LucasArts GUI Help Thread (NEW Scumm GUI Available!)

Started by TerranRich, Fri 01/08/2003 06:04:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Edgar_España

Perfect,
This already is solved.

Thank you very much to all! What would be of my without you!

Edgar_España

Ooops...! Hello friendly, I have a new problem:

I was enjoying the  9 verbs GUY, when I have loaded my Character, that previously had created when it used verbcoin. Up to here all good. The problem arrives when jam the button " pick_up". Then view of the cursor changes by… my character in movement view! I have been looking for a little but I do not give with the problem… I will have to create my character from the beginning again, or exists a solution? Thanks family!

Edgar_España

Ey. It already is. It was a stupidity.

Thanks anyway, friendly.

Edgar_España

Hello partners, I am again.
I have what I believe that is going to be my last problem with the GUY of 9 verbs: When jam some button related to character, for example, to speak, player walks until being in front of him… I gave I put in the Script, for example, that remains to a distance of 20 pixels: player first it walks until character, and later, it retraces steps until the position that I wrote in the Script….             

how I can do so that to drive a verb related to character, it does not cause that my player one moves automatically towards this character?    (Maybe my English is understandable here… I`m sorry.

UPS: And a small question, not related to this subject, but that perhaps of step you prune to respond to me: How I can cause that there is to character or one view in constant movement without this blocks mo to character, for example the smoke of Smirk in Monkey 1 or Wally writing, in Monkey 2?

Thank mi friends!!! And sorry for my evil english.

ButtercupSaiyan

Right, so I'm a total noob to AGS and just following tutorials at this point.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/9Qxvm.png[/imgzoom]

I loaded up babby's first room and the interface is blocking the character a bit. Is there some way to move the UI to the top, or will I need to include black space on the bottom of every background?

My resolution is current 1024x768. The Right click UI is also off a bit but still usable.

Khris

Sure, you can reposition the interface, just change the GUIs' Top properties in the editor.
However, every game I know of that used this interface had it at the bottom, so I'd go the "only use the top two thirds of the backgrounds" route.

Btw, are you sure that 1024x768 is the right choice for you? And what do you mean by "right click UI"?

ButtercupSaiyan

The menu that you get when you right click, it offers some options for saving and loading.

And thank you for replying. I've been going through the tutorials and Wiki but it's actually kind of hard to find information for a specific issue. In this case, I didn't know what controlled the 9-verb section. I am not sure 1024x768 is the right choice, but 800x600 is too small for my current resolution to be able to see any detail on a 1900x1000 monitor. We are in 2012, after all! But I don't know if there are ways to scale it differently from a low-resolution.

Khris

Sure, it's 2012, but you are using a 9verb-GUI, don't you? ;)
AGS has a variety of filters; you can scale the game window up to 4x. Compile the game (F7), open the Compiled dir in the game dir and run winsetup.exe. There you can choose the filter. This setting will also be used when you run the game from within AGSEdit (F5).

In general, the choice of resolution is subject to your graphic abilities and the style you're aiming for, not an arbitrary high resolution you happen to have your desktop set to.

If you must use the 9verb GUI as a beginner, familiarize yourself with AGS's general workings first by following the tutorial in the manual. Then read through the PDF that comes with the template in order to learn about the special funtions and slightly different workflow.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Working with the VebCoin Gui (came with AGS 3.2),
I seem to have broken the Inventory Window, won't call up on right click after returning from a certain room...
What I think is the problem is that I am using the following code in this room,
    /code
    {if (mouse.IsButtonDown(eMouseLeft))       {
      mouse.SetBounds(165, 10, 230, 230);
      mouse.Mode = eModeUsermode1;
      check_Shaking();
      }
    /code

The room is a shooter mini-game, uses timers and funtions all running in the repeatedly execute, works pretty good. BUT when I exit the room I am having glitches. In the exit function I use
/code
mouse.Mode = eModePointer;
    code/
in attempt to return the curser and and verb coin to normal, cursor and verb coin work but right-click does not bring up inventory?
Hope someone might know what I'm talking about, hope I'm on the right thread.
Thanks!

MiteWiseacreLives!

Just to add to my previous post,
I am also switching characters, to the Helicopter character for the shooter .. then back to the main Char(the one with all the inventory) going back to a normal room. I am also unable to bring up the inventory when the helocopter is set to player, I assumed this was because of all the looping & repeat execute stuff going on in that level.. I don't know how to properly handle the inventory when changing characters, I am using the .SetAsPlayer() funtion.

MiteWiseacreLives!

OK I got it.
Just for any weary noob ags'er like myself out there, this template does NOT like " mouse.Mode = eModePointer " I replaced that with eModeWalkto and the inventory GUI comes up as expected. AGS is not overwhelmed by a bunch of loops and if-statements, I am.

Ewery1

Ah! Noooo the link is broken. Does anyone know of a working gui like this?

Khris

AGS comes with a 9verb GUI.
Just start a new game and select it.

Ewery1

Quote from: Khris on Sat 28/12/2013 16:28:00

Whoops. Thanks!

Ewery1

Quote from: Khris on Sat 28/12/2013 16:28:00
[/quote

Aaaand now I have to copy and paste everything... At least I got got to one room.

ZayanM

I was not using several of the verbs in the LucasArts GUI and I did not want the player to get confused. I started of by deleting the buttons (eg. Open, Close, Pick Up, Give to) from the GUI - Looks like that was a big mistake. I get an error saying "in guiscript.asc", line 389 from "guiscript.asc", line 457 from "guiscript.asc", line 1634      Error: Error running function 'repeatedly_execute': Error: Null pointer referenced.

I tried making changes but have not been successful. Any help? I haven't backed up in a while.

abstauber

I just deleted a few buttons myself without any errors. The problem might be, that you've also deleted the graphics in the sprite folder.
To fix you problem, go to guiscript.asc and start at line 551. There you find lines like:

Code: ags
    SetActionButtons(eGA_GiveTo, "a_button_give    0  125  138 Qq");

Comment out all those lines referring to the buttons you've already deleted - also for the other languages (in other words, do it 5 times)

This should do it

ZayanM

Thanks for the quick reply, I was only just able to test it - and that fixed it!
The sprites are still there though, so I am not sure what else I did to cause it.

rmonic79

hello, we are making  game in Italian. we have main charachter say something at first room load, during speech the verbs box say "text" and the GUI is translated to italian when the speech ends. Is there a way to avoid that?
solved the text thing deleting a label in guy, it was simple after all :)
for the GUI the only solution i found was overwrite the english sprite with Italian, is there a  method to translate gui before fadein?

rmonic79

hi guys we are stuck with two scene :( we need to do action from distance but  it doesn't seem to work, the player try to go to the object or charachter. Help please. Thank you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk