Test complete thread no longer needed

Started by timlump, Sat 05/11/2005 01:20:55

Previous topic - Next topic

timlump

Wretched

I think the forum rules stipulate some screen shots and a plot? Also while I'm on the subject. Can we have a template placed in the Forum Rules so n0obies can know what, and how, to post here?

Domino

I think the rules may be different for completed games. But there should be some text and maybe some screenies of the game here in the completed games forum.

I highly doubt people will download a game unless they know a little about it.

Rosie

?????? This was a completed game????????

Janik

This was a game???
Play pen and paper D&D? Then try DM Genie - software for Dungeons and Dragons!

Phemar

Double-you tee eff, mate ...

IM NOT TEH SPAM

Well, that was pleasant... not to say I expected much more out of it with the "no screenshot because there's nothing much to show" comment.
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

Kweepa

Quote from: timlump on Sat 05/11/2005 01:20:55
I decided to make it and made it within 1 hour and had it uploaded 10 mins later.

Perhaps it should have gone in the stickied Hour Games thread then?
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Khris

This should've been posted in the "Completed boring Powerpoint presentations"-Forum.

ManicMatt

Charming.

Sheesh, maybe I should submit my one screen talking photograph?

ness

i learned you shouldn't say anything if it isn't nice, so i'm saying nothing. volumes of nothingness. a whole universe full of zero. enuff. already
Take the road less travelled.... you won't meet so many idiots on the way.

Candle

If you don't like the game fine, but you don't have to mean about it .
Just move on and play something else. We all have to start someplace and putting someone down does nothing for them but make them want to stop. And I think we all lose when someone stops making games.
My two cents.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Right, what Candle says is true.

But the game is still, IMHO, bad. The reasons for this are the lack of a plot, the lack of actual gameplay, and the existence of a pseudo-I-have-no-idea-what.

I felt I had to say this after Candle's post in case it got misinterpreted - it doesn't mean we shouldn't say what we feel about games, even if whatever we feel is negative. Simply that we must always be constructive.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Phoenix

Quote from: timlump on Sat 05/11/2005 01:20:55
www.geocities.com/zombienationsite/Solitude.zip

more art than game.

well i wouldn't use the word art more metaphorical, I like the idea but its not suited to a "adventure game studio"
Hello Tomorrow Goodbye Yesterday

ness

we all really look forward to new game announcements and we are extremely grateful to the wonderful people who take hours of their time out make them. therefore when we see a new game announcement, that is what we are expecting... a game. this just doesn't fit that category sorry. not any way you look at it. so it should perhaps be on another forum. but not here. is that constructive?
Take the road less travelled.... you won't meet so many idiots on the way.

timlump

ManicMatt

So are you calling your own game bad?

I just hope it doesn't put people off if you make an actual game and not a prototype.

but you are right, I enjoy complaining more than praising.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Timlump, if that is in any way connected to the lack of response your ZombieNation game got, add to your "test" the immense confusion that came from it, so much that you yourself had to create a new thread. "Presentation" is an important word.

You don't stretch the word "game". You try and make a semi-interactive experience, which is acceptable as a concept, but that's not a "game". AFAIK, a game has to present a challenge. Clicking and advancing the story is not a challenge - which is exactly why some games are more considered "interactive novels".

But even as an experience of the sort, it fails totally. I reccommend to you Vel's "Who Wants To Live Forever". I'll be blunt - I don't like that game (or interactive novel). It sounds a bit too melodramatic, and a good dose of realism would have made it much better. But it's an honest effort that actually tries to tell us something, in its way. And it goes the extra mile by trying to establish the characters and their relationships.

Or "Dada - Stagnation in Blue". There's a sort of coherence about it, and an undeniable visual appeal - and an amazing atmosphere.

Your own effort is simply a collage of screens, which hardly tell a story, and which as a whole have very little meaning and/or interest. By all means, keep practising... but don't expect us to welcome lesser efforts like this one.*

I would like to know more about this "test". What were the criteria? Heck, what was the test itself? I mean, just browse the forum. See which game threads have the most replies. See how good the game is for yourself. And maybe, just maybe, draw new conclusions.

*EDIT - Ok, this came out the wrong way. We like to see efforts. What we don't do is give you an automatic pat on the back, a cigar and a cookie if you present us with something that's pretty much pointless, in our (i.e., the people who make these replies) opinion.

EDIT 2 - Mind you, if you'd posted this in the 1-hour-game-thread, in this very board, none of this would be happening. Besides, your game falls into the category - it was made in under 1 hour. And people are used to seeing off-the-wall stuff in that category.

Kneel. Now.

timlump

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteI made this "game" with the intention of causing a stir, I actually tried to make it with the least amount of effort to see what kind of reaction it got and it DID get more reviews than my proper game "ZOMBIE NATION" i know, that was the point to see how people react.

No offence meant, but you're take on this is, IMO, quite stubborn. And I should know, I'm stubborn as hell. You want to make a point so badly that you're ignoring other factors.

1 - If people didn't reply to your ZN game, it's because it didn't leave an impression on them. Either good or bad.

2 - If SO many people replied to this one in such a negative manner, it's because it left an impression. Thing is, it was a quite negative impression.

QuotePEOPLE COMPLAIN MORE THAN THEY PRAISE. FACT

Please don't shout, especially when persisting on a frail assumption. Your "fact" was made with basis on a game with little response - and a game that, imho, from the little I played, didn't really warrant a response, it made little impression. At least that was my opinion, and acting accordingly, I didn't reply - and on something you did exclusively to get bad reactions. If you actually want to prove something, comb the rest of the board to gather more information. And put actually GOOD games in the positive side of the scales, why don't you.

I could now at least try to keep this on-topic, the topic being the game, but seeing as you don't even bother to do that yourself, I won't either.

Kneel. Now.

shrff

There aren't too many more level headed people in the AGS community than Brisby.  Take it easy there tinlump, take it easy.

IM NOT TEH SPAM

I'm not sure I understand why you did this.  You preformed some kind of experiment to see if people complain and condemn more than help?  I really don't understand what would compel you to do this--even with the lack of response in your previous game.  This thread, barely making it to two pages (wouldn't even be two if not for this discussion) as opposed to the 4-7 pages of compliments and constructive comments in "completed" and "in production", not to mention all of that going on in the crit's lounge.
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

PyroMonkey

You should be glad people didn't post that Zombie Nation sucked. No criticism is better than bad criticism (Bad meaning non-constructive).

And I know what this is. Pretty much nobody on message boards make 'tests", they just claim to in order to cover up their own failures, mistakes, etc.

And good games are not neccesarily measured by how long they take to make.

On top of that, this is an AMATEUR game designing community. I'm sure I speak for everyone that we do it for the fun. Not to recieve praise, not to become famous. Just for the heck of it.

timlump

Hammerite

Why've you edited all of your posts so that they are full stops?
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

My last say on the subject - this is final proof of a very childish frame of mind. I don't want to flame, I don't want to offend, but I have to call it as I see it. You're so "sure" of your "facts" that you've taken them down and disowned your "game", not even acknowledging what other people have said, this making this a waste of everybody's time maskerading as a gift to the community (which is what every AGS game is)? Jeez, grow up.

EDIT - For people interested: this thread was about a "game which was supposed to stretch the definition of game" (yes, I archived it. I archive them all, it's what I'm supposed to do). See the responses by yourself. Timlump then said this was a "test" - since no one had replied to his "Zombie Nation" game, he said he wanted to see how people reacted to a "bad" game, so as to "prove" that "people complain more than they praise".

Sorry, Timlump, but... no, scratch that. I'm not sorry. Don't back out on your posts, bite the bullet. This is what happened, and in your own view you've proved your point, so why not let it remain for posterity?

Kneel. Now.

Hammerite

i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk