LucasArts GUI Help Thread (NEW Scumm GUI Available!)

Started by TerranRich, Fri 01/08/2003 06:04:47

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

well, seeing as I've been ignored, I'm supposing no one has any clue as to what the crap I'm doing wrong. if anyone does have even any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. else, could I possibly send someone the pictures I want to use for the character and they could try to figure it out???? I'm sorry if I sound angry, I'm not, I'm just frustrated that no one, especially not me, knows what the crap is going on here...... thanks for ANY help...!

Scummbuddy

Mr. Flibble:
Are you using ObjectOn and ObjectOff functions?

monkey_05_06:
Can you step us through what you do when importing sprites over your old character to make your new one? Check your view manager to make sure theyre all there correctly in a view, it should be the previous characters view, but let us know.
I think your first question is answered in the help document that comes with the template.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Mr Flibble

I'm not sure, I'll check when I get home.
Bigger problem;
The FOA template, whats the deal with the unhandled event thing?
I tried pasting in thr script from MI2 temp but while it solved the first problem, it caused more.

FOA: Wrong number of perameters in (I forget: I check at home

MI2: GS=GetLoctype line. It works fine in original context ie. The MI2 temp but when pasted to Indy major problems.
Sorry if my explainantion is imprecise. I post a better one later.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

monkey0506

well, I'm pretty sure that I did just paste the new sprites over the old ones and it used the same view or whatever, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm on my mom's laptop right now, so I'll get back to you later. also, as for the first problem, I've scanned through the help documents, and I didn't see it, but I'll look a little more carefully... thanks ahead of time for at least acknowledging my problem though!

Kinoko

I'm using the MI template. I have a cutscene that starts with an "use" action. The GUI disappears for awhile and then reappears later in the cutscene. The problem is that when the GUI is turned back on, the "use" action is still highlighted in the action bar.

Is there a way I can change the text in the action bar to the standard "walk to" before the GUI reappears? It looks very odd having it reappear so much later with the same old action still written there.

monkey0506

okay. I stand corrected. I just typed a very lengthy step-by-step walkthru of what I was doing, except for one difference. this time it worked. I think I may have added more sprites and added more frames to some of the views, and I don't know if that would mess it up, but know it's working! I still have to add my first room to re-test it, but it appears that it's working!!!!!!! THANK YOU! even though in the end I figured this one out on my own... THANK YOU. THANK YOU FOR THIS WONDERFUL GUI!!!!!

monkey0506

If you get in the coffin, you can sail around the entire island. I'm not sure what to do cause I don't want to mess anything up (see ALL previous posts) but I will eventually need to use the coffin. thanks

MarvinS

I'm using Proskrito's FOAlike GUI.

I create a room, and I cant pick up any of the objects.

Thats what I did :

1. Create a new Object
2. Change Image
3. Interaction -> Any Click on the Object -> Run Script
Code: ags
if (UsedMode("pick up"))
     {
       AddInventory(3);
       ObjectOff(0);
     }

But when I test the game, and I click on "pick up" then on "my object", nothings happend.

What's wrong ?

monkey0506

I know I've complained about this more times than everyone else combined, but for  some reason, I can't get the buttons to work right. I said I got it working, and well I did, but now, I've loaded a new room, and it doesn't work in that room. it works everywhere else. just not that room. I've tried everything I can think of but I can't figure it out. the only difference is that that's the only room of mine that has any "objects" I read up on objects, but couldn't find anything regarding this. yeah. n00b. I'm a n00b. I do hope to one day get this all sorted out, but from the looks of things, we'll be taking 5 minute flights to Pluto before I get this figured out...

Mr Flibble

How exactly doesn't it work? I mean is it not displayed or not clickable or something?

monkey0506

okay, I loaded this new room right? well when I test the game, and I click a function such as "pick up" and then I click on my object, it won't work. it works in every other room still, just not this room. I click but it reacts like it's just a walk to, instead of a pick up. I found out, in reading the documents how to set the default function (the right clickable function), and that works, but left clicking buttons doesn't work right in that room. I simply don't understand it!!! but thanks for your concern.

EDIT: I think this might have to do with the location of my object cause I've put other objects in there and I've noticed that they work fine. Help? n00b... :-[

Mr Flibble

Did you remember to write the script for interaction with the object?

monkey0506

yes. all it says is to remove the object and add the inventory when you pick it up. I CAN right-click on this object, I just can't left-click. I tried adding an invisible, non-interactable object and creating that object again, with a different number, but it still didn't work.

Proskrito

Marvin:
Have you tried to place it in the 'pick up object' interaction, instead of the 'any click' one?
monkey:
it seems it could be the same problem kinoko had with the 5 hotspots. I have no idea at all of why it happens  ??? : ( it never happens to me, but it happens sometimes to other people : /
(Another thing that might have nothing to do with it but just in case: does the screen scroll while the player is going to that object?)

I cant look at the problems as my computer got broken some time ago. As soon as i get a new one, i'll look to all those problems and see if i can discover why they happen.

Ollj

Problem:
In the FOA gui you see 2*5 inventory slots, each 29*21 and 3 pixel spacing between each.

I modified this GUI made it smaller and want it to have 1*6 inventory slots, each 32*32 and 0 pixel space between them.

Were to change that?

monkey0506

yes, well. i'm not sure why, but like I said, i tried creating an invisble object in its place, moving it, and recreating the object on a different object number but it didn't work... I feel so confused...............          ...       ..............                ...........               ................. ....

MarvinS

Quote from: Proskrito on Mon 29/03/2004 22:48:07
Marvin:
Have you tried to place it in the 'pick up object' interaction, instead of the 'any click' one?

Yes, that dont do anything.
It's like Moneky's problem. When I pick up the object, Indy just walk
to the object, and then he does nothing.

My solution was to an interaction with the hotspot, instead of the obect. That's not very friendly, but it works.

Scummbuddy

Quote from: Ollj on Thu 01/04/2004 15:25:36
Problem:
In the FOA gui you see 2*5 inventory slots, each 29*21 and 3 pixel spacing between each.

I modified this GUI made it smaller and want it to have 1*6 inventory slots, each 32*32 and 0 pixel space between them.

Were to change that?

you said you modified it, but then you say how to change it.    have you changed the Gui in the Gui manager? Will this be scrollable?
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

faggc

I have another question related to this GUI: Can we release a game with Lucasarts GUI in the internet for free (I know the demo has Monkey2 GUI)? Will Lucasarts go after us until we remove the game for download?

Scummbuddy

you may be better off replacing the elements, or just not using the rooms and characters and objects that are owned by lucasarts, but yes, you can release the game on the net.
go nuts!  ;D
-Hoagie from DOTT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk