface a lot.  In the first part of the village, outside your house, there are some shops/houses that you can enter without the character actually walking to them first (as she does in the second part of the village).  I really like the backgrounds, they remind me a little of the old Zelda games.  I especially like the character's portraits that you talk to, they are way better than what I can make   :P.  Anyway, keep up the good work, and I'll look forward to the next demo.

-Regards, Akumayo

Thanks, everyone!

For the password, there is a readme included if I'm not mistaken. I used Winrar to zip it, and you need to read everything I have to say to you included in the text there. I wanted to make sure you read the creits, I think the people who made this game possible, like Eph (she has awesome tiles), would appreciate it.

I'll put up the improved in the weekend, maybe today.
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Mordalles

i still cant download it. it keeps asking for username and password when it should start downloading. i really want to read the readme, believe me, but doesnt help when i can't actually download the readme. and no, "right click and save as" doesnt work. like somebody mentioned.

That's odd, when I tried myself it worked... It seems that some people have trouble while others don't...

If someone knows a reliable host who wants to host this file, give me a PM.
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

So many problems, so little time...

I still don't have a host, so can anyone tell me where to get a reliable one?

I also have a fixed and up-to-date improved Demo without the bugs, but because the demo doesn't download good thus far for some people I'd rather put it up under the new host.

It's so anoying... AAAAAAARGH!!!
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Akumayo

As for file hosting, this is what I use:
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/upload/upload.html

And many people also use this:
http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsuploads/index.php

Both are run by/through AGS'ers, and they're pretty realiable.Ã,  I recommend both.

~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

And FINALLY I have the improved demo 1 up! For your convience I added the URL at both the first post of this topic as here.

http://www.freeuploader.com/view.php/90950.zip
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Akumayo

Hey, pretty cool.Ã,  I played through as far as I could get.Ã,  As far as bugs:
-When you try to enter the "Whatever's in Stock Shop" the player doesn't walk over to the door first, just... teleports... inside.
-When you look at the sign outside the "Whatever's in Stock Shop" the player walks all the way to the signpost, then stops and says what the shop is, instead of actually going and looking at the sign.

Spoiler
I got the radio, plushie, pink (unissess?) feather (is that what it is?), and the apple, but can't find any use for any of them!Ã,  Am I missing something, or has the demo just not progressed far enough for me to use them?
[close]

Oh, and, I think it would be nice if there were some interactions for Looking at the inventory items, because right now it's hard to tell what some of them are (see spoiler).

Overall I really like the feel of the game, the interface is nice, the character isn't too slow, and the dialog portraits are beautiful (though some characters don't have themÃ,  :( )

-Regards, Aelte Akumayo

As always Akumayo is a big help to me! ^^

I'll try to fix the Whatever-is-in-stock whop, I overlooked it.

How can make that select thingy? I'm not the smartest when it comes to forum codes, that's why I ask. And it's hard for me to answer spoiler questions when I can't make that area, isn't it?

I had trouble making look-at interactions for the messages, but I'll see what I can achieve (it was hard for me to actually get the message I gave to the inventory items on screen).

I don't use too much portraits because of the limited animtated sprites. I'd rather use different expressionportraits for the most important characters than use portraits for every personality, even if they aren't important.
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Akumayo

I see about the portraits.  As for making "spoilers", use the following code, removing the ~ signs.
[~hide]your spoiler text[~/hide]

-Regards, Aelte Akumayo

scourge

thanks, akumayo! :D

Here's the spoiler:
Spoiler
Not all items have a use yet. The plushie is a gift for your sister later on. The apple will be used as... I don't know yet ^^', the radio is a joke based on a tv-show in which some people tried or talking/playing music (de-)stimulated the growth of plants. It turns out that Black Metal gives the best result (I don't like Black Metal to be honest, but I found it too hilarious! The feather is used to buy a travel agency card which you need to complete the demo (I'm not telling where to get it or where to use it!). In the full game it will give you the possability to travel between cities. ...Am I mean?
[close]

I hope this can be of some use to you!

In general I didn't work too much on my game these weeks, so I can't promise there will be a new demo very soon. It's mortly the usual schoolstuff (homework... *shudders*) and my new bought game Kingdom Hearts that keep me busy. Also Dolls, and KiSS Dolls, and... My, I do more stuff than I thought... :S

Anyways, as soon as I get some of the backgrounds and the programming done I'll drop a note.

~yurina
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

This isn't actually an update, but I've posted a few nominationable thingies in the For Your Consideration thread.
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Bad news, my game is officially on hold. I know how I'll let the game continue, I have all characters right in my head. What's the problem you ask? The backgrounds and the sound.

* Backgrounds:
I hate my current backgrounds to be honest. The tiles don't look bad, but I'm bad at adding details, and I'm never convinced they look good. I also don't have the time to work on them. So I request help.
I'm looking for someone with tile experience who want to give me a home-made set of some locations I need to get done. I can send you sketches of the rooms I need. I'm not asking for one person to do all the work as long as the ones who help me out have backies who correspond good with eachother.

* Music and sound:
I need footsteps, flowing water, bees, birds ,some kind of sci-fi sound like you open a program which works with holograms (hard to describe) and maybe other things I can't think of now. I don't care where you get them or how you make them as long as they are not protected by patents, etc.
The music has to be a bit celtic and midieval. The world of Elesta is a fantasy-world with monsters, warriors, mages, etc. But this game focusses on something a bit different. The music and sound will maybe also be used for future Elestian Tales, be aware of that.

I'll also put this in this thread:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=24117.0

Just PM me if you want to offer your services.

~Yurina

EDIT: I updated the first post a bit.
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

scourge

I'd definitely help if i wasn't busy with my own RPG  :)

Goodluck, you're game is gonna be awesome. The demo rocked!

Hi all,

I'm working on this game again, so don't worry. ;)

I still need music artists, but the backgrounds are my major concern. I'm making 100% home-made tiles now, and they need a lot of time, but this way I can easily work out details without having to apply a style different from my own. I love Eph's but the colours are too bright and too grey for this game. Sorry Eph!

Anyways, I have refreshed energy, and I'll post some new screenshots when I get a new background done.

~Yurina

EDIT: I've updated the first post with a new statistic, namely story. I also changed a thing or two, but only trained eye's will be able to notice that. ;)
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

I'm very happy to announce my newest member of the crew: Akumayo.

Akumayo offered help for the backgrounds, which will speed up the game creation progress. Now I have more time to work on the characters I want to include, plus the details of the storyline.

However, I still need a musician to help me out... I've contacted some members, but... well, you can guess the outcome.

Just PM me when you want to help me with some music!

~Yurina
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Kaelem Gaen

Quick Question, what program you use to Zip this file?  the thing I use doesn't pop up with a Password window...
~ Chaos, panic, disorder...  My work is done here. ~

I use WinRar to zip them. I suppose you use WinZip or something different, I didn't test or WinZip opens the readme's instant, but WinRar does.

I'll test it out.

~Yurina
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

I'm very, very, VERY sorry to tell youI'm forced to put my game on hold again.

My parents removed the pc from my bedroom, which means I only have 1 hour and 30 minutes a day (if I'm lucky) to get some stuff done.

Currently I'm still trying to improve the backgrounds. I think they look weird with my sprites (don't ask). The portraits (and maybe the walking cycles) will also get a new look.

I can't do anything in AGS, since I was so stupid to not back the game project up on an USB stick or a floppydisc. *bangs head on table repeatidly* :(

I'm still trying to get my pc back. I'll drop a not when it's on my desk again.

~Yurina
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk