Coding Competition - We Have A Winner

Started by Ashen, Mon 19/12/2005 14:24:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashen

The Rules:
1. Must be open-source. We can hardly inspect your coding if we cant see it.
2. Must contain instructions for how to add to an existing game, this will obviously be easier if the scripting is done as a module
3. Only use of the 3D, TCP/IP and maths plugins are allowed
4. Must provide sample game using your code.
5. Team efforts are allowed, and you're probably expected to get help for sprites, etc from elsewhere.
6. As far as possible, entries will be judged on their scripting and gameplay rather than GFX, SFX, music, etc.
7. Winner will be decided by 1 week of voting at the end.

The Specifics:
I'll be honest: I couldn't think of a topic - I'm better at problem solving, than problem setting. So, I've stolen one from the Script modules/templates that need writing thread.

Inventory GUIs.
It's as simple, or as complicated , as that. I want to see as many custom Inventory GUIs, in as many different styles as you can come up with. Sci-fi, medieval, contemporary, one that was scrawled on the back of a cigarette box - it's up to you.
A nice touch would be including a screenshot of your Inventory in action, when you enter - but remember it's the code we're interested in, not just the graphics.

Deadline:
Let's say Wednesday January 4th. A little over 2 weeks, to allow for the holidays. This means voting will be a little under a week, so as not to overrun too much. Winner to be announced Monday January 9th.

Also:
I'm away over Christmas, so if you've got any questions about specifics, ask 'em now, while I'm still here.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Akumayo

There we go.Ã,  I'm the first entry again!Ã,  This is my... Weird Techno Futuristic Inventory GUI... thing.Ã,  It's notable coding feature is that it displays the players active inventory.Ã,  No screenshot is available because I'm lazy and it isn't a requirement.Ã,  I wasn't really sure how we were supposed to make a nicely 'coded' inventory gui, I mean, they all pretty much function the same way, but here's my entry anyway.Ã,  The .zip file includes both the demo game and the gui itself (but don't use the gui here, download from the link below this one to get the text file that contains the GUI's script)
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/technogreeninvguiwith.zip

To get the gui itself, download here, and place the code in the text document where instructed to make the gui work properly (sorry for the inconvenience)
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/bubbleinvtexts.zip

-Regards, Akumayo
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

Ashen

Yay, an entry! Unfortunately, it, erm, doesn't seem to work.
The demo game is fine (more than fine, actually, I really like the GUI), but the imported GUE doesn't work, and there're no instructions in interface_click to follow. I don't think it gets exported with the GUE, but control functions (e.g. btnIconLoad_Click(...)) do. I think you'll need to either add a text file to the zip, or re-export the GUE to include the control functions. (Or point out the ridiculously obvious thing I missed, if there is some way of getting it to work.)

EDIT:
The 2nd GUE looks to be exactly the same (doesn't import the instructions you need), but the text file sorts it out.

QuoteI wasn't really sure how we were supposed to make a nicely 'coded' inventory gui, I mean, they all pretty much function the same way
You're right of course, that a basic GUI is more a matter of changing the layout than the coding. However, this being a coding competiton, I was hoping people would be inspired to do something other than the basic (the display window for the ActiveInventory was a nice additional touch, for example).

Akumayo

Try this, it's the exported gui, and texts of the code included if it again fails to work:

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/bubbleinvtexts.zip

scourge

heya. I'm entering this one, and i will be doing something completely different which includes a bit of coding.

... that is if you, master programmer  :P ashen would be so kind as to host my entry. You can delete it the moment the comp is over  ;D pretty please. I have no hosting space until after january. ??

Akumayo

Why don't you use the 2dadventure upload in the critics lounge?  I use it, and the file stays for around a month before being deleted, perfect!

scourge

i didn't know about that?? thanks, i'll check it out. But is it allowed?

[EDIT] cool, i checked it out. It's a solution :)

Akumayo

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is, I've done it in every competition so far.  Here's the link:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=3584.0

Ashen

Yup, provided the files aren't too large, it should be OK. Alternatively, there's AGS Uploads.

scourge

Cool another solution. I have been in the dark  :-[

SSH

Come and sample the delight that is...

Backpack inventory!

Those of you who watch Nick Jr wil know about Backpack, Dora's friend. Well, now you too can use Backpack to store your things and knickknacks too. Anything that you might need, she has inside for you!

Download the module, GUEs and demo here

Screenshot:

Akumayo

But Why SSH?!  Why make us suffer!???!!  :D

Ashen

Tune .. so ... very ... annoying ... Make ...  it ... stop ...

See, this is what I was talking about! OK, maybe it's not the most general use Inventory ever, but I likes it. Apart from that damn tune.

Incidentally, what do you have to pass to make it play no tune, and not circle the items for too long? Whatever value for stop I try (in Backpack.SetupSound) the items orbit the pack 2 or 3 times before I can do anything with them -  even with no sound and stop left as -1.
EDIT: Nevermind, I think I see the bit that would need changing.

scourge

My MODULE: http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/InventoryCarrier.zip

Here is the example GAME:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=download&game=661

The Idea: I explained all in Module header and Readme. But basically its the walking chest from Discworld idea. You can have an inventory following you around and he carries stuff. You may a carry a limited amount of items (can set number) yourself as player character and only certain items (which you can mark). So its a two-inventory GUI and the player character can access both and switch items between them.

In my example game, the squire (sleeping above - what does that remind you of?  ;D) is the second inventory. (you'll have to get him down first :) (puzzle) )

I'm new to AGS and I have this sickening feeling everything i did can be done in two lines of codeÃ,  :P

[EDIT]: The character doesn't have to follow you. You can have a static character too. This module provides functionality for a user that wants a two-character inventory. @Akumayo :)

Akumayo

Hey, just a thought on your GUI buloght, it's a cool idea, but what if the inventory didn't follow you around, but was static somewhere else, like a chest in Resident Evil... or a... bank.. in ... Runescape..... nevermind, that's way to cliche, your idea is fairly original (or at least more pioneering) I like it!!

scourge

did you download it? did the links work?

Quote from: Akumayo on Sat 24/12/2005 01:36:29
Hey, just a thought on your GUI buloght, it's a cool idea, but what if the inventory didn't follow you around, but was static somewhere else, like a chest in Resident Evil... or a... bank.. in ... Runescape..... nevermind, that's way to cliche, your idea is fairly original (or at least more pioneering) I like it!!

Actually. The character is static. The following part is done by followCharacrter by user should he choose so. So it covers both aspects.

Akumayo

No, I didn't download it, so I didn't know, it was just a thought.  Anyway, I like the concept, and from what you say, it's rather versitale.  I may look into it later.

scourge

I have included my example game and module in my initial entry post. I believe the downloads links work now. (Thanks to candle)

Bartimaeus

Quote from: buloght on Sat 24/12/2005 01:28:49
I'm new to AGS and I have this sickening feeling everything i did can be done in two lines of code  :P
That's what makes it so fun!!!!  :D
~The more adventures I go on, the more sand I get in my shoes

Ashen

Yay! A third entry! Looks good, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet - may have more comments later.

OK, since no-one's posted since LAST YEAR I guess I'll bump. Two more days, people, let's see some more entrants.

Please?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk