Rise from the Abyss!

Started by Barbarian, Mon 26/12/2005 16:11:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarian

*UPDATE: Jan.21.2007 - Current overall game progress is approximately around 72% completed.

Due to popular demand, I've been now working the last few months on my new adventure game, "The Elevator - Rise from the Abyss!".Ã,  Some of you may remember my original "Elevator" game, which I made for the first "One Room, One Week" competition a while back: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=20505.0
Ã,  The main character in that adventure found himself stuck in an Elevator, and needed to find a way to escape.

My new "Elevator - Rise from the Abyss!" game will be based on the idea / concept of the original game, but it will be expanded into a full sized adventure game, with lots of areas to explore, a few interesting characters to interact with (sometimes perhaps being able to control / play-as a different character within the game), nasty monsters will be encountered (did I hear a Zombie behind you?). I'm planning on implementing "fight-scenes" at key points in the game, however, some fights may be won in different ways (Example: Use your Wits, or a helpful Weapon might come in handy as well). A much more intersting story will unfold as our adventurer explores and interacts with his surroundings.
==========

Ã,  Ã, A brief summery of the story I will share with you thus far:

Jack is an average guy who's a bit down on his luck.Ã,  Having a tuff time finding a new job, and with the bills piling up, he thinks his luck's about to change when an ad in a local newspaper catches his eye:

"Wanted: Testers for a R&D firm. Good pay! No experience required as on-the-job training will be provided. Interested individuals please come to our office located at 2 Gardenview Lane in PleasantVille on Wednsday between the hours of 6 - 8 pm".Ã, 

Hmmm, PleasantVille... Jack's never been there, and it's a bit out of town.Ã,  But curiousity gets the best of him so he decides to check it out. Finally arriving in the quiet little town of PleasantVille, it almost seems abandonded.Ã,  Finally, Jack locates the address of the office, though he's a little bit late by this time.Ã,  But, trying his luck, he knocks. No answer.Ã,  Trying the door, it's unlocked, so he decides to go in... "Hello! Is anyone here?"

No answer... it seems no one's here. Damn! But, now the real adventure is about to start. Jack find he's "stuck" in the office, so, he goes into a back room to try and find a way out. He will find that in fact the office was not "abandonded" as he thought, and into a fearsome terror of a waking nightmare he will fall, and soon he will find that his "new job" is to Survive, to stay alive as long as he can as he finds "The Elevator", which brings him to face horrors, devious puzzles and madness at each new level.Ã,  Ã, 

Some sick feindish mastermind seems to be playing some kind of warped "game" with Jack, watching, waiting, enjoying Jack's desperate prediciment and his impending doom.Ã,  Jack may need to make some desperate choices if he wishes to stay alive.Ã,  Some choices may plunge Jack into a world of darkness and despair which will challenge his very morality, his very soul!
===========================================================

Ã,  Ã, The "Elevator" will be a re-occuring "portal" of sorts which will take Jack to different areas to explore.Ã,  If Jack is to survive and escape this nightmare, he will need to find the next "Elevator" in each area which can help take him to his freedom and salvation.
I was hoping to make a "Survival Horror" type of aventure, similar in idea to the "Resident Evil" / "Silent Hill" type of games.Ã,  I'm taking my time to do a good job on this game, and as my life is rather busy at times, so there's no set release date yet. I'll just say that I'll work on this game as much as I'm able to in my spare time and hope to release it within 2006 sometime.

Below is a few ScreenShots of my game. The quality of the ScreentShots here reduced from what will be seen in-game, as I converted them over to "jpg" format and resized them a bit smaller to display better on this page:

Jack finds a "Withered Corpse", is this some previous "victim" perhaps?

The Elevator! It will be like "Friend and Foe" at times during Jack's adventure.

Exploring an alleyway in what appears to be a "Ghost Town". What horrors will Jack find here?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a good start on making this game, but I've still got a long way to go yet.Ã,  The game will have lots of nice graphics (as you can probably tell by the screenshots), and I'll be adding in some nice extra features (eg: shadows for the characters. cool "animations" at key sequences. "cut scenes" of almost "movie-like" effect.).Ã,  Ã, 

I was thinking to wait a bit longer before making a game-in-production thread for this game.. but I figured, I've already put in several months of work on it, and got a good start. Plus, I think I could use the inspiration from some of you fellow adventurers here to help motivate me on.Ã,  ;DÃ,  Ã, 

As I make some significant progress, I'll keep you all updated here from time to time.
Best regards.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

JRock

Puppet Master

uh... though i'm pretty sure you ripped all of these graphics, the elevator in the second screen looks like you (or they I guess) Completely skipped doing it in perspective. If you could fix the elevator, that would be great, great work so far man.

Barbarian

Yes, ( and before more people mention about the graphics being ripped) I'm "borrowing" the graphics from various other sources  ;)  Same way as I did for my original "Elevator" game, but people seemed forgiving of that fact and overall enjoyed the game and wanted to see more.

It's actualy a lot of work to get and edit the right "screen grabs" and graphics I need/want to use for use in this game and to put it all together in the right way.  The "Elevator" perspective is a "bit off" on purpose, and I sort of put-together the Elevator myself by splicing/editing together many screen-grabs of that scene. I was trying to go for a "overhead at an angle looking down" type of perspective there... almost as if the "Elevator" itself was looking at the character.

Inside "The Elevator", it's a bit of a "warped" placed, "half in reality, half in the paranormal" type of idea, and I was trying to get this type of "warped look / feel" for when the character is inside the actual Elevator.  If you play my original "Elevator" game, I think you'll better understand the type of setting, look and feel I was going for inside the Elevator.

Also, "borrowing" the graphics for this game as I'm doing will allow me to better create the type of look / feel that I had in mind, also make it seem a bit more "realistic" when playing, and also as I'm not a good computer artist, this is a much better and faster way for me to produce the type of work I want for my game.  I know some people hate or are against "borrowing" graphics from other gaming sources, and I can understand that... but still I think many players will be forgiving of that if I can provide them with a good gaming experience (and for free too  ;D ). 

For future projects of mine, I do plan on using all original art, but for this particilar game-in-production I think I will be able to produce a great game with fantastic visuals going the way I decided in regards to the graphics.
   Thanks for understanding.  :) 
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Mordalles

yay! i just played elevator last week, and i was going to ask you if youre going to do a full version, since i really liked it! and now i see u are. great!

cant wait.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Candle

This looks really good. can't wait to play it.

JRock

Well....Regardless of what graphics are yours and what graphics aren't, this is an amazing feat and I can't wait to play.
:)

And (it looks like Silent Hill)  I love Silent Hill!!!!

Rd27

Looking very good! I don't mind the ripped graphics because they look fantastic!

Can't wait to play this one.

Good luck!

Mozesh

Looks great Don, but of course you already know what I think of this :) .
Let me say again that I'm really looking forward to this and good luck ;D

Mugs

The screens look a little better than the original.  Looking forward to see what's on the other side of the elevator doors. 
Cool stuff I found out: Men are four times more likely to be struck by lightning than women.  Wow, really? [dirty joke] Maybe this has to do with the fact that us men have "lightning rods"? [/dirty joke]

Barbarian

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.
It's good to know there's some interest in my project and that people are looking forwards to playing it when it's ready.Ã,  Ã, If you liked my original "Elevator" game, then you're sure to love this "Elevator - Redux!" version. I promise everything will be MUCH better (Story, Graphics, Animations, Puzzles, Playability, etc...)

I'm still working hard on the game in my spare time, making steady progress... It's starting to take good shape overall now.

In the meantime, I thought I'd give you all some more "eye candy" of the main character "walking downwards" sprite animation.Ã,  The little "gif editor" I used to put this together did something wonky to the colors and seemed to have lowered the resolution... the actual sprite in-game will look much better in color, sharpness and resolution, but at least this gives you a bit of an idea of the work I'm putting into piecing together smooth looking character animations.

HillBilly

Wow, this looks great. How long does it take to rip all those sprites?

I also love the twisted perspective in the elevator.

JRock

Is "Elevator - Redux" the actual name your going to use or is it just a working title?  Just wondering if it is or if you might use a whole new name.

Barbarian

H.B.:  Yeah, it does take a lot of time to grab and edit the graphics that I'm using in the game.  I think its an "art-form" in itself doing it this way.  ;)

JR:  I was still planning on calling it "The Elevator", but I may change the "Redux" tag name into something different before release.  I'll see what more suitable name I can think of during development.

Still makin' progress on my game. More updates coming soon.

JRock

So, Whats new?  (Sorry, I'm just really looking forward to this game  := )

Barbarian

Hi guys. Just to let you know that I've still been working on my game, though progress is going a bit slower than I hoped. Life's been a bit busy lately, so not as much time to dedicate to my project.

Still, I've worked out the story details a bit more, been working on some new locations / rooms in my game to explore, preparing more backgrounds, working more on some of the character sprites (main characters as well as some NPC characters), getting some early scripting-work done some possible "fight-scene" sequences, got the "Save / Load with Screenshots GUI" implemented, tested and working good now.  Also, I think I may have thought up a better "Tag Name" for the game instead of "Redux!", but, I will wait a bit more before I decide firmly on that.

Perhaps soon I'll have some more goodies to show here, but in the meantime you can know that I'm still gradually making some progress on my game.

Gord10

I'm looking forward to play :) Don't worry about the slow progress, it is something very usual in large projects like this.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Corey

This looks like a very interesting game, like something you can aks money for... btw are those textures picture based??
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

Sean

Good stuff so far. I'll check out the original game pretty soon.

I appreciate how time consumeing the sprite 'ripping' process is and you show some real dedication to your work to produce such art via such a slow painstaking process.

Looking forward to this, good luck with it :)  :D

Barbarian

Hi everyone.
Ã,  Ã, Well, I've been working hard on my project in my spare time the last couple of weeks and I've made a lot of progress.Ã, 
Ã,  Ã,  I've almost completed work on the first main "level" that will be explored in the game.Ã,  I've also made significant progress on adding more puzzles, rooms, graphics and sounds.Ã,  Also, I've added in another important character, "Jane", who becomes Jack's new best friend after he rescues her from a terrible situation.
Ã,  Ã, Overall, I'd say the game's progress is around 35% completed now.

Ã,  Ã, Okay, as a special treat to all your eager Adventure Gaming fans out there who might be looking forwards to playing my game, I provide another screenie of one of the rooms to be explored (please note, the image below has been "cropped" from the full size, and imaged quality is reduced as the picture was saved in "jpg" format to help reduce file size and image loading time for this page):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack, along with his new friend Jane, enters a disgustingly dirty and foul smelling washroom. Ugh! What surprises might they find in here besides the dirty toilets?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk