Sprite Jam: Sports Illustrated: WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Started by Nacho, Thu 27/10/2005 14:14:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho

Here it is... Epic moments in sport, the most epic, the better... choose carefully. The most recognisable moment, the better. As in my case, it's not very clear, you can type the moment itself, I.E "Montana passing the ball in the last play and giving the 1982 championship to the 49ers" I wouldn't care if the image is not clear but the moment is epic enough and it can be recogniseable when reading the headline.

The more photorealistic, the better.

You must use the template of the magazine cover. 22 colours, 23 if you do not count the blue of the templates below.

Ok, here come the serious point (This is for you to learn to choose colours and palletes before starting painting, hope it works for learning pixelart as I am doing now):

-The four colours in the right are compulsory, use them (Sports Illustrated logo blue and white, the yellow letters, and the green background).
-Three of the colours must have 4 tones, and you must say why are you using it. In my example, 4 flesh tones, 4 tones of red for the t-shirt, and 4 for the ball. You can mix some of this colours if you don't do it very noticeable, for example, I've used some pinks of the ball for anti-alising the number 16 in the t-shirt.
-one of the colours can have 6 tones, if you are doing something that needs more detail, such as my helmet.

Hope it is clear. If not, use my image as reference.
- Use the magazine template (70X100)
- Use the 4 compulsory colours.
- 3 colours with 4 tones each (12) and where are you using them.
- 1 colour with 6 tones.

4+12+6=22.

It's easy!Ã,  :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

loominous

Perhaps add some clause about usage of references, that is, if usage of such, and if so to what extent, will affect the winner selection, especially since the goal is photorealism.

While winning is probably not the reason people enter this comp, it would probably be discouraging for participants who refrain from using references, or use them merely to study, to be beaten by people pixelizing photos, or similar techniques.
Looking for a writer

Nacho

Yeah, all references you want may be used, but of course, do not copy and paste, you won't be able to, though, because a photo image would increase the colour of numbers.

What I do is resize the photo and then trace in one colour the outlines and then colour. You can explain your tecniques too.

No matter if you do it with reference or scratch people. But if you do a mini tutorial and it works for improving our skills, it will surelly be in my mind if there are draws.

Krysis

Ã,  Ã, 

Mike bites aN ear. :)
EDIT: I just wanna congratulate Big Brother for his future win in this Sprite comp. He allways wins.  ;D

Nacho

Woha! that was a moment indeed! It is great, but remember you gotta tell where do you use the tones, but well, it is quite noticeable, brown flesh colours, white flesh colours... Good work, but I'd personally use more colours, you used 18 and I've used that 4 extra colours giving some more depth to some parts. But a great entry, anyway!

Being the first and breaking the ice will be in my mind if there are draws! ;)

calacver

congrats on your win in the previous round farlander.

However i do feel the sprites is being taken out of the sprite competition. How about creating another competition for photorealistic pics where people can improve on their colouring skills.

Nacho

Come one, don't make me feel bad about this  :'(  I think sprite Jam is lovely because it changes every week. Now it is the turn for photorealistic. Next week maybe the smaller the better (I hosted one of those, remember)? And I think people (well, Krysis) is making a good job. I downloaded the image and worked a little adding pure black to some zones... It is working for me for learning new things.

Anyway, even telling we've been taken out the competition lately might sound bad, it is good if you see it in the way "This new focus is so good that deserves another competition"... Dunno, we could arrange a discussion in another thread, but let this clean for entries and next week we will see.

Thanks! :)

Scummbuddy

First of all, you will never improve if you just dismiss this competition. Try it out, several times; make a couple entries and pick your favorite.

And this is still a "sprite" as it could be an inventory item, or a close-up object. So it is very valid in this competition. Plus, we don't want 50 seperate competitions running around that gets one or no entries.

I'll try and have my entry in this weekend.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

sovka

The Wembley Goal.

It's not widely known that World Cup winners like France and Uruguay are cheaters. If you only won in your own country then that's cheating, sorry (and in 1950 the Uruguayan squad probably walked to Brazil.) Of course the English are the biggest cheaters of them all. They didn't only play in their own stadium at the '66 final, they also couldn't win without scoring this ridiculous goal!
We'll be ripping that star off of your jerseys in 2006!  :=

I used two photos: 1 2 and gave ol' Tilkowski some color. Pink for skin, red for shirt and ball, green for grass and net, brown for shading, dirt and keeper clothing.

Nacho

Mmmm... interesting entry. Historical lesson, scenario composition, and colour from B&W sources. Congratulations and welcome to the forums.

Mordalles

at the olympic games in athens, greece wins one its 6 gold medals.
this is halkia fani, winner of the women's 400m hurdles, the only track event gold medalist of greece in 2004 (if you don't count walking, which i dont), going over the line in the moment of glory.

this was a big moment for greece, as they hosted the games, and the games originally started in athens.
and i think she was not a favourite for the title, but very much an underdog.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Darth Mandarb

This is probably my favorite moment in sporting history ... I was on my feet cheering!

For those who don't know, it's Brandi Chastain after she scored the game winning goal against China in the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup.  What a moment!!

Oh ... 22 colors.

[edit] - slight update to my entry

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Nick on Fri 28/10/2005 13:14:52
german propaganda

that was soo a goal, the russian linesman said so ¬¬ :D

InCreator

Here's my favourite:

Estonian athlete Erki Nool at discus throwing. He won decathlete gold medal in Sydney Summer Olympics 2000.*

* - The victory was really big deal, since in country with only 1,4 million population, good sportsmen are very rare to find, and his success both raised new hopes/belief in sports and easened some tense between our usually never-too-peaceful ethnic groups (Estonians and Russians: everybody cheered for Erki together)

Since I'm usually totally wild with 24-bit palette, I was really scared to use too much colors. Now looking at it, I understand that I was way too cautious. Also I didn't have any good photos to trace, so it's quite freestyled. But the national-colors outfit is correct.

Nacho

Cool entries... Darth I got disconnected yesterday and not able to re-connect, damn wireless. :)

Nacho

I have a winner. Congrats InCreator!

A difficult decission between the three last entries, but Darth is my best "non personally meet" AGS friend and I thought it should have been unfair to choose him, because more aspects than the artistical incurr.

And I prefered InCreator's flesh pallete better than Mordaller. A pitty, but when things are that close any little thing may help deciding.

Thanks to the competitors! :)

Gilbert

An activity started on 27th October which should end after 1 week? But it's only 31st October today!

Anyway I don't care, when's the deadline is decided by whoever hosting the activity, I'll update the Hall of Fame anyway. :=

Nacho

Sorry... I thought I started it in monday... I am not very good with numbers...  ::) I think we should go on because I've announced the winner and it should be a bummer for him if new entries defeat InCreator. :)

Gilbert

Anyway, I had updated the Hall of Fame already, and I don't care much, so congratulate InCreator! You may start your new round of Sprite Jam now, due to premature ej... termination of this round. :=

Also, no more entries to this thread, you may post sprites but they would not be coutned as entries anymore. (I usually won't lock an activity thread until the winner had replied)

InCreator

Heh, unless big brother wasn't planning on entering and totally pwning us all, I think it's all fine. Though Darth's entry was better, IMO.

Spoiler
to be honest, I don't like winning on AGS compos: hosting a new one is something i'd rather avoid
[close]

Okay, I'll start a new one now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk