Background Blitz 17/12/2005 - 28/12/2005

Started by Rel, Sat 17/12/2005 09:15:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubel

ildu

Best Idea - This is for Neil Dnuma. The idea behind the image is a very good and unexpected one. It goes the logical and literal way and with humor. I'd love to see a real contest of this sort in a game and this would be an ideal background for one.

Best Design - The prize goes to Neil Dnuma. The design is amazing. The style is very unique and conveys the western feeling very well. All the buildings own up to the style and so does the whole color scheme. Very moody and atmospheric. The depth adds to the feeling.

Best Functionality - This goes to Neil Dnuma. This background would work perfectly in a game, nuff said.

Best Technique - The winner is Big Brother. I just thought Big Brother deserved a break on this one. I love the tabletting and the colors. Also, the contrast of sharp to blurred or detailed to undetailed is great. It draws attention to the entrance of the cave and the footsteps, inarguably the most important aspects of the image.

Neil Dnuma

Thanks for all the kind words :) I only wish more people would have entered, but with the full time X-mas schedule of eating and drinking the absence is understandable. I was lucky enogh to have the laptop hooked up at the dining table.

@Mordalles: I can't seem to get your BG displayed anymore, at least not on this computer. I still have a good memory of it though.

Best Idea: Mordalles. Who wouldn't like to visit the edge of the world, at least in a game? This is really the extreme edition of taking a step too far. Big brother's idea was nice too, a true classic!

Best Design: Mordalles gets the edge here. I love the feel of danger concevied in the fragile design of the bridge/elevator in contrast to the enormous powers of nature.

Best Functionality: Big Brother. Of course, you'd have to script footsteps (but that'd be tons of fun).

Best Tecnique: Big Brother. As Ildu mentions, you really know how to direct attention in your drawings. I also love the color variations used in the snow. I hope someone gave you a Wacom for Christmas... Mordalles deserves one too!

ildu

Shit, I totally disregarded Mordalles with his incredible graphics. Why isn't it on the thread anymore? Well, I won't go changing any of my votes.

gameboy

Venus

Idea/Design/Functionality/Technique: Neil Dnuma

Ginny

Idea: Mordalles. Hey' I'm a sucker for things that remind me of grim fandango.

Design: Mordalles. The "waterfall" down the edge of the earth looks so powerful, like it could throw you into nothingness in just a second. Implies a lot of danger on that bridge, I like it.

Functionality: Big Brother. Clear exits, interesting scene, and 'd love to see this in a game.

Technique: Neil Dnuma. Your graphics remind me of CMI, very nice colourful atmosphere.
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Pet Terry

Idea: mordalles (reminds me of Discworld yay)
Everything else: Neil Dnuma (very clear, working background, nice style and overall very good job)

Lovely colours in Big Brother's background, though.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Krysis

Best Idea/Design/Functionality/Technique:  Neil Dnuma.

Its just soo good it deserves to win! And  reminds me of Monkey Island. :)

mozza

Now for my votes,

Best Idea: Mordalles - how could you go past the ultimate step too far?

Best Design: Neil Dnuma - The BG sets the mood and scene very well.

Best Functionality: Neil Dnuma - Just look at it! It has the air of an adventure game and has a good amount of walkable area etc.

Best Technique: Big Brother - The different shades of snow and immaculate colour scheme just bring this vote straight to you.

MarVelo

Rel

Results:

Congratulations to Neil Dnuma, on a very well-rounded image :)

Idea: Mordalles
Design: Neil Dnuma
Functionality: Neil Dnuma
Technique: Neil Dnuma

Happy New Year everyone!

Neil Dnuma

Thanks again! There'll be a new Blitz already next year!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk