C&C on streetcorner BG

Started by vict0r, Tue 04/10/2005 19:08:46

Previous topic - Next topic

vict0r

What do you think of this? I am convinced that there is something very important missing from the pic, but i just dont see what :-\

Squinky

Looks like a good start. I think the biggest thing this picture lacks is depth. That window looks like is poking out of the wall. Heres a real quick example:

Also, more to look at would be nice. A poster on the wall, cracks, stains, a gutter with  dirt or garbage in it.....etc. Depends on what your going for there....

Krysis

Y not add a light otr sumthin?
It doesn't look like a corner to me. Looks like a small curve. ypu can add an edge. And give the player more eyecandy. Garbage cans, posters. Maybe more of the city too.  ;D

vict0r

aussie

As someone said, it's a good start, but it looks empty.

What about a couple of rubbish bins or a street light...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Ishmael

Your new version seems to me it still lacks depth.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

CodeJunkie

I have a few problems with the background so far:

-The perspective is off on the depth in the window, I think the left part of the frame should be covered up by the wall, like in Squinky's edit.  The glass is probably not completely opaque either, even a bit of blue-tinted wall behind it would help the depth.

-The composition's slightly strange.  The building seems very close, oppressive almost.  The tiny bit of background to the right is too small, right now it seems like a poorly thought out photo.  Also, I think a street corner should be lonely, and this picture doesn't show the surroundings.  Some emptiness in the background would help, I'd assume some sort of streets.

-The lighting is quite nice, but I think it could be better still.  When I think of a street corner, I'd think of very dark surroundings, and a streetlight just about lighting up the area, maybe some overhead things that block out some of the light.

Don't take this too harshly, I'm not a great artist by far.  Some of what I say might be wrong, or you might not be going for the type of scene I had in mind.  I just get bored of the overused back-entrance-to-a-pub scene with old posters and several trashcans etc. that seems to be everywhere.
Hope some of this helps :)

vict0r

I fixed the window and added a lamppost. Its not ment to be a "back-entrance-to-a-pub scene with old posters and several trashcans etc. that seems to be everywhere" but merely a sidewalk on a normal street :P What do you think now?

DanClarke

Looks a lot better in your edit, although im a little confused as to the label 'street corner' seeing as there isnt really a corner in it as such :p

Perhaps yyou could add some detail into whats inside the window?

vict0r

Well what is a street corner then? Ill try to add some detail in the window.

IM NOT TEH SPAM

I think he meant that it isn't a corner... just a street.  Although there's a little bit of a turn you can see at the edge, it's more like this: _.  And should probably be more like this:  _|
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk