META

Started by Nikolas, Thu 08/12/2005 22:27:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbert

Spoiler
Hehe I had thought of that to try, but I thought it would be too tricky to use that as:
1. The exact reading can differ by +- 1Kb when you check it using different version of OS and/or commands.
2. If there's a new version of a game and be re-compiled the answer might need to change.
Got it sorted anyway, thanks!
[close]

Abisso

Done! I was very near the ending, but that question!

Spoiler
It's incredible, since I asked all Monty Python movies to a friend, just a week ago, but never watched any (except for "The Meaning of Life"). But then again, since I'm Italian, I'm not sure that watching "The Holy grail" I would be able to link that question to your one. Without google I was never going to finish the game (and thanks to you, Raidatn (sorry, Radiant), especially for making me burn my fingers typing all that unuseful numbers!!!!!).
[close]

This is absolutely the most original and one of the most entertaing adventures ever! The puzzles require some experience with AGS, but this is also a good tutorial on how to create adventures.

Rally Awesmoe!
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Radiant

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Tue 20/12/2005 12:40:56
Spoiler

1. The exact reading can differ by +- 1Kb when you check it using different version of OS and/or commands.
[close]

<grin> I believe I've got all of them covered. Some variants are acceptable, e.g. kibis.

Fertfreak

If you (like me ::)) need help with the second meta-question, google "bytes to kilobytes" and you should find an accurate calculator or two to help with that question.

Radiant

Quote from: Fertfreak on Tue 20/12/2005 19:20:15
If you (like me ::)) need help with the second meta-question, google "bytes to kilobytes" and you should find an accurate calculator or two to help with that question.

Er, divide by 1024? (or 1000, if you must) Your computer does have a desktop calculator, no? If not, a long division should take you all of five seconds.

lakerz

I've played some rather obtuse and difficult games in my day, but this one may be the winnar!  ;D

For some reason, I'll make progress, do something in the editor, mess things up, and then when I try to load a game it says there isn't any to load.  ???  That's not cool.

Anyways, I've read through this thread a few times and am still very very confused. 

Spoiler
I can get into the cave, and I have debug turned on.  I still can't get past the first chasm.  I know the hint says to disable the walk icon somehow but I've tried and tried and not gotten anywhere.

I'm also stuck on trying to use cntr-s to add all inventory items.  The hint says to extinguish the fire inventory item but I just don't see how to do it.  I've tried to change the icon to the blue cup thinking maybe there's water in it but it's no good.  I guess I just suck at knowing how to use the editor.  :P
[close]

Gilbert

Spoiler
To get past the first chasm (and the second) you need to fix a button in the editor.
[close]

Spoiler
To put out the fire, remember you can change the cursor to a sprite and then interact with stuff in the editor.
[close]

lakerz

Thanks for the help!  I think I'm going to put this game aside for now as it's apparent that I need more experience with the AGS editor to really comprehend the puzzles. 

Mordalles

is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

Spoiler

i have the key to unlock the door. but when i use the key on the door nothing happens. and he keeps on saying the door is locked when i interact with it. i already killed the fire.  ???
[close]

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Colxfile

Spoiler
I think you need to be standing right next to the door when you use the key on the door.
[close]
Always carry a UV marker pen with you. When you go to a shop or a friend's house, if you see something you like, put your name and postcode on it. If it gets stolen and subsequently recovered, the police will get in touch with you so that they can 'return' it.

Mordalles

Quote from: Colxfile on Fri 21/04/2006 09:40:57
Spoiler
I think you need to be standing right next to the door when you use the key on the door.
[close]

i am standing right next to the door. when i'm standing away from the door and use the kye on it, he says i should go closer. but close up nothing happens.  ???

Fizzii

Yes, the key doesn't actually open the door, though you need it.
Spoiler
But talking to the door opens the door
[close]

DuckAndCower

So... even with all the above hints, I'm still stuck on that second question. I've tried
Spoiler
looking at the file size of Meta.exe, which gets me 9310208 bytes), divided that by 1024 (gets 9092 kilobyes)
[close]
with no luck. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is my opinion of the ideal adventure game not the same as the cup's?

Mordalles

Quote from: DuckAndCower on Sat 22/04/2006 19:47:27
So... even with all the above hints, I'm still stuck on that second question. I've tried
Spoiler
looking at the file size of Meta.exe, which gets me 9310208 bytes), divided that by 1024 (gets 9092 kilobyes)
[close]
with no luck. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is my opinion of the ideal adventure game not the same as the cup's?

i got further, thanks.
duckandcower,
Spoiler

[close]

whats the answer to the 3rd question? i watched the holy grail too long ago.

DuckAndCower

Sorry, Mord, I'd love to help you, but I'm still stuck on #2. The answer you gave me doesn't seem to work, even when I follow it with the word "kilobytes". Have you tried looking up the script for Holy Grail online?

Mordalles

Quote from: DuckAndCower on Sun 23/04/2006 03:19:17
Sorry, Mord, I'd love to help you, but I'm still stuck on #2. The answer you gave me doesn't seem to work, even when I follow it with the word "kilobytes". Have you tried looking up the script for Holy Grail online?

yeah, i did find the script and it says:
Spoiler

"In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs
    to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
"
[close]
i tried 43 and forty-three. but doesnt work?

#2:
Spoiler

the file size (on my pc is) 9,276,106, divided by 1024 = 9058.697 rounded off to 9059.
so i typed 9059, and it worked.
[close]

Radiant

Quote from: DuckAndCower on Sat 22/04/2006 19:47:27
Spoiler
[close]

That's interesting... it is possible that you have a virus on your computer that attaches itself to executables, thereby increasing their size.
My version is 9308583 bytes, thus the answer would be either 9090 (X/1024) or 9308 (X/1000; both are acceptable).

Quote from: Mordalles on Sun 23/04/2006 21:30:40
yeah, i did find the script and it says: "In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?"
True, but the question is not "how often needs the swallow beat its wings", but "what is its airspeed velocity". Look further on in the script :)

Spoiler

The answer is not a number. It is a trick question.
[close]

Mordalles

is the answer in this part of the script?
Spoiler

Meanwhile, King Arthur and Sir
    Bedevere, not more than a swallow's flight away, had discovered something. Oh, that's an unladen swallow's flight, obviously.  I mean, they were more than two laden swallows' flights away-- four, really, if they had a coconut on a line between them.  I mean, if the birds were walking and dragging--
[close]

Radiant

Quote from: Mordalles on Sun 23/04/2006 21:43:06
is the answer in this part of the script?

No.

Spoiler

WHAT is your name?
[close]

Mordalles

could somebody just give me the answer. i give up. i feel so dumb.  :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk