interior church render,critics

Started by txarly, Tue 15/11/2005 16:31:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinoko

passer-by

Quote from: Erwin_Br on Fri 18/11/2005 12:09:43
I would add some candles. Churches always have candles. They provide very atmospheric light, which is something you could use. Unless it's your objective to create a more dark and cold place, of course.

--Erwin

Candles can still give the  dark and cold feeling if they are not lit. I'd also suggest some low hanging chandeliers, their long suporting cord could fill up the upper picture a little.

Andail

Quote from: Mordalles on Fri 18/11/2005 20:03:29
lots of interesting attitudes around here, i was just trying to blend in.
Care to elaborate?
If you read my previous post, is there anything you wish to argue?
Was it just the fact that people complained on the watermark that made you say that everybody here is just trying to sound clever, and that good advice here is rare, and you should in fact avoid our forum alltogether?
Just curious - I asked if you were serious or not but you didn't answer that.

Erwin_Br

Quote from: cp on Sat 19/11/2005 09:40:12
Quote from: Erwin_Br on Fri 18/11/2005 12:09:43
I would add some candles. Churches always have candles. They provide very atmospheric light, which is something you could use. Unless it's your objective to create a more dark and cold place, of course.

--Erwin

Candles can still give the  dark and cold feeling if they are not lit. I'd also suggest some low hanging chandeliers, their long suporting cord could fill up the upper picture a little.

Of course I was talking about lit candles, smartass ;)

Good idea about the chandeliers, though.

--Erwin

calacver

Quote from: Andail on Fri 18/11/2005 10:49:14
If they don't say this, they won't have provided very useful c&c.

cgtalk is the biggest computer graphics forum around. Most professionals in any kind of graphics industry (animation, movies, games) are registered there, this includes people that worked on big productions such as commercial movies (ice age, lord of the rings, etc), etc. Feel enlightened.

Nikolas

Me, me, me! I want to be a moderator here!

2/3rds of the posts are about the watermark/mordalles/other forums.

Nothing to do with the almost perfect rendering done by txarly. What do you say we quit it?

About the BG: I think that it's 90-95% perfect. I wouldn't worry about the quality of the rendering or anything like that, but the practicality of having it in a game, as mentioned previously I believe. If the game is 800x600 the sprite will be what 20-40 pixels high. That's tiny!

Andail

Quote from: calacver on Sun 20/11/2005 00:03:29
Quote from: Andail on Fri 18/11/2005 10:49:14
If they don't say this, they won't have provided very useful c&c.

cgtalk is the biggest computer graphics forum around. Most professionals in any kind of graphics industry (animation, movies, games) are registered there, this includes people that worked on big productions such as commercial movies (ice age, lord of the rings, etc), etc. Feel enlightened.

Oh, and all these people will answer and give c&c on every single image you put up there?

I know those forums pretty well, and I'm in deep awe of some of the artwork published there. It doesn't mean that a single art contributer will recieve undevided attention to a much greater extent and quality than you can get here.
I could give you some links to threads I've seen there with very questionable c&c, or complete lack thereof.

If you people don't like this board, just stay out of it. Quit refering to other boards as soon as you don't agree on certain pieces of advice given here.

passer-by

Quote from: Andail on Sun 20/11/2005 12:07:25
It doesn't mean that a single art contributer will recieve undevided attention to a much greater extent and quality than you can get here.

I, for one, wouldn't dare to post in a forum where the members are mainly professionals. I've seen many good pictures in here, from people who might be professionals but who don't go around with that label. So, I find it is easier to post my work in here and get some comments or suggestions without the feeling of taking exams at school.

calacver

Quote from: Andail on Sun 20/11/2005 12:07:25

Oh, and all these people will answer and give c&c on every single image you put up there?

I know those forums pretty well, and I'm in deep awe of some of the artwork published there. It doesn't mean that a single art contributer will recieve undevided attention to a much greater extent and quality than you can get here.
I could give you some links to threads I've seen there with very questionable c&c, or complete lack thereof.

If you people don't like this board, just stay out of it. Quit refering to other boards as soon as you don't agree on certain pieces of advice given here.

firstly cp. The people over yonder are very friendly. They always encourage people. There comments are not like 'exams' :). There are not only proffessionals. A huge part of the members are amateurs that learn from the pros and the semipros. It's a place to learn.

I have nothing against these forums. Some advice given here is good. But darn it people, cgtalk is the biggest cg community and the people aint never sarcastic.

Andail , if you knew those forums you wouldn't have made that earlier comment which i quoted. Images put there are commented upon if asked, not always by the pros, but at least by someone that has an artistic view.

And i like this board, never said i didn't. I simply told you what cgtalk is, since you clearly don't know. Stop being so darn defensive. And stop being so darn sarcastic to newcomers. Newcomers don't know of YOUR watermark policy since in most other (art) forumns its the norm. It find it amusing how some of you simply took that out of proportion, and even calling the guy dumb. That's down right crap.

Andail, go assemble a puzzle.

Squinky

Its just funny becase it was so damn big....People need to chill out and see the humor in life...go outside, eat a hotdog...

Can you seriously say that you can go to this infamous other art forum and post a picture hidden behind a watermark and not get a little friendly joking?

Andail

calacver
I was a bit defensive because some guy said that good advice here is rare, and a lot other things which were just plain impolite and not true. Why is it so strange to you that I would react on that?

Also, like Squinky said, the watermark was a bit funny and original. No big deal. I also concur that even that pet forum of yours would raise a few eyebrows if they saw an image with a watermark like that.

And
QuoteAndail, go assemble a puzzle.

What kind of comment was that? Some kind of arbitrary insult? Please learn to behave before you post again.

Darth Mandarb

Here is a paint-over to show you what I would do with the night version:

- I made the lighting a tad more dramatic
- Added the stained glass back in (that part is a bit rough though)

If you use photoshop, and are interested, here's a PSD file showing how I did this:
> PSD File (~1MB)

I was just trying to be silly about the watermark, I knew what it was for.

I just think they're silly because anybody determined enough can get it removed (as I evidenced in the paintover above!)

Didn't mean to start this avalance!!

stuh505

I like the blue stainless windows, I think they should cause some blue illumination too

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: stuh505 on Tue 22/11/2005 01:23:39I like the blue stainless windows, I think they should cause some blue illumination too
But they do!!

Perhaps the image is just too dark?  I put a blue illumination over everything (except where the soft orange/white light is)

txarly

ThanksÃ,  Darth Mandarb , nice edition.It looks much better this way. :)

Minimi

this thread made me pee my pants!  ;D ;D ;D

Mordalles

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

m0ds

Okie doke, this thread has gotten silly and some people are being really very rude to each other. Now I understand some of you are 12, or may be 23 going on 12, but if you want to fit in around here, DONT MAKE SNIDE REMAKES AT ALL, nor personal or nasty comments - or even comments that are ambiguous in nature and could still offend. Grow up, and treat it as if you're talking to a human being - not just blurting out your thoughts as if we'll pass over them and not care.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk