MIDI that sounds like the oldies?

Started by , Thu 03/11/2005 12:06:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvisish

Quote from: Gabarts on Thu 12/06/2014 22:43:32
Find in my posts... I've lot of VST-AU virtual instruments for both Win and Mac, just found recently an emulation of Roland MT-32 somewhere. But I used another host program to load those sounds. I don't remember the name now, have to check in my Macbook. Anyway you should find something in my posts about Roland MT-32.

Yes, the problem is this method probably wouldn't work dynamically. I want AdPlug to be able to dynamically playback the music files within AGS, no renders.

Gabarts

Understand. I'm not of a great help then, since I only use that in Logic or Garage Band. Anyway, I'm interested in your plugin, if you manage to reach your goal, let me know. Would be an amazing thing to insert in AGS, a midi-dynamic controller ready to use inside the program!

Wyz

I've played with this idea too once and though there are possibilities there are also a few technicalities. In the end it all depends on what you want to do.

If you want a retro feel to your game by adding OPL music and sfx there is no reason not to render it fist (to wav/mp3/flac/whatever). If you are a purist then you want to use the real thing, actual hardware support. This can be done, in fact, even in modern operating systems. The only problem is: no one has this hardware anymore except for other purists, not a very large audience. :D
So probably you want to emulate it in one way or another. I'm not sure why you want it emulate in real-time other then have prerendered bits. If you can explain that I might be able to help.

Btw, I'm also a fan of 'crappy' OPL music (the MT-32 sound also for what it's worth) and I've actually used Adplug to make music. :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Elvisish

Quote from: Wyz on Fri 13/06/2014 17:22:15
I've played with this idea too once and though there are possibilities there are also a few technicalities. In the end it all depends on what you want to do.

If you want a retro feel to your game by adding OPL music and sfx there is no reason not to render it fist (to wav/mp3/flac/whatever). If you are a purist then you want to use the real thing, actual hardware support. This can be done, in fact, even in modern operating systems. The only problem is: no one has this hardware anymore except for other purists, not a very large audience. :D
So probably you want to emulate it in one way or another. I'm not sure why you want it emulate in real-time other then have prerendered bits. If you can explain that I might be able to help.

Btw, I'm also a fan of 'crappy' OPL music (the MT-32 sound also for what it's worth) and I've actually used Adplug to make music. :D

Because of the flexibility and the reduced filesize. Flexibility means that if someone wanted to incorporate an iMuse-style system whereby music has segues and transitions into other pieces, it would be possible. If you wanted to dynamically add or subtract instruments, it would be possible. Can't really see why anyone would think a pre-rendered solution would ever be a better idea, if an emulation was possible?

Wyz

Quote from: Elvisish on Fri 13/06/2014 18:53:18
Can't really see why anyone would think a pre-rendered solution would ever be a better idea, if an emulation was possible?

Well, because it's currently not supported. :D
Adding support for this requires effort and if no one wants to do iMuse type of things this effort is rather wasted. That is why I'm curious about what you actually want to do with it. If it's just playback then there is no reason not to use pre-rendered music, file sizes--at two megs a minute--are not really a problem these days IMHO.

Wyz

AGS Adlib Plugin (v1.0)

There you go.

Secret Fawful

I was going to give this a try out of interest, but the plugin doesn't seem to want to work in AGS 3.3.0.

I get an error message saying that it depends on another dll file that is missing. I tried putting in_adlib.dll into the AGS folder, and that didn't seem to help.

Wyz

Hmm, which file does it say it needs? I've tested it with AGS 3.2.1 myself but I don't really know if that makes a difference. :)

Secret Fawful

That's the thing. It doesn't give a specific file.

I tried opening it in AGS 3.2.1 and it gives the same error. I feel like you have a dll that I'm missing or something.

Wyz

Very weird! Does the .exe in the sample project also fail? I've had something similar happen once and it was related to the filename and as of today I don't know what caused that. Back then it helped to change filenames for some reason, like changing the plugin filename to all caps. Very frustrating. :D

Secret Fawful

The sample project works fine.

EDIT: I mean the EXE, not the project itself. I open it in AGS and get the same error.

Scavenger

You have no idea how useful I find this plugin. The Adlib-sound was just what I needed for my game.

Thanks, Wyz!

Wyz

I still have no clue Secret Fawful but I've not given up yet. It has something to do with the editor since the .exe works. Maybe I should try a different compiler.

Quote from: Scavenger on Mon 23/06/2014 00:51:17
You have no idea how useful I find this plugin. The Adlib-sound was just what I needed for my game.

Thanks, Wyz!
Your welcome Scavenger! :D
I should also mention that I used AdPlug for the plugin and I have not included the proper license crap notes, so if you are using this plugin in games let me know and I'll produce that. ;)

Btw Scavenger, you don't have the same problem as Secret Fawful?

Scavenger

Yeah, the project works fine for me, I can compile it and everything. I'll be using it in my game, definitely.

(I'm using AGS 3.2.1 by the way)

Elvisish

Quote from: Wyz on Sun 22/06/2014 00:41:02
AGS Adlib Plugin (v1.0)

There you go.
After nine years of waiting, I can honestly say this looks like a dream come true! I tried it, and I got the same error as Secret Fawful, unfortunatly. I changed the name of the file to AGS.Plugin.agsadp.dll, as recommended by http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/ags/plugins/editor and it gave me this:

So sorry to be a menace, but I am dying to try this absolutely mind-blowing plugin, I'm using AGS 3.3.0.

Elvisish

I just want to tell you, Wyz, that this plugin goes far and beyond my wildest expectations for this, I just can't believe how perfect that demo you made is!! BPM changer, volume, it's just amazing! Really hope to be able to use it soon, the work you've done to implement this is absolute magic (I've been waiting 9 years, I'm excited!!)

Wyz

Well that's what convinced me to make it; the fact you revisited this thread after almost 10 years. ;D

Anyways, I've build another version with a different compiler this time; I hope this one will work with the editor. If you are going to release something I recommend swapping the dll for the original version since that one has been tested more.

With that said, here you go.

Elvisish

Quote from: Wyz on Wed 25/06/2014 18:55:57
Well that's what convinced me to make it; the fact you revisited this thread after almost 10 years. ;D

Anyways, I've build another version with a different compiler this time; I hope this one will work with the editor. If you are going to release something I recommend swapping the dll for the original version since that one has been tested more.

With that said, here you go.

Thanks so much, Ferry, that works in ags editor now, and compiling works great, just need to do some more testing with it, you're working with version 3.2.1 as well as Scavenger, aren't you? On a side-ish note, is 3.3.0 okay to use, or is there some other reason you guys haven't upgraded yet?

Just figuring out how to call a music file in on room load, and I'll be all set!

Secret Fawful

It works great now. You just have to put the music files in the main folder of the game project, and then use AdPlug.Load("put filename as string here"). However, I'm curious, since this was made with Adplug, does it support all formats Adplug does, or no?

Wyz

Your welcome! :D

I'm just a bit reluctant updating AGS when I'm in the middle of a project; since that usually is the case I lag behind a couple of versions. :D

Yes, it should support all formats that AdPlug although .IMF files themselves not have enough information for them to be played and for this a special database was created. This I have not included but the rest should work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk