LucasArts GUI Help Thread (NEW Scumm GUI Available!)

Started by TerranRich, Fri 01/08/2003 06:04:47

Previous topic - Next topic

strazer

I think http://usuarios.lycos.es/golfapagina/templates/ is Proskrito's official site and the file there doesn't contain the doc either so I guess there is none.
Isn't it used the same way as the MI2 template anyway?

Seddonym

I've got the MI2 document so if that works for DOTT I'll read that instead.

Thanks for all your help.

strazer

I've never used the templates so I don't know but it's worth a try.

You're welcome and good luck with your game. :)

Grapefruitologist

Um, this might seem like a silly question... but remember, I'm a newbie, so I don't know much.
I want to use the LucasArts GUI, but, how do you do that? I download the .zip. But now what? (Read the readme already, but it doesn't say how to install.)
(\ _ /)
(o.o )
(>< )
This is Bunny
Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIO2qpSsUTA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-p7xaeYes

Gilbert

Just drop it in the AGS folder, when you execute AGSedit and start a new game you can choose the template to use.

Grapefruitologist

(\ _ /)
(o.o )
(>< )
This is Bunny
Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIO2qpSsUTA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-p7xaeYes

Mats Berglinn

I've stumbled across a problem when I changed the look of the options GUI. For some reason the Quit, Load, Save and Play buttons doesn't work even if I didn't change any of the code in the script. Before I changed the background of the GUI it worked just fine so I've no idea of why it happens.

I'm using 2.62 version of AGS.

Never mind, I found a way around the problem.

Cisco84

mmm hi guys!! i'm finally back, the new 2.71 version object-oriented told me <"You have to finish your game..."> ,
but it also gave me a little problem...
i wanted to do a game with LEC GUI template, and so i have downloaded the 2.7 version(thanks Lazarus!!!!) but it gave me some errors on the string stuffs... so i have edited the string vars in const string and everything fine (except the translation stuff, that i have brutally commented, as i couldn't find a way out..), but now i have a new problem, probably connected to the fact that i have edited the string in const string...
When i hover an object, or hotspos, or invobject with the mouse, the button pannel doesn't highlight the default command specified with the extension, but if i click with the right button, the status bar update the verb and it performs the default command.

So... it's a problem of the porting from 2.62 to 2.7 or from 2.7 to 2.71? (changing the string to const string)
i have found something interesting in the global script which can help solving the highlight button thing. First of all i guess the problem is in the HighlightButton function at line 327
Code: ags

function HighlightButton(int mode){
  //highlights the appropiate button for the mode passed as parameter
int counter=0;
  while (counter<MAX_MODES){
    if (Tmode[counter].button!=-1){ 
      if (mode==counter){
        SetButtonPic(MAINGUI, Tmode[counter].button, 1, Tmode[counter].highlightedbutton);
      }
      else  {
				SetButtonPic(MAINGUI, Tmode[counter].button, 1, Tmode[counter].normalbutton);
			}
    }    
   counter++;
  }
}

and so i have checked the function, and i discovered the problem is located in the first if condition the one that check

Tmode[counter].button!=-1

this one will never accour but i don't know why; in fact the

Tmode[counter].button 

will ALWAYS be equal to -1

Now...i'm not very expert with scripts and i don't know if this is the real reason why the button does not highlight, but i hope i can help solving the problem...

thanks a lot

Cisco

EDIT:
WOW i found out the solution!!!

it was the "translation" function part that i have commented. I managed to fix it with the 2.71 and now it works even the highlight button for the default command....

GREAT....but i still wonder why translate should affect the highlight function...
anyway now i have my own scumm template for 2.71...
see you!!

Cisco

P.S.

to fix the translation add const string in the script header too, not only in the global script as i did!!!!!

Edit by Ashen: Well done, but please don't double â€" never mind TRIPLE - post in future.[/size]

milkmate

Hi, first of all, I'm using MI2 2.7 lazarus version. It looks great.
A great deal of thanks to everyone involved in it.
I'm using it with 2.71 so I had to change some function headers from string to const string. That doesn't affect anything as far as I've seen.

I had this problem where sometimes the default behaviour (like with "look at" -> "Nice something") got executed instead of coded behaviour for behaviours that had specific code.

After some bug tracking I found out several things:
1. It happened only when a player was clickable.
2. It happened only when "always go to hotspot" was active
3. It happened when one was trying to interact with any part of the object that will get "covered" by the character when he finishes moving to the object (in order to interact with it)

Afterwards I read the template and found the bugged code, also I coded a workaround, not the cleanest solution by far, but I've been testing it throughly and it seems to work fine.

If anyone encounters this same problem, post a message and I'll upload the corrected template.

scourge

I'm using a CMI inteface similar to that of the MI3 template. How would I go about changing the inventory to use verb coin over inventory items instead of sierra. Like in CMI?

globesquatter

I'm using Proskrito's FOA v2.71 template and I have a problem interacting with characters. My interactions with objects, inv items, hotspots, etc. all work fine, but no matter what i try i just can't seem to do anything with my characters (NPC or player). Btw, i do have the character's 'clickable' option selected.

I've tried setting up the interactions in the interactions editor (ie. Talk to Character - RunDialog - topic 0) - nothing happens. I've tired doing it in the script (ie. Talk to character - Run Script:
if (UsedMode(TALK)) RunDialog(0);
else Unhandled();

...still nothing happens! I've tried all the other interaction options as well. Neither the interaction i want to run nor the unhandled_event runs.

I set up the RunDialog interaction with an object in my room, to test it, and the dialog runs: my player talks to the object while the NPC behind him responds! So RunDialog works fine.

When i move the mouse over the character, the action bar updates with the character's name, and when i click on the character the action bar text gets highlighted, but the mode doesn't reset to 'walk to' as it does with objects after clicking on them.

I did modify the template a bit, but even after going back to the original, adding another character and attempting an interaction, i still got nothing. I've checked out the MI2 template and got the same problem.

I've been through the forums, i've been through Proskrito's walkthru, and i can't find any answers. I don't know which part of the script is causing this problem. What the hell's going on here!? How can i interact with my characters?

NotKyle

Quick Question:

Is there a Sam n' Max GUI template out there anywhere?

scourge

Quote from: buloght on Thu 02/03/2006 23:47:29
I'm using a CMI inteface similar to that of the MI3 template. How would I go about changing the inventory to use verb coin over inventory items instead of sierra. Like in CMI?

Don't worry about it. I made one myself by updating the old MI3 template to version 2.7 and making it precisely like CMI inteface. This means:

LEFT CLICK HOLD -> open coin
LEFT CLICK -> WALK
RIGHT CLICK -> open inventory

LEFT CLICK HOLD WHILE INVENTORY OPEN -> open coin
LEFT CLICK WHILE INVENTORY OPEN -> take item or use selected item with item
RIGHT CLICK -> if item selected release item and restore mouse pointer
SCROLL OUTSIDE INVENTORY (item selected) -> close inventory and contain item
LEFT CLICK OUTSIDE INVENTORY (NO item selected) -> close inventory

Should I save a template out if it? And put it somewhere?

I'm using this interface for my game i'm working on (The Family Treasure 2)

MugOGrog

Could someone send me a 2.71 compatable version of the MI template? I can't fix it, so if someone else has, could you send it to me? Send me a PM please!
- MugOGrog

DutchMarco

Mugogrog,

How you fix it is as follows: (I'll describe it by heart so the details are wrong but you'll get the idea)

- try to test the game (Ctrl+T). You get an error and get directed to line 631 in the script.
- change the function call's "string" into "const string", do this for a few parameters.
- There's a "translate" block nearby. If you can't find it, save the text by Ctrl+W and retest by Ctrl+T. You will be redirected to that block if you choose to debug.
- comment out the function call "translate {" and "}", but leave the actual code (DefineMode function calls, or DefineINVMode or something) intact.

It should now compile properly.
------------
Edit: here's how you do it in the global script:

Line 82 change "string" into "const string":
function DefineMode(int mode, const string name, int AGSmode, char extension)

Line 91 change "string" into "const string":
function DefineInvMode(int mode, const string name, const string preposition, int onlyinv, int caninteractwithinv, char extension)

Line 659 onward, comment out the "if" statement and the call to func "translation" but leave the code inside the "if" statement to work:
//  if (Translation("default")){ // if no translation file is being used
//         mode   button   normal   highlighted
//            number   sprite   sprite
    DefineButton(   GIVE,      0,   13,   22);
    DefineButton(   PICKUP,   1,   14,   23);
    DefineButton(   USE,      2,   15,   24);
    DefineButton(   OPEN,      3,   16,   25);
    DefineButton(   LOOK,      4,   17,   26);
    DefineButton(   PUSH,      5,   18,   27);
    DefineButton(   CLOSE,   6,   19,   28);
    DefineButton(   TALK,      7,   20,   29);
    DefineButton(   PULL,      8,   21,   30);
//  }

You need the DefineButton calls for the menu to work properly. But you have now disabled translation.

There are more places where old-style strings are used, but the code seems to function with only these changes. In fact when I changed more bits of code, I just got lots of different error messages.

Campusanis

Quote from: scourgeLEFT CLICK HOLD WHILE INVENTORY OPEN -> open coin

How exactly have you scripted that? My attempt was to tick "Handle inventory clicks in script" and then fiddle with eMouseLeftInv in on_mouse_click.
Everything works fine in the MI3 GUI I use, but I can't seem to get this to work. :/

Campusanis

EDIT: Solved with the use of on_event

Psych0F0x

Quote from: Campusanis on Wed 29/03/2006 21:39:34
Quote from: scourgeLEFT CLICK HOLD WHILE INVENTORY OPEN -> open coin

How exactly have you scripted that? My attempt was to tick "Handle inventory clicks in script" and then fiddle with eMouseLeftInv in on_mouse_click.
Everything works fine in the MI3 GUI I use, but I can't seem to get this to work. :/

Campusanis

EDIT: Solved with the use of on_event

Could someone please explain this? I've only been fooling around in ags scripting since today and most of it is self-explanatory but I can't figure this out.
Project currently in development: "The Outhouse"
Namus (my band) http://www.namusrock.com/

Hype B

Hello.
Im using Proskrito's MI2 template.

I have a serius problem. I can't interact with my characters.. Ive spent probably the las 10 hourse trying to find somthing in manuals, forums, and template documents...

But no one seems to have the same problem except "globesquatter" and his post hasn't been awnserd since marc 9!! (about 5 posts up)

im realy freaking out... will this mean the end of my game?
any tips? anuone els even have this problem?

Thank you for any help given...

Hype B

Omg.

now i feel so stupid...

tried out the "td" (talk but dont walk) ending. And the characters react like normal to the interactions called...

but i didnt have the same problem as the other posts with brought that up.
my character where not working att all with just the "t" ending.

well i guess thats it.
thanks for all the great posts in this forum and the great templates u guys have done.

.Peace

Wonko The Sane

I havedownload the GUI template and I keep getting an erro when I try the test game. It says: Error (line 631): Type mismatch: cannot convert 'const string' to 'string' Iam sorry if this problem has been addressed in previous posts but I don't have time to go through 16 pages  :-\
...that is when I figured out that the world had gone insane, so I built an asylum for it. Poor thing, I hope it gets better.
-Wonko The Sane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk