a simple background that needs c&c

Started by skyfire2, Mon 28/11/2005 22:36:50

Previous topic - Next topic

skyfire2

hi! this is my third background and i need c&c on how to improve it so that i'll get better at making backgrounds. this background was made in adobe photoshop and it took me four hours to make. any help is appreciated.

Darth Mandarb

Your gradients are off ...

I did this pretty quickly, but it still illustrates what I mean:

- altered the gradients
- added some shadows
- added floorboard lines
- added baseboards
- added trim around the doors

See how the gradients all work together?  Rather than how you had it where it looked kind of like there was light coming from the corners?  It gives it a little more definition/contrast.

I'd also recommend adding more "stuff" to the room.  It feels very empty.

Hope it helps!

skyfire2

wow! thanks for the help! just wondering, what technique did you use when you redid the wall gradients?

MrColossal

"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

skyfire2

that's a great tutorial. thanks for the link.  ;D

The Ivy

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of room this is.  There's a welcome mat, but it's facing the wrong way, suggesting that it's meant to be obeyed by someone inside the room.  Next to the strangely-placed roll of toilet paper, it creates some kind of bizarro bathroom, devoid of toilet, tub, mirror, bath mat, and sink.  The player character must live a very uncomfortable life.  :P

skyfire2

Quote from: The Ivy on Tue 29/11/2005 03:07:27
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of room this is.  There's a welcome mat, but it's facing the wrong way, suggesting that it's meant to be obeyed by someone inside the room.  Next to the strangely-placed roll of toilet paper, it creates some kind of bizarro bathroom, devoid of toilet, tub, mirror, bath mat, and sink.  The player character must live a very uncomfortable life.  :P
i wanted it to be a room in a mansion owned by a eccentric guy. the toilet paper is there because the rug next to the door says "please wipe". it's a joke.

Jayel

OH I get it.  Ha ha.  I get jokes.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Darth's paintover is very competent, but the main issue I see with the background is the angle.  It just seems tilted downward a bit too much, almost like the room itself is bent.  It's a nice wide angle view, so maybe when you put some furniture in there it will cover the odd look.  Nice work, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk