CMI (not CSI) style room (pt II)

Started by Kiddie, Mon 03/10/2005 03:39:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddie

Not the same room, (I like doing new stuff :D)  Some of you should be able to recognize what 'inspired' this room hehe. :)  I'm not so concerned with the coloring (I think it looks like youre looking through a dirty fishtank personally), I'm more interested in the camera angle.  Anything anyone wants to share, add , tweak, or anything, be my guest, I'd love to know what I'm doing right and wrong. :)

vict0r

The style looks very nice. I love the series CSI, but unless the topic name had been "CSI style room" i wouldnt have seen it ;) And i still dont see it actually. You should try to add some other colors :).

Paper Carnival

This is very nice, but the perspective is weird. If it's supposed to be two rooms seperated by the black line then it won't be a big problem. But what stands out to me is the cupboards. The one on the left is taller than the ones on the right, so the upper line needs to be fixed a bit. The cupboards on the right are supposed to be about the same height, maybe a bit taller (because they are closer to the camera). Other than that I like the color, even though its all green. You might need to fix the pencil lines too, even though they give a special style they can be distracting

Krysis

Great job. :)
The doors dont look the same size wich is a bit strange. The right one seems narrow. And the right cupboard's side is a bit too ")" if u know what I mean. But its great. :)
Is that a another MM remake or something? Oh, and it looks like a concept art more than a room.

Scummbuddy

Quote from: vict0r on Mon 03/10/2005 13:36:04
The style looks very nice. I love the series CSI, but unless the topic name had been "CSI style room" i wouldnt have seen it ;) And i still dont see it actually. You should try to add some other colors :).

You're teh silly. Its CMI. It was a typo.

And I definitly saw the Maniac Mansion 1 inspiration, but I do have to agree, with this color scheme, and multiple lines, it does seem to look more like concept art. But it's looking nice!
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

ildu

I like it a lot. Much deserved artistic freedom on the perspective. And I really like the multiple lines. Shows an original style. My only gripe is the lack of surface on the knives and the oven discs. Also, the lighting of the sink is a bit dodgy, not giving an illusion of depth. The windows are a bit of a concern. For the first minutes I looked at the image I didn't recognize them as windows. Maybe you should add curtains that cover most of the windows. That way you don't have to worry about the lack of detail for the room exterior. Otherwise looks great to me. Reminds me a bit of Shadowplay.

Kiddie

Thank's everyone for the kind words!  Yes I did mean CMI, not sure what happened there.  I never watch CSI.  ???  *edits*

And yes it was just a sketch, nothing finished by any means.  The multiple lines I think will be gone, but perhaps not, I'm not sure.  They seem to remind me of another favorite artist of mines style (Stephen Gammel).  If there are multiple lines like that, they'll be alot less noticable in the final version.

Janik

Is that a chainsaw next to the knives? What kind of kitchen is this  ;D ?

I like your style a lot. It looks to me like the light from the right window is more to the left than the light from the left window - or is that a perspective effect?
Play pen and paper D&D? Then try DM Genie - software for Dungeons and Dragons!

Kiddie

Quote from: Janik on Tue 04/10/2005 05:51:22
Is that a chainsaw next to the knives? What kind of kitchen is this  ;D ?

I like your style a lot. It looks to me like the light from the right window is more to the left than the light from the left window - or is that a perspective effect?

It's a special kitchen with some 'unique' residents. :D  And yes the right window light is shining more to the left, but it's a perspective effect.  It is/will be moonlight, and the moon is to the right, so I believe that's how the light would look.  Atleast I think so.  :-\

Kiddie

update, clean lines with basic shading almost done:

texture and highlights next. :D

vict0r

Man, that looks relly neat! :D Good thing you ment CMI instead of CSI cause it had no similarity whatsoever :P *offtopic*May i ask what paint program you are using? Im looking for a free but good paint program thats not ms paint :-\

DanClarke

looks nice, the only thing that looks odd to me is the oven door the top angle where the glass goes accross needs to be similar to the bottom one. Other than that its nice, and i love hte colour and tone in the 1st one too.

Janik

Quote from: Kiddie on Tue 04/10/2005 06:02:26
It's a special kitchen with some 'unique' residents. :D  And yes the right window light is shining more to the left, but it's a perspective effect.  It is/will be moonlight, and the moon is to the right, so I believe that's how the light would look.  Atleast I think so.  :-\

Ok, that makes sense. But I think what threw me off is that the light from the left window hits the floor but the not the bottom part of the wall.
Play pen and paper D&D? Then try DM Genie - software for Dungeons and Dragons!

Andail

This is a great basic structure. Crisp clean with nice smooth curves and lines.
I really look forward to seeing it coloured! Let us know the result, and if you bump into any problems.

esper

Like I said before (did I say it before ::searches through previous posts:: ) Oh, wait, no! I didn't! How could I miss saying something about this awesome BG when I first saw it!!! This is really cool, and I LOVE the original, which is much more creepy and has a much nicer feel to it... even though the second is better drawn, the first is much more immersive. It really is fantastic.

My only real gripe is that, in both of them, the cabinet on the left overhangs the window too much. You can see this if you look at the top perspective lines on that cabinet... the one on the left is much longer than the one on the right. Also, the stovetop isn't drawn up to par with the rest of the picture.

I would really like to see you keep the lighting effects from the concept art with the finished project. It really gives it a great feel, and is also real eye candy.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk