Coding Contest: WINNER: Babar

Started by SSH, Thu 27/10/2005 18:59:47

Previous topic - Next topic

scourge

Nice one Zor. Is there anyway to beat the game, or is it just a 'see how long you survive'?

Phemar

Well it's mostly a see-how-long-you-survive. It's sort of like an arcade game so you just have to see what the most of amount of points you can get is.

SSH

Well, in the spriti of the entires so far, I haven't followed rule 2 either, but I will later... when I get around to it.

Here is roger's fight game. Thanks to ProgZMax for the clubbing animation and Neil Dnuma for the dancing animation.

click on guy on left to hit
on yourself to defend
right-click to increase power (2nd number on status line)
or use keys:
Z defend, X increase power, C attack

Download here

Needs 2.71RC3 to edit game, but to just play, go into compiled folder and run the EXE there.

Phemar

SSH

Well, scotch and scummbuddy both said they might enter, so feel free to vote after the deadline at midnight tonight... it would be nice to get some constructive feedback, so when you vote if you can please list the pros and cons of your choice (and all the others, if you like)

SSH

He-Man

I don't mean to be a bitch but Zor stole my idea from my game Mafioso Overkill.
But he made it better so I guess it's allright. Plus he is helping other people with his code.
I guess He's forgiven.
My latest game of this kind made in AGS can be found here (if you do not believe me):
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=23605.0
I don't hope that I've made anybody mad by going a little off-topic, but I just needed to whine a little...

EDIT:
Sorry Zor, I didn't mean to upset you. Stole may be a too harsh word. I just wanted to say that I you did a good job expanding my idea. And I think that's these forum are all about: improving through eachother.

Phemar

Sorry He-Man, but I don't really see HOW I'm stealing your idea ... Mafioso Overkill was kinda the inspiration, but I don't think I STOLE the idea really.
I mean, sure there are similiar elements, but aren't all games of this shooter genre similiar this way?

Did Half-Life steal Quake's idea because the gameplay is similiar and you're shooting aliens? No.
Did Day of the Tentacle steal Monkey Island's idea because you have to solve puzzles in both games? No.

I mean, my GUI is completely different and I'm pretty sure you coded yours completely differently!

I'm sorry really if you feel your 'idea' has been stolen, but I don't feel like I owe an apology.

-Zor

Afflict

Well I vote for ZOR.

*Its the better between all of them, I really like the fact that you
run out of ammo.
*Nice graphics.
*Not hard to play.

The canyone one was boring, no AI and stuff.
Roger fight thingy was wierd, didnt like it being a mousey game... liked the adjusting of strength and stuff.
The Gord entry was unrealistic.

All interesting fight engines though.

Ishmael

All are gameplaywise very good, but what goes for the game rules...

Zor's didn't include any inclusion instructions into the game that I could find.
I find myself not in the position to vote for Babar's entry, and
I couldn't really get the hang of Gord's entry, which didn't have the source to look at either.

And thus I vote for SSH, who'se idea is really neat in the scene - atleast was new to me - and the code is commented decently, atleast to my taste.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

IM NOT TEH SPAM

APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

scourge

i VOTE for ZOR.

his code wasn't that neat, but the game was the most fun.

SSH's code was better but the game lacked. The roger fight was too un-userfriendly with mouse.

babar, no constructive comment

Gord10, i wanna know when i hit someoneÃ,  :) maybe some blood or knockback. I had to keep looking at the health meter.

Ubel

Okay, now guys, most of you are really voting for the wrong reasons. Yes, Zor's game was lots of fun and it had some very nice graphics, but if I tried to make a game using his codes, I would probably fail. It's a coding contest afterall. And Zor's coding is really messy (sorry Zorry, but that's how it is :)).

QuoteNice graphics.
Quotefor no reason other than it was fun
Quotehis code wasn't that neat, but the game was the most fun

These aren't very good reasons to vote in a coding contest IMO.

Anyways, I had a hard time choosing between SSH and Babar. Both of yours scripts were very user friendly and easy to understand, especially SSH's because he used a module. But I decided to go for Babar's entry. Now there's a script I could use in a minigame for some adventure. The gameplay was good and the idea was nice too. And let's not forget the simple coding. So Babar it is.

PS. Stefano, your graphics really bring this baby alive!

scourge

Quote from: Pablo on Tue 22/11/2005 22:16:25
Okay, now guys, most of you are really voting for the wrong reasons. Yes, Zor's game was lots of fun and it had some very nice graphics, but if I tried to make a game using his codes, I would probably fail. It's a coding contest afterall. And Zor's coding is really messy (sorry Zorry, but that's how it is :)).

QuoteNice graphics.
Quotefor no reason other than it was fun
Quotehis code wasn't that neat, but the game was the most fun

These aren't very good reasons to vote in a coding contest IMO.

Granted :) This is a coding contest afterall. But i'm gonna stick with my vote since i don't like changing. And i still think gameplay has to count for something at least and the code that produces it :)

Phemar

Quote from: Ishmael on Tue 22/11/2005 21:41:29
Zor's didn't include any inclusion instructions into the game that I could find.

I don't think any of the entries included rule #2 ... (but if you look right at the top of my global script you might find something which says something sort of like rule #2!)

Thanks to everyone who's voted for me so far!

PsychicHeart

i vote for babar's game, it had that certain element of action and was great fun to boot!!
Zor's was pretty good too.
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

SSH

I've uploaded an improved version of my game with some commenting in the code and a background for the fight, rather than just blackness. Also, please note that the link I originally gave in my summary of Gord' game only had the game and no source, but if you followed his own link youcould get the source code. I have now added the source link too.

Zor: your game is pretty fun and I like how you used characters and objects for your huge numbers of aliens. I think the difficulty level needs adjusting a bit, as its very hard to die, apart from when you run out of ammo. Even then, it can take ages. Oh, and sometimes aliens get stuck when they come down the narrow alley... The code, however, is unreadable and this is a coding contest with the stated aim of being reusable.

Babar: Wow! The upgraded graphics are great! Nice coding (although try and indent things a bit more consistently, and put a few more comments in). The game itself maybe needs a few more things to shoot, though.

Gord/Ahmet/Coolblue: Some more animation of the punches/kicks would be nice, and it is hard to tell what the rules are for HP to get reduced, exactly. Code is OK, about same level as Babar's.

I vote for Babar, as he did something different and stretched himself.

And in terms of how nice the code is, I definately pwn  ;) , but as we see, the public don't always consider that..

Ishmael

I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Well, whatever the result of this I sure hope we'll see 4 new modules/templates. ;D
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk