Rise from the Abyss!

Started by Barbarian, Mon 26/12/2005 16:11:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

You know what Don?

This 35% made my day! Right now! It is morning 7:00 and you made my day!

Thank you and I'm waiting eagerly for this game!

Note that, for some reason, the last image with Jane takes a lot of time and in the end it does not load. It might be my problem but still, thought I'd let you know...

Barbarian

Nikolas:Ã,  Good to know that I "made your day"Ã,  ;)
It's nice to know I have some moral support out there regarding this project and that some of you are looking forwards to playing it.

I think I have the image problem fixed, check it out now and enjoy! Let the anticipation build. Heheh.
Before I uploaded that image, I thought I'd take a chance and try to use the AGS File Uploads area http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsuploads/index.phpÃ,  , but for some reason it seems that site is not connecting too well at the moment.Ã,  So I've now uploaded that image to one of my own sites.

Yeah, I've made a lot of progress on the game lately. I guess I felt a bit extra inspired to work on it, plus as the last week or so is the "Chinese New Year" holidays here in Hong-Kong where I'm now residing at, my regular "day-job" was a bit slow, so I had a bit of extra spare time recently.

I'm now working on scripting some possible "fight scenes" into my game and thinking how might be the best way to approach that.
Actually, I was playing around with the idea to perhaps make certain fight-scenes in a "First-Person-Shooter" style... but that's still a "maybe".Ã,  Though I'm still scripting to have some fight-scenes in the 3rd-person action perspective.

I'm doing my best to have the graphics fairly "consistant" in my game, even though I'm mainly "borrowing" (ripping) the graphics from various other games I have, though I still need to spend a lot of time and effort on the various graphics to edit them to make it useable and look good and to fit in with the overall look, feel and style of my game.Ã,  I've also been carefully selecting just the right sound-effects and "ambient" noises and/or music that will be heard in the background.

Okay, I'll keep working at this project, and bring you guys more progress reports soon.Ã,  Who knows, if I can keep this pace up for a while, the game might actually be ready sooner than expected.Ã,  ;D

*Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention:Ã,  I've found a neat way to make my game playable with a joystick-controller / gamepad as well.Ã,  So, the game could be played with either mouse or by joystick / gamepad. If you just have a basic joystick-controller / Gamepad, you can still fully emulate the mouse movement and functions. If you have a joystick-controller / gampad similar in style to the "PlayStation" type of controllers that has both the directional thumb-pad along with the thumb-joystick, you can use the directional-thumb-pad to control the walking movement of the main character, and with the thumb-joystick you could move the pointer and the joystick-controller's / gamepad's "Button 1" emulates a "Left-Mouse Click", and "Button 2" emulates a "Right Mouse Click", in this method the whole game could easily be playable using just a joystick / gamepad controller . So far it all works pretty good. More about that later.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Sam.

I don't think he wants to be putting his hand in the urinal.

Looks excellent though. I dont really care that the graphics are ripped. They are appropriate, and much effort went into getting them.

The game looks very proimising, I can't wait to play it.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Hammerite

even though the graphics are ripped this still appeals to me... however, i dont think that alyx out of half-life 2 really fits in, maybe if you could do some editing in photoshop somehow.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Barbarian

Zooty: Heheh, you're probably right that ya don't want to be really putting your hand in the dirty urnial.
And perhaps I should have saved this following tidbit of info as a "surprise", but I think I'll tell you guys about it now: actually, something a bit "unique" in my game is that in fact you can use the urinal and toilet!Ã,  In my adventure game I'm trying to allow the character(s) the freedom to do some things that "normally" you might not see in most adventure games when a character is in a certain situation or location (in this case, being in the washroom, normally most games don't allow the charactr to actually "use" the toilet, so I thought "Heck, why not!" ;)Ã, 

Hammerrite: I thought the "Jack" and "Jane" characters in action within my game, appeared to fit the setting quite nicely and seem to be fairly consistant with the backgrounds and various other graphics.Ã,  When you say you don't think the new character doesn't really fit, do you just mean because it's a recognizable character from another game? Or do you mean you think the graphic style doesn't really fit well?Ã,  It took me a lot of time and effort to gather those sprites and to re-edit them to try and fit to look fairly decent for use within my game.

Adventure Gaming Fans who are currently following my project and awaiting it's release:Ã,  What do some of you other people think? Should I keep the current "Jane" sprites for that character, even though it's "ripped" from a well-known character from the HL2 game? - of course as you all probably know by now, I've been "ripping" most all the sprites and graphics for this game.Ã, 
Or do you think I should try and find a whole new set of sprites for the Jane character and drop the current "HL2 Alyx" sprites which I was using for the time being?Ã,  Of course I'm trying to keep the various graphics looking nice and trying to be "consistant".Ã,  If enough people think I should really change the current "Jane" sprites to something different, then perhaps I shall go ahead and change it.Ã,  However keep in mind that may add an extra month or more of time of my working on my game before it could be released, wheras if I keep the current "Jane" sprites, I could save a lot of time and release my game sooner.

Here's a couple more pics of "Jack & Jane" together using the current sprites. See what you think:

Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã, 
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Mugs

Quote from: Barbarian on Sat 04/02/2006 20:37:06
What do some of you other people think? Should I keep the current "Jane" sprites for that character, even though it's "ripped" from a well-known character from the HL2 game?

I say it's fine the way it is.
Cool stuff I found out: Men are four times more likely to be struck by lightning than women.  Wow, really? [dirty joke] Maybe this has to do with the fact that us men have "lightning rods"? [/dirty joke]

JRock

To me, it don't matter where you got the sprites.Ã,  If you can take them and use them to create your own game, your own unique adventure, then the fact that they came from somewhere else won't even be an issue, in my opinion.Ã,  And it looks like that is exactly what your doing here.Ã,  You are obviously putting a lot of work into this project and everyone should respect you for that.Ã,  So don't worry about the sprites, because the amazing game you are creating far surpasses the fact that these are ripped sprites.Ã,  Ã, ;)

Keep up the good work!

Barbarian

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it and I seriously consider all feedback (positive or negative. I try to have an open-mind and learn from all critisism and try to keep improving myself).Ã,  And thanks for talking some good sense into me JRockÃ,  ;)Ã,  Ã, 

Yes, after reading your comments, and after thinking about my overall project and all the hard work and time I've thus far put into it, I think I'll just keep the sprites as it currently is.Ã,  Heck, it's my project afterall, so really it's up to me anyways.Ã,  Ã, However, I do greatly respect the opinions of my fellow AGSers here, and I wanted to make my project as good as I possibly can make it with the current way I'm getting the materials for my game.Ã, 

For future projects I do plan on having all original art... but as this "Elevator - Redux!" project is a "contination" of my first "Elevator" game (and the graphics for that game was "ripped"), and even though that was a short project made within just 1 week's time, overall the response from people who played that game was quite positive, and I had lots comments and emails from many people basically saying to the effect "Wow, I loved your Elevator game! Please continue it and make a new game.".Ã, 

Ã,  Ã,  So, I will do my best to keep the game looking "consistant", even though sometimes I will be gathering materials for my game from different sources.Ã,  But Jrock is right, it's about creating an "amazing game" for people to enjoy, regardless that most of the graphics are "borrowed"Ã,  :)

Ã,  I promise that when this overall project is completed it, that most of you here who decide to play my game won't be dissapointed.Ã,  I'm improving my "game making skillz" all the time, and I feel this will be my best project yet!

... Okay, gonna get back to working on my game now.Ã,  "Hey, wait a minute, what's that strange noise? Oh my Gawd, is that a Zombie behind you... Aahhhh!"Ã,  ;D

Mordalles

hey, i have no problem with ripped sprites. you're doing an awesome job, and i cant wait for the game. you are not getting paid, so who cares, right?  ;D

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Sean

Barbie, are there any 'Floor's I could offer my services for?

The Ivy

This is looking superb.Ã,  I loved the original Elevator game, and I was thrilled to see you'd started working on a sequel/extension.Ã,  Looks like you've got the original creepy atmosphere captured in this version.Ã,  I have to say, while I was playing the first one, every noise or change in the little message screen made me think "Aaagh, what was that?"Ã,  Heh, for those who haven't played it, I dare you to try it alone at night. :P

Good luck Barbarian! :)

Barbarian

Mordalles: Thanks for the comments. Nice to know I have some "fans" out there looking forwards to playing my game. Am I getting paid for this? ummm, well I was thinking of charging $50 USD per copy. *Zing* Heheh, just joking. Of course my game will be totally free.  :=

Sean: Thanks for the offer of support. You do an awesome job of making such wonderful 3D-ish looking type of backgrounds that may fit in nicely with a game like this. Anyways, I'll think about what I might need and I may be in touch with you soon.

Ivy: Awww *Blush*  ;) Thank-yea! Well, if you liked my first "Elevator" game, you're sure to love this remake. It will be MUCH better in every way, and a LOT more "creepier" too.  BTW: From what you've shown us of your "Spooks" game so far, it looks very good.

Barbarian

Hey guys, just to let you know that I'm still making steady progress on my game, even though this last few days I been a little busy with work.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the "Boiler Room". There's things happening here that you can't "see" in a still shot. For example, Animations such as: The fan on the wall spins around, and a mist of steam-vapour escapes sometimes from some of the pipes. All the while accompanying background sounds and noises are heard. Also there are "Lighting" and "Shadow" effects that can't really be appreciated from just a still screenshot.Ã,  Sound of footsteps change when the character is walking on the concrete floor or the metal steps. Adding in all these little "touches" is also something that will help make the various scenes and rooms come "alive", and also is why it's a fair amount of work involved and not just simply "ripping" graphics.

Gord10

Yay, looks really good :) But I think you should also adjust the character's lighting, the blue man inside the red lighted room looks very odd. It is harmful for the atmosphere of the game.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Mozesh

Keeps looking better and better Don, keep up the good work!

Barbarian

Quote from: Gord10 on Tue 14/02/2006 18:37:26
Yay, looks really good :) But I think you should also adjust the character's lighting, the blue man inside the red lighted room looks very odd. It is harmful for the atmosphere of the game.

Gord: Yes, you're right on that, I was thinking the same thing. I just didn't have the time yet to properly adjust the various lighting / tone / hue type of effects for some of the areas in my game... but don't worry, the end result, everything will match more naturally and look more better. Ã, ;)
Ã,  Some of the "Screenies" I share with you guys are before I've had a chance to properly "tweak and polish" those parts yet.

Mozesh: Thanx man! A little motivation here goes a long way.

DonB

Looking very nice out there.. most exciting.. and i dont care you use second-handed sprites.. why not.. like said before.. you ain't getting paid for it or something..

JRock

Holy sh-t!!!  This is lookin awesome!!!  I cannot wait to play this!!!
Excellent job!!!!!!!!!!    ;) ;) ;)

Barbarian

Hey everyone.

Just a quick update regarding my project;

I'm still making some progress, though the last couple of weeks I haven't worked much on it as my father just passed-away recentlyÃ,  :'( , so lately I wasn't in such a "game making mood".Ã,  But still, it's good to keep the mind occupied, so now I'm trying to get a back into working on this project some during my spare time.

Currently, I'd say overall progress is approximately 46% completed (this is if I stick with just the 3 Main "Acts" I orignally had planned for the game), with the "First Main Act" of the game just about completed. I was planning on "Three Main Acts / Parts / Levels" that will make up bulk of the story of the game and each "Act" will generally include a sizable amount of rooms to explore as well as advancing important parts of the story. Depending on how the game progresses along after a while, I may decide to add an extra "Fourth Act", and possibly some "Bonus Acts" - For example: Ending Acts and/or Ending Scenes may differ according to the choices the character makes during the game.

Here's another sneak-peek of the game in action ( *Note - picture has been "cropped" from the original, and this picture was saved in 'jpg' format, so quality seen here is reduced from what will be seen in-game):
------------------------------------------------------
Jack continues to explore his surroundings.

JRock

Sorry to hear about your father.

The game is looking very good!Ã,  I'm glad you posted an update cuz I am really lookin forward to this.Ã,  I wish you the best of luck on the rest of the project and I can't wait to play it upon completion!Ã,  Ã, ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk