Planning for awards season

Started by SSH, Fri 09/12/2005 09:51:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Pet Terry

Quote from: Nikolas on Mon 09/01/2006 15:34:14
I would also be happy to volunteer for the comitee that hasto do with music.

I'm up for this as well (+ best sound), if you decide to have a committee.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Erenan

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 09/01/2006 10:49:27
I think you're saying that because it's a lot of work to select nominations, you'd like some volunteers to help you - and since there haven't been any so far you'll have to go with voting instead.
I think he was just saying that no one else was volunteering to run the awards.
The Bunker

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

If SSH is going to run it I say let him run it the way he wants.  It's all a bit of fun, as CJ said- try to keep that in mind when you begin getting upset because someone doesn't share your view with how a contest - which is supposed to be a fun way to reward providers of adventure games- should be handled.  Now, as to my view on it...

[my opinion]
Personally, I think anyone that makes a game people enjoy (and especially for free) is a winner, since they took the time to put together something for someone else to enjoy - but that's just my opinion.  If anything, I think the distribution of awards has a tendency to upset entrants who did not win anything, since they may feel rather left out.  It's a natural feeling, especially if you're paired against a particularly high-profile game (I'll use the Al Emmo vs. single developer notion).  I wouldn't expect anyone to vote for a lower quality game just because it was made by one person, but at the same time there's an issue of what should we expect from a commercial project or one with several team members vs. a small to one-person project.  I know my expectations differ by the scope of the project and size of the team.  Perhaps games should be more carefully categorized to lessen this problem. 
[/my opinion]

AlbinoPanther

ProgZmax you are 100% right.

But this award thingy is a great fun so let SSH do it on his way.

We are hardly waiting for it ;D

Radiant

Just a random suggestion, but maybe we should list runners-up as well for the larger categories, especially if they're close. That's why the olympic games have silver medals, no?

SSH

OK, so I hereby take posession of the Awards as no-one else has claimed them and I shall also try to do the FOREGOs at the same time, so that we can get everything in one place. I shall try and put together a list of all the categories, etc. However, meantime, I'd like to narrow down the eligible games. I shall not consider any games that are not in the games page already and this list: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=digest&sortby=3&sortdir=1&startfrom=0 shall be definitive, with Christmas Quest being the last eligible game of 2005.

Meanwhile, I will start a "For your consideration" thread which can hopefully be stickied and people can post moderately-sized adverts for their games there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk