interior church render,critics

Started by txarly, Tue 15/11/2005 16:31:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Mordalles

dont listen to the people here, txarly. theyre just trying to sound clever. its really great. i wish i could do something like that in 3d.

if u really want some good advice on how to improve ure backgrounds, i would advise going to places like www.cgtalk.com. seriously, there the people's crits actually make sense. and theyre much nicer. good advice around here is very rare.  ;)

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Traveler

I, for one, like the text in the middle. It can be used to a great extent to create great story elements, like the hero crawling through it from one wall to the other (to climb out on the window); one could also think of the priests hanging some wet clothes on it or as a banner for advertising. So it's good, you should leave it, and probably include it on every game screen, since there they can definitely be grabbed and used elsewhere. If you leave it, though, consider adding appropriate shadows and reflections to it.

On the less-important matter of the rendering, adding some dirt, some more detail (like Bibles laying on some seats, cushions, etc.) would add a lot more reality to the picture. You could try using bump maps for the walls (maybe you use one even now, but it's not very strong; the walls look a bit flat.)

I don't think the lighting is bad; it may not be completely realistic, but it looks good enough to me.

Nacho

Please, stop the jokes about the "Por Txarly"... The first 3 or 4 were funny, now you're just giving a bad image for a newcomer. The image is better than 75 % of the renders I've seen here. Keep with the good work.

Agur.  ;)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

TheSaint

haha i must admit i enjoyed humour in replies for this topic sorry for offtopic addition.

as for church it looks nice altho daytime church has some strange bluriness asif caused by dust in the air or something.

regards.

LGM

I don't think the sunlight should come through the window left of the stained glass... Since the walls are right angles, and the sun can only be on one side of it, the light can't go through both that intensely.

Other than that, pretty neat render.
You. Me. Denny's.

txarly

thank you for the link Mordalles, it's an interesting place.

Andail

Quote from: Mordalles on Wed 16/11/2005 20:06:16
dont listen to the people here, txarly. theyre just trying to sound clever. its really great. i wish i could do something like that in 3d.

if you really want some good advice on how to improve ure backgrounds, i would advise going to places like www.cgtalk.com. seriously, there the people's crits actually make sense. and theyre much nicer. good advice around here is very rare.  ;)

Well that's an interesting attitude. I hope you're not serious

Evil

I do hope that wink means you are joking, because that is the WORST thing I have ever heard here, by far.

Ubel

Txarly: I won't make a silly joke about the text in your picture, though you should delete it. Your renderings are very good and I hope the people here with their jokes didn't make you want not to send any more of them here. I'd really want to see more of your work.

Mordalles: I second the couple of previous posts...

Quote from: Mordalles on Wed 16/11/2005 20:06:16
good advice around here is very rare.

That is... so not true. So not true...

Kinoko

I vote we kick Mord out of the forums. For shame, man. Shame.

As for the picture, the first thing that stood out for me was the benches. They're all -exactly- alike and it looks very sterile and strange. This is exactly where a paint over can come in handy, to give it some life.

txarly

Really, i never thought that a watermark could generate more critics than the picture, specially when in other forums the images that people post are automatically watermarked.
In the other hand, i don't think that Mordalles must be kicked for his opinions, because i think this is the object of a forum, isn't it?

stu

On the daylight version - The sun seems to be coming through the window at TWO different angles. If your game takes place on earth, thus only having ONE sun, I suggest you remove one set of the 'god rays'.

On the night version - There seems to be NO outside light source whatsoever. Even on a cloudy day, the moon does shine a little bit of light, so make the subletly apparent through the windows.

TheSaint

Quotei don't think that Mordalles must be kicked for his opinions, because i think this is the object of a forum, isn't it?

they are just kidding friend, i dont understand how come you havent noticed it. they mocked the watermark coz there is almost no chance that someone will actually steal your rendering etc. this is critics lounge no e-bay and work here isnt really Picasso or Rembrant (altho some ppl mite resent that  ;D) so no need to mark your work with 100X100 watermarks espec if you want ppl to comment some details you got there.

ppl here are friendly and lots have really good sense of humour as i noticed-  dont take seriously some of the comments. at least not ones that arent about art/criticism/comments

cheers

Andail

Txarly, I agree that the watermark got too much attention. We're just not used to it. Also, most forums probably put a little copyright line or something, I doubt that they put a watermark in the middle of every contributed image.

Nevertheless; if you can look away from that piece of criticism, there is still much c&c that makes great sense. All of the comments given in this thread have been pertinent and relevant.

Mordalles didn't just vent an opinion, he insulted us and the entire forum.

Feel free to submit your picture to the forum Mordalles mentioned. If you get this much attention, which I doubt, they will probably say the same:
* fix lighting
* add details
* try to fix the sterile and tidy feeling by adding handmade textures, "dirt" and other artifacts.
* get rid of the watermark

If they don't say this, they won't have provided very useful c&c.

Babar

Another thing about the benches. It seems the whole row just has 2 legs, and the front portion of the chair is left hanging out. No idea if that would or would not physically stand up in reality, but I've never seen chairs like that.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Erwin_Br

I would add some candles. Churches always have candles. They provide very atmospheric light, which is something you could use. Unless it's your objective to create a more dark and cold place, of course.

--Erwin

InCreator

Quotei don't think that Mordalles must be kicked for his opinions, because i think this is the object of a forum, isn't it?
Quotethey are just kidding friend,

Yes, kidding. We won't kick anyone just because of saying that people at CL suck and give shitty advice.
We just burn him on the stake and dance around the fire.
Also, there's annual meeting called Mittens where we lure all infidels, saying that's a happy internet people gathering where they actually get their annual beating and torture.

Now, Erwin_br made an excellent point. I knew that something's missing - candles, yes!
Waiting for fixes, it's a great BG, after all and worth the work.

Also, if possible (by your modelling software), google for some ornaments, make bumpmaps for them, and add them to those - otherwise boring benches. Being that simple, they just don't fit to this church, since church itself is quite colossal-looking.

Paper Carnival

The biggest problem I see is not the modelling, but the rendering. It looks kinda blurry to me. I hope that it's only due to the .jpg format.

SpacePirateCaine

The image itself is quite well designed and detailed - I think that the largest issue with this background in particular is that it seems almost too spacious. I agree with Steve McCrea in that the bottom half is all that is really necessary in the image for game purposes. You would, of course, lose your cool-looking stained glass windows, but at the moment there's a whole lot of open air and not quite enough interesting stuff up there to warrant it. Granted, huge churches like this often evoke a certain feel of gargantuousness, but for a background used in an adventure game you generally want to almost limit the area a player will focus on, or they tend to get distracted. A good cropping point may be just above the door on the second floor.

Aside from that, it could possibly use some dark foreground elements to break up the bottom of the screen, and if you would rather keep the vertical space, I'd suggest adding at least a hint of the ceiling. As the walls don't really end anywhere, vertically, the mind usually misreads it as traveling upwards into infinity. This can be fixed by even adding a slight inward curve about the top of the wall.

I haven't been inside a church in ages, I have this little fear of bursting into flames on holy ground, but it seems to me that perhaps your pews are a bit too far apart from one another. If I remember correctly they tend to be close enough that you don't need to lean very far forward to take a bible or whatever out of the back of the next pew up - these seem almost distanced enough that a grown man could walk face-on between two without any problems.

Hopefully this helps out a bit.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Mordalles

::)

Quote from: Andail on Thu 17/11/2005 16:17:55
Well that's an interesting attitude. I hope you're not serious

lots of interesting attitudes around here, i was just trying to blend in.
thx for the vote of confidence, kinoko. hehe.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk