Demo Quest 3-1: DEPRECATED - DO NOT POST

Started by DemoQuest, Sat 15/10/2005 04:20:54

Previous topic - Next topic

DemoQuest

News

• 2007-12-01 - Thanks to auriond for providing a home to DemoQuest.  Everything should be online now.  PM RickJ if any of the links below are still broken.
  • 2006-12-20 - Ok Beta-3 is available from the links below.   It has been upgraded to be fully compliant (AFIK) with AGS 2.72 script language and the new Sting data type.   The DqLec and DqVerbCoin mini games still use the old style strings while all other mini games and DemoQuest itself use new style strings. 
  • 2006-12-20 - Ok Beta-3 is available from the links below.   It has been upgraded to be fully compliant (AFIK) with AGS 2.72 script language and the new Sting data type.   The DqLec and DqVerbCoin mini games still use the old style strings while all other mini games and DemoQuest itself use new style strings. 
  • 2006-12-17 - Updating script to AGS 2.72 is complete and will be released very soon.  The text documents below have been updated with some minor changes. 
  • 2005-10-15 - Welcome to the new DemoQuest thread.  We have created a virtual forum member DemoQuest so that the job of maintaining this thread may be assumed by current or future team members.   The top post was copied here from the old thread and the old thread has been locked. 

Current Release (Beta-3) Dec 20, 2006
DemoQuest is now compliant with the V2.72 script language and the new String type.   The MiniGame module has been refined using some of the new V2.72 features and has been included with this release.  Note:  This version of MiniGame is not compatiable with previous versions so if you intend to play around with any of the mini games make sure you get a fresh copy from the links below.   
DemoQuest3Sod1-S0100-B03.zip  (3Mb)

Mini-Games
The Arcade and Gui rooms have been converted to mini-games.   They can now be played from within DemoQuest just as before and they may also may be played directly from the OS.  Beta releases of all the mini games are available below.  They come with source code, graphics, etc.
DemoCycle-A0100
DemoSlot-S0100  
DqAgi-S0100-B03  
DqAgiPnC-S0100-B02  
DqSci0-S0100-B02  
DqSciPnC-S0100-B02  
DqVerbCoin-S0100-B02  

Modules
The following modules have been created as part of the DemoQuest project.
MiniGame-M0100 (module only)
MiniGame-T0100 (template example)

Documentation
There are a number of documents describing how various elements of this project were produced.  These may be helpful to other developers and are therefore included with the DemoQuest Distribution as follows:  Please let us  know if you find any error or have any other comments. 
Readme
Change Log
Game Palette
Technical Specifications

Programming Conventions
Module Programming Guidlines
Distribution File Naming Convention

Global Script Template
Module Header Template
Module Script Template
Room Script Template
Script Header Template
Change Log Template
Readme Template

Lesser General Public License
Free Documentation License
Creative Commons License (text)
Creative Commons License (html)

Credits
The identities of many contributors to previous versions of Demo Quest have been lost to posterity.   There was a record of the DemoQuest 2 team's activities on EZ-Board but that too has been lost.   We are making an attempt to keep track of who is doing what from this point forward.   If anyone has any information about previous contributions please send a PM to the author of this post, the DemoQuest team.   It is not our intention to take credit for the efforts of previous contributors but rather to document our current and future efforts.   Please let us know about any additional information that should be included in the credits and we will gladly do so. 

Help Wanted
DemoQuest has been a community effort for a very long time.   So if you have some spare time and are looking for something to work on then here is your chance to become famous.   Everyone is welcome!   Just send us a PM telling us what you would like to do and we'll do our best to get you onboard.   

Contact Us
If you have any comments or suggestion or would like to contribute to the project just send a PM to any of the individuals listed below.  DemoQuest is a virtural member of the forum that allows multiple individuals to administer this thread.  Consequently, PM's sent to DemoQuest may not be answered in a timely fashion.

RickJ

Spitfire

It plays superly. I like what progress you gyts have made this far. Keep it up.

Nikolas

Privateer Puddin'

aussie

It's awesome.

I wish I had such a comprehensive demo quest when I first started using AGS (there was a pretty good one back then, but much more focused on the basics).

One thing: when you step on the slime you just get booted out of the game. Is that intentional?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

DemoQuest

It's awesome.
It plays superly.
Thanks for the compliments guys.   

I may not get it, but what's with the date?
We created a new thread so that any of the team members could be assigned the job of maintaining the top thread.   You just happened to look in the middle of the process. 

One thing: when you step on the slime you just get booted out of the game. Is that intentional?
Yes and No.  It's intentional that you can't cross the slime.  We were thinking of doing a LSL death thingy but in a non-annoying way.   In the mean time we just did something quick and dirty.  What would you like to see here?

Pumaman

Good work, guys!

Now, I know I was going to add this to the AGS Download page, but what would be the best way of packaging the mini-games for that purpose? I'd like to just have one Demo download -- would it be best to include everything, or just include the main demo game and then tell people they can download the mini-games sepeatrely?

RickJ

I guess it all comes down to file size.  Provided that the file size is "reasonable", putting them into one zip would be best.  However, the downloadee would have to prserve th sub-directory structure when unzipping or else they would have a real mess. 

Also, I was wondering if we should update this to V2.71 and realeas the next Beta.

Kweepa

Quote from: RickJ on Sun 16/10/2005 16:38:26
However, the downloadee would have to prserve th sub-directory structure when unzipping or else they would have a real mess.Ã, 

Does anyone *not* preserve the directory structure when unzipping? That's crazy talk.

Quote from: aussie
I wish I had such a comprehensive demo quest when I first started using AGS (there was a pretty good one back then, but much more focused on the basics).

Is there still a small, simple demo? This beast is probably quite daunting for the beginner.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

aussie

Quote from: DemoQuest on Sun 16/10/2005 04:52:10

Yes and No.Ã,  It's intentional that you can't cross the slime.Ã,  We were thinking of doing a LSL death thingy but in a non-annoying way.Ã,  Ã, In the mean time we just did something quick and dirty.Ã,  What would you like to see here?

My suggestion is that you get a death message explaining what just happened and allowing you to go back to the same position, restart or restore.

Getting booted out gives the impression that the demo game has crashed.

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sun 16/10/2005 19:04:32
Is there still a small, simple demo? This beast is probably quite daunting for the beginner.

I guess that's the flip side of the coin.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

RickJ

Does anyone *not* preserve the directory structure when unzipping? That's crazy talk.
You would be surprised how many people try to run AGS without unzipping the file.  :=   One could get away with unzipping a single game without preserving the directory structure.   The usual consequence would be that the compiled folder would be recreated on the first compile and there would be some extra, unnecessary files in the source or main folder.   The point is that there should perhaps be a sentence somewhere explaining this, as obvious as it may be to some of us. 

Have you checked out any of the mini-games?  I hadn't put any thought into them regarding this need, as I was focused on getting the conversion done,  but it seems to me this would be the ideal way of handling this issue.

My suggestion is that you get a death message explaining what just happened and allowing you to go back to the same position, restart or restore.
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines, except making the restart be automatic and possibly adding an animation.

aussie

Quote from: RickJ on Mon 17/10/2005 15:43:26
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines, except making the restart be automatic and possibly adding an animation.

If I understand correctly, the demo is a way of walking the player through AGS scripting and whatnot. Therefore I think automatic stuff should be avoided. The player should know exactly what is going on.

But that's just my opinion. You're doing an excellent job without me meddling.

IM NOT TEH SPAM

In the verb coin room from the hall of GUIs has no way of exiting--Only save, load, and restart.
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

RickJ

In the verb coin room from the hall of GUIs has no way of exiting--Only save, load, and restart.
Press Ctrl-Q to quit.   

Andail

There are quite a few bugs, at least when I played it. Especially when dealing with the inventory window, where the sprites suddenly were messed up and replaced by other sprites, and where the dialogues (when looking at stuff) shifted from being a text box, a dialogue line covered by the inventory box (hence illegible) and a dialogue line showing after the inventory window was closed.

Furthermore...the character sprites are still pretty ugly. I wish somebody could whip up something brand new, considering how many talented sprite artists we have.

The idea of not letting the character step onto the sidewalk - or down to the street - is old but still absurd.

The close up screen for the club on the far left is ugly.

Well, I shouldn't complain, but with so many contributers, I'd hope for some changes :(

Gilbert

Quote from: Andail on Tue 18/10/2005 09:48:53
Furthermore...the character sprites are still pretty ugly. I wish somebody could whip up something brand new, considering how many talented sprite artists we have.
Maybe for much better result, change it to the original roger drawn by talented CJ. ;D

The idea of not letting the character step onto the sidewalk - or down to the street - is old but still absurd.
How can that be removed? It's accurate reference to the original demo. :=

Actually I don't care, as it's a demo on how to make things work, as long as it's functional and easy to disembody and explore, it serves its purposes already.

* Gilbot V7000a actually hadn't downloaded it yet.

ZZjZmoz

Where is the development of DQ3 going on at now? I've been looking at the BluSoft and DQ3 forums, but they haven't been updated since 2004 or so.

Also, my new username is themidgethotel, so you'll probably never, ever hear from ZZ ever again unless I'm updating my old posts for some reason.

Released Late August 2007

Hollister Man

Hmm, good question ZZ / TheMidgetHotel

I have kept paying dues on DQ3 forums, but I don't know what's up.  I kinda gave up on it when the general consensus seemed to be smaller, standalone demos were better.

Its a fun concept for a game, but I felt it wasn't well enough supported to really make much progress overall.  I'd be happy to help with scripting again, but I can't carry the project like I had to in the days leading up to the release of DQ3Demo.
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

DemoQuest

Beta-3 is now avaiale.    DemoQuest is now fully compliant with V2.72 script language, including new style strings.   The same is true for all the mini games except DqVerbCoin and DqLec which are still using the old style strings.

Cheers.

SPYDAVE

Any word on when Demo Quest will be available again?

Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk