Dark of Night - release something

Started by Barbarian, Sun 30/10/2005 11:56:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarian

Greetings mighty Adventurers.

Inspired by the "Release Something - Halloween Edition, Oct.2005"Ã,  event, I dusted-off an old project that was in the beginning stages, I've decided to go ahead and release this short, but "spooky" little adventure game just in time for Halloween.

More game and download info can be found at the following link:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=637

I didn't have time to make up a new and more fitting main-character sprite this time, so yes, I know it looks a bit out of place with the backgrounds.

Ã,  Still, overall I think people may enjoy this game for the short time it might take to play through it.Ã,  When I first started this little project a while back, I was experimenting with trying to get some really cool looking & sounding "lightning & thunder" effects in a rain storm scenario.Ã,  I wanted to create a bit of a scary setting for the player to explore, and I think it mostly comes off.

If there's enough interest from people regarding this project, then I may go ahead and continue to work on it and make it a more full sized adventure game with improved character sprites, more interesting puzzles and a more thought out "story".

Okay, so give it a try and feel welcome to post back here with any comments / critisism / bugs.Ã,  Thanks!
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Chicky

Yay! That was fun! :)

The rain/thunder/lighting effects really added to the whole atmosphere but the poor puzles and cartoony main char took that away.

The backgroundsd were beautiful, did you make them yourself or are they ripped? The lantern effect was very nice, well coded!

good fun, thanks for releasing it.

Gord10

Really nice :) I loved the effects much. I think you should keep on this game.
Spoiler
Does the game ends when we find the stairways to the sea?
[close]
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Barbarian

Thanx for the comments guys.

Chicky: I completely agree with most of what you say.Ã,  I actually intended for the main character to be more "realistic" looking, but as I just decided to dust-off this old project about a week ago, I didn't have the time to make a suitable looking character sprite for the game, so I just re-used my "cartoony" looking character sprites from my old Escape From Evergreen Forest game. Well, at least it beats havings the old default Roger sprites running around thereÃ,  ;) Sorry Roger, we all luvs ya! hehehÃ,  :=

Also, when I first started on this project a while back, I was mainly seeing what kind of effects I could do with the lightning / thunder / rain, so at that point it wasn't really a story or plot specifically in mind.Ã,  But when the "Release Something" event came up again, and for a Halloween release date, I thought that maybe I could quickly throw enough of something together with the start of this old project, to make something that would fit in with a "Halloween" type of theme too.Ã,  ;D

So, if I do decide to go ahead and re-make this project into a more full-sized adventure, I would take the time to make up good looking character sprites, think out plot/story to follow, and more interesting puzzles.

Regarding the backgrounds: I "borrowed" (screen-captured) them from the "Alone in the Dark - 4" game, but I had to do a lot of editing on the pictures to clean them up and make them useable for my little game.

FlashLight Plugin by: a-v-o. I used this for the latern effect, as well as playing around with it to get a cool looking lightning effect.

Rain Plugin by: Scorpiorus.Ã,  I used this for the wonderful raining effect.

Ã,  Gord: Thanx for the inspiration man. I may then decide to rework this into a better project.Ã,  Regarding your question, no, the game does not end at that point you mentioned. When you finish the game, you'll know it. There's more areas to explore, but you need to
Spoiler
find a way past the big thorn bush that is blocking the path in the forest
[close]
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Mozesh

Another great game Don,  I'm stuck though:
Spoiler
How do I get the cat?, if I need to anyway. Or atleast where do I find what I need to help solve the ghost's 'quest'?
[close]

Barbarian

Mozesh: Thanks for the positive comments. Nice to know people are enjoying my little adventure despite it's short length and lack of good character sprites.  :P

Regarding your questions, I guess I can sneak in a little hint here as my game is so short anyways:
Spoiler
If you are already seen the "Ghost", then you may already have something it needs. When you help the Ghost, then something will be revealed to you in regards to the Cat.
[close]
;)

Rosie

Really enjoyed your game....The lightning and lighting effects were very good.  Cant wait to see more from you.  Thanks

Mordalles

great game. although, im stuck without really doing anything. haha.
i love the feel and weather.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Mozesh

Finished it, didn't know how obvious the solution was :P . Great game Don!

splat44

Hi Barbarian,

It's a great game.

I would recommend using brighter colors to cat's eyes as in that area in pretty dark.

If is wasn't hints I've seen, I would have never be able to solve that.
Big thank to all for your cat hints.

Regards

birdyx

Great game, however I'm stuck finding the broken barrel. I've talked to the skeleton several times, left & returned to the room at the top of the bloody stairs and looked every where for the barrel with the mouse. Am I missing something?

R4L

You do know that this thread is 2 years old right?  ;)

Candle

Quote from: R4L on Thu 15/03/2007 00:13:00
You do know that this thread is 2 years old right?  ;)
spooky huh.

thewalrus

This is gonna be locked soon....  :o

Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Tuomas

Why not wait until he breaks the rules first? I hope barbarian sees this, I haven't completed this myself, so I can't help you anymore :(

Ieremiou

Quote from: birdyx on Wed 14/03/2007 21:55:03
Great game, however I'm stuck finding the broken barrel. I've talked to the skeleton several times, left & returned to the room at the top of the bloody stairs and looked every where for the barrel with the mouse. Am I missing something?
Just finished playing it...
Spoiler
Right after you leave the skeleton, the scene before you exit back into the rain there is an old barrel near the middle left of the screen. look in there and then take what's inside it.
[close]
Ieremiou
-----------

Love of Adventure games everywhere :)

Layabout

Quote from: R4L on Fri 16/03/2007 23:00:44
Quote from: Candle on Thu 15/03/2007 01:31:00
Quote from: R4L on Thu 15/03/2007 00:13:00
You do know that this thread is 2 years old right?Ã,  ;)
spooky huh.

It truly scares me!Ã,  :o

It's less scary than someone starting a fresh thread about this game...
I am Jean-Pierre.

EKM

Hmm, just played and finished this mini game. I thought the atmosphere and setting was awesome. It's perfect for Halloween.

You should work on a full game. I was just getting into it and then boom, it's over. Make one with a solid storyline to it and I'm sure it'll be even greater.

R4L

Maybe you've noticed this at the first post:

«  on: 30 Oct 2005, 11:56 »

::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk