TOOL: Radiant FontEdit

Started by Radiant, Mon 19/04/2004 13:47:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Do you want to pixel-edit your own fonts or need a special accented character for Icelandic dialogue?
Try this small FontEdit utility I wrote!

Supports reading and writing of SCI font files (font.*), AGS font files (*.wfn) and bitmaps (*.bmp), with regular editing tools and an outline generator. It's freeware, by the way. Enjoy! And bug reports welcomed, of course. I'll add TTF support if I have the time to figure out FreeType.

Note that I am well aware that SCI studio can edit fonts, but it's a lot bigger and crashes frequently, at least on my computer. As to which one is more userfriendly, ymmv.

Download here (40 kb Windows executable*)
Mirror (Thanks SSH!)

*Also works under Linux with WINE if you put a mfc42.dll in its directory

Kweepa

Looks like a great utility!
Will it allow me to edit any size of letter? The font overview seemed to be a fixed layout...

How are you supposed to change from black to white?
Is it the right mouse button to erase?

(I was just editing a font at the weekend, and experienced the horror of sci studio first hand. How can a program that has been "stable" for over a year still be so bad? I did manage to make my changes... eventually.)

* Steve suspects that release of this utility will see a renaissance of AGS games with custom fonts.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Radiant

You can change any letter's size from 1x1 up to 64x64; if people really need bigger letters I suppose I could change that.
You switch a pixel's color by clicking on it (black to white or back), and can drag to make a group of pixels the same color; it's pretty intuitive (I think).

SSH

Great, it works for me now... and I'm playing with hitting the "outline" button 5 times  :)

This should be added to the resources page and referred to in the help file and faqs ASAP!

Kweepa

Great!
I'm sure 64x64 is enough, even for an 800x600 game.

One suggestion:
If the font is large enough to make the window exceed the screen width when in the font overview (quite easy to do on my 1600x1200 monitor) as a fix you could *not* zoom the letters.

Or implement a scrollbar :)

Outline is cool, but kind of unnecessary I think. Particularly when there's no way of undoing it!

Nice tool!
Steve
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Pumaman

Looks good :)

Remind me tomorrow and I'll add it to the Resources page.

LordHart

Fritos

Hmmm.. It won't let me paste from a outside editor (i.e. Photoshop, Paint), it just sizes the font to 0x0 whenever I paste something into a character. I guess it is only an internal copy and paste feature?

Gilbert

Yeah, and since you design only simple b/w fonts, you don't really need to use other tools like M$Pain or PSP or PS or whatever, just draw it with given tools.

And I just see that if you copy a character, the copied content would be displayed as well, real handy!

* Gilbot V7000a decides he should uninstall SCI Graphics Studio now.
(And no, SCI Graphics Studio never crashed for me, but the save button never worked tricked me that I often lost changes)

Radiant

Fritos -> correct, it's internal only. If you really need to, save a font as BMP, edit it to your heart's content with whatever program, and import it back. And no, I'm not considering JPEG support :)
(hm, I could probably write a dos version in 2 kb, just to prove a point... <grin> )

Pumaman -> Thank you!

SSH

Oh, just to remind peopel of this, and also to ask Sir Radiant of Helpfullville if his "maybe adding Truetype support " might become reality in the near future? I'm using TTFs in my game now but would like to edit them a bit and change them to SCI. Does anyone know of a TTF->SCI renderer? Anyway... I live in hope!

Radiant

Thank thee...

actually I did download FreeType but haven't done much fiddling around with it. It's under consideration, time permitting.
But I have several game projects to worry about.

Ishmael

I think this utility will come in handy, I can finally get rid of my .fon renamed to .ttf font I'm using for dialog titles... MRC2 credit list just keeps getting bigger, which is good. I'll be waiting for the TTF support too, but it's not vital to me.

SSH, if you look of a program called "Softy", try it out. It can render TTF to bitmap fonts, which you can save as .fnt or .fon files atleast... I'm not sure if it helps you, but it's made of bitmap and TTF font editing...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

SSH

Ah yes, I've tried Softy now, thanks. Would it be easier to add .FON support, Radiant? Becuase Softy does TTF->FON, so FON->SCI would complete the chain!

Radiant

Maybe, I'll try googling it.

Risk

Upon attempting to open several of my AGS font files in the Radiant Fontedit, I keep getting a Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger stating "An unhandled win32 exception occured in fontedit.exe [2240]."

These AGS fonts are viewable in AGS. I need to edit them somehow but I have no way of doing so, since they are in the AGS font file format. I am only able to open the default AGS font file.

Any ideas?

Gilbert

Will it be possible they're imported from TTF files? Fontedit can't edit them for obvious reasons.

Risk

I created all the original fonts in SCI Studio and imported them about 4-5 years ago. Just I've lost the originals since then. But now I realized that one odd character is missing and it would be an easy fix if I could edit it. But to answer your question: no, they are not TTF. So I really see no reason why the Radiant Font Editor can't read them. Perhaps the program is just buggy? I downloaded the one currently available from adventuregamestudio.co.uk downloads--if there were any other versions, I would've tried them by now.Ã,  But since there are not, I need some way to convert them back to good old SCI font file format. But if that's not possible--any other ideas?

Crimson Wizard

I am really really sorry for bumping this. Please, don't beat me  :P.

I found this pretty font editor recently and I am going to use this for my next game(s).
However, I am confused by the fact that every time I open About box, my internet browser starts and opens some strange page. Adress is http://www.ndparking.com/binary-people.com.
At first I thought that I've got some adware virus, but when I re-downloaded this editor same thing happen. And my antivirus software dosn't detect anything anyway.

Also, I wonder, is this application supported anymore? Were there any futher updates?

Radiant

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 09/11/2009 15:43:56
However, I am confused by the fact that every time I open About box, my internet browser starts and opens some strange page.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It was supposed to open my webpage, but it opens what used to be my webpage several years ago, a place that since got hit by cybersquatters. Don't worry about it, just don't click that button :)

QuoteAlso, I wonder, is this application supported anymore?
It could be, if there's any feature requests I'll consider them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk