Suggestion: More walk-behinds

Started by Kinoko, Tue 01/11/2005 09:37:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinoko

Would it be possible to get an increase in the number of walk behinds for each room? In some of my bigger rooms, this is really hard to work around.

Babar

Are diagonal and vertical walkbehinds possible? Are they being trackered?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Elliott Hird

What do you mean by that? diagonal baselines? I don't see the point.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I do. Sometimes, on angular walls and stuff and other less-standard fare, diagonal baselines are almost a must. But I think it's trackered already.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Elliott Hird

diagonal baselines aren't possible to calculate, nor would they change anything...

Gilbert

Why?
Please, think before you post, this is not the General forum.

fovmester

Quote from: Babar on Tue 01/11/2005 09:41:45
Are diagonal and vertical walkbehinds possible? Are they being trackered?

I can see the use of diagonal walkbehinds. But vertical!?

Gilbert

I think vertical is quite reasonable, like for example a wall on the left and a spider walking on it.

SSH

can't you use a script and SetWalkBehindBase to fake diagonals?

Gilbert

I think yes, but it would always be easier if it's supported directly, I don't really need it though.

SSH

I feel a module coming on...  ;)

Gilbert

Well one problem is, if there're several characters/objects moving around simultaneously the coding would become all too complicating.

SSH

Yeah well, you can count the number of AGS games with that happening on the fingers of one foot

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

...yet. Who knows what the future will bring. ;) How many games actually use the CCS plugin/module? But ain't y'all glad it exists?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Kinoko

*ahem* Yes, I'm glad there's a healthy discussion about diagonals and verticals going on but uh, any support for my suggestion? :P

SSH

I can't seem to discover how many walkbehinds are currently allowed. And how many would you want? I think these things are usually quite easy for CJ to up. I guess that there's an inherent limit of around 255, although you're probably only looking for about 30?

Babar

Max walkbehinds seem to be 15. That's how many colours you can cycle through while setting walk-behinds
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Kinoko

Like, not many more... it's just that I seem to hit that 'wall' fairly often and I have to cut a few out and get creative with sharing them. It'd just be nice to have the pressure lifted a bit.

Scummbuddy

I thought someone (Darth) had already made a workaround for diagonal baselines. You can wait for his response about that, but then we'll have to wait for CJ to discuss upping the walkbehinds.

It would have to be an intense and large background, in my opinion, to need more than 15 walkbehinds. There would be a baseline like every inch on the screen. It'd be like having a background full of grocery aisles. But still you wouldnt need 20+ walkbehind colors, since they are all beneath their own baselines.

For example:

You would only need 5 walkbehind colors.

So, what I'm getting at is, what kind of background do you have going on? I know its has to do with your RPG, but how large of a background area do you have?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SSH

You're forgetting scrollable backgrounds, Scummy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk