Looking for Chris

Started by theatrx, Sat 31/12/2005 04:43:54

Previous topic - Next topic

theatrx

I really looked on where this shoud be posted... No Clue... There is no where to reach the guy.  I will and always do trust the moderator to put this in this right place... Many thanks. Steve

I've been working on a new project since I started using your program. I think it's marvelous.
I would like to start a new company that makes games for people.

I.E. A Game for the Downtown Business Association that would tour each business.
I.E. A game for any business that wants a game about their business
I.E. A game for any business... anywhere... that thinks this could improve their business.

I love how your game engine works... for the most part... I will ask for  favours.

Chris... I think You could make a lot of money if some smchuk like me decided  that this could work for Business.

Since I saw how this engine worked I thought... Hmmm. This could work on a whole  bunch of levels that I don't think Chris even thougt about... You probably did  though... What I'm saying is... If I decided to pump a bunch of money into this  project... would you be willing... or your dominions be willing to give me some  new code... Stuff that is not in the current Edition?

Disable stuff
If you have stuff
If you've been here
The usual "on Pop Ups"... Not in Code

In pop ups... not actual code... I'm not doing code... Short and sweet

If so... how much do you need for me (money/cash/pounds) asking you to do a bunch of stuff?

I have two backers that have seen what I've already written with your program...  they are impressed...  I told them it was you.

Chris... what I'm asking is... I have photographers... script writers... Character makers...Music Writers... I need AGS to be universal.

I think I can sell finished 'games' to busnesses to promote their business.

To communities... to promote their communities...

I think what you've created is intense and useful.  I want to run with it.

I have some AGS Guys that are willing to write modules... I like modules alot more than plug ins. 

So what kind of fee are we talking about to make AGS a game engine for the world? 

I think you're there... already... I think you need a push.

I don't want to write code at all... I want a simple "Look at my business" kind of approach... nothing hard... some puzzles but not hard... look at this... look at that... that kind of thing.

Let me know.

I didn't check spelling at all so it's all probably wrong... Sorry.

Give me a clue... I think we both can make some money.  Steve

And PS Thank you for a wonderful game engine... You did great work!!!
Life is a banquet and most poor sonsofbitches are starving to death

MillsJROSS

You should have probably just PM'd chris yourself.

I can't really speak for Chris, but I can say that in the past he has been commited to making sure AGS was free. On the basis that he wanted to make this for pleasure, and he didn't want to have it feel like a job. I think currently he's happy with his job salary. He might be interested, I don't know. I'm not really sure what you really want him to do, though. And I'm sure if he goes under such a business venture, he'll want a secure the ownership of everything he's made.

As I said, I can't speak for Chris, only he can do so. But I'd like to hear more about what your doing, because I'm not exactly sure what you want.

-MillsJROSS

Phemar

Isn't Chris unavailable until the 4th of January?

Darth Mandarb

Who is this Chris character?

Mats Berglinn

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sat 31/12/2005 08:07:05
Who is this Chris character?

I'm not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic, Darth, but I believe the guy's talking about CJ, Pumaman, The maker of the Big Blue Cup and Universe of Adventure Game Studios (Okay maybe I exaggerate a little but couldn't resist).

Ishmael

Sorry for dangling on detail here, but...

Quote from: theatrx on Sat 31/12/2005 04:43:54
would you be willing... or your dominions be willing to give me someÃ,  new code... Stuff that is not in the current Edition?

What do you mean?

Stuff that is not in the current edition? Like what? Like new features? I don't quite understand where you're going here. But if I got it correctly I think that if you'd have stayed around for a while and followed the tech boards I think would understand AGS a bit better on that side. You can't just go and shove new features in.

Chris is the only one to have ever seen the AGS Source Code, and as far as I know - what he has said that is - he is going to keep it that way. And as far as I know - on the same basis - he is not going to make any money with AGS - just like Mills said.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Pesty

If CJ wanted to make money off of AGS, he would've already. He's had more than enough chances in doing so. Many forum members have said that they would be willing to pay for AGS and have even offered to donate money to him as thanks, and he's always refused it.
Now, I'm Pesty and I'm awesome, so I CAN speak for Chris, and I know for 100% super fact that he will be uninterested in your offer, however potentially lucrative it is. But if you don't believe me, you can wait until January 4th to hear it from him.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Al_Ninio

Just wanted to say... that I find your writing... style... hilarious...

ildu

Quote from: Al_Ninio on Sat 31/12/2005 10:50:57Just wanted to say... that I find your writing... style... hilarious...

I used to write like that on the Internet some years ago. I can't fathom what possessed me to do that. It's just insane and usually makes for incomprehensible text. I'm actually a bit embarrassed that I used to do it.

Quote from: theatrx on Sat 31/12/2005 04:43:54I would like to start a new company that makes games for people.

I.E. A Game for the Downtown Business Association that would tour each business.
I.E. A game for any business that wants a game about their business
I.E. A game for any business... anywhere... that thinks this could improve their business.

Now I don't want to underestimate your knowhow, since you do seem like a capable and professional guy. But AGS isn't the most business-friendly venture.

First of all, you have the problem of installation. Users will need to download and install this suspiciously old-looking program. Secondly, there are compatability and specification issues. You don't want a Mac or Linux user to download a separate version. Also, you don't really want to deal with questions from users about hardware issues and resolution inconsistensies and other troubles. Thirdly, AGS isn't the most powerful engine, neither a well-dubbed or common platform for the mainstream public. Clients aren't likely to fall for it. Fourth, it's quite difficult to iron out all the bugs in a game. From the client's perspective you would be taking way too much time on beta-testing only, let alone making the games.

What you should really do is fall into the ranks of many designers and use Flash.  Flash is online-based so no installation needed, expect for the driver. There are literally no specification or compatability issues, because the installed driver directs those. Flash is a very powerful and well-known engine. It's a high-profile engine and clients will have experience in dealing with it. Even short-time Internet users will probably already have the driver installed, since Flash is so common. Bug-testing is much easier in Flash and it's less prone to bugs, since the engine is logically time-based and the program fixes bugs, which means you're less likely to screw things up.

On top of all this, Flash is free. The only problem is that you'll have a lot of competition. Flash is the present and future of online media. So it's only to be expected that a lot of companies already concentrate singularily on Flash. Also, a lot of clients will expect the quality already visible to them from earlier Flash media, so it'll be difficult. Nevertheless, I can promise you that any client looking to get a maximum amount of money and users will choose Flash over AGS, and you wouldn't stay afloat very long with this engine.

Elliott Hird

QuoteI don't want to write code at all... I want a simple "Look at my business" kind of approach... nothing hard... some puzzles but not hard... look at this... look at that... that kind of thing.
So basically, "i'll give you money and you do all the work, so i earn more money in return". Not gonna happen.

m0ds

I love the way sarcasm can't be detected on the internet anymore!

::)

ildu

Quote from: Elliott Hird on Sat 31/12/2005 14:42:30So basically, "i'll give you money and you do all the work, so i earn more money in return". Not gonna happen.

Well, that's pretty much how business and contracting works. It's all about difference in weight between the two parties. It's his business venture, so he may contract a coder and the money will be handled according to the weight. Now Chris is the owner of the licenses for AGS, but it's open source. So if he's asked to improve the engine for the client's (theatrx) needs, I'd guess Chris would be selling the licenses for the improved engine. So he has quite a lot more weight than a contracted coder, meaning the client would have to pay more for the licenses. Basically, business is all about trying to do something as cheap as possible and reaping the maximum of benefits.

Ishmael

Quote from: ildu on Sat 31/12/2005 16:03:08
AGS, but it's open source.

AGS is not open source.

And Flash is not free.

kthxbai._.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Nikolas

So what kind of fee are we talking about to make AGS a game engine for the world?Ã, 
If I'm not mistaken AGS is for the world.

Now, if I understand correctly you want to use AGS to make money! That's wonderfull! There's no problem with that. There is a license fee when making money with AGS talk to CJ about that! There have been commercial games made with AGS before. Somehow they sorted out the financial issues. Do so!

But I'm not sure I follow you completely! I mean, you have writters, musicians, photographers, etc... why not just find a couple of programmers to make a taylor made program for you?

m0ds

If you sell an AGS game using the AGS engine with the built in MP3 player you might be sued. I beleive theres an MP3 playing free version (you have to resort to oggs) of the engine available for those who consider commercial projects.

Squinky

Quote from: Nikolas on Sat 31/12/2005 16:40:56
So what kind of fee are we talking about to make AGS a game engine for the world? 
There is a license fee when making money with AGS talk to CJ about that! There have been commercial games made with AGS before. Somehow they sorted out the financial issues. Do so!

Say what? Thats new to me...

Mr Flibble

Chris... what I'm asking is... I have photographers...

:=
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

m0ds

An MP3 license, Squinky.

Squinky

But, there is a specific version (or was) that had ogg support. An MP3 license would be crazy expensive....And I don't think Nik was talking about that...

ildu

Quote from: Ishmael on Sat 31/12/2005 16:06:17AGS is not open source.

And Flash is not free.

I didn't know it's not open source. I thought you could alter it as you wished.

And maybe the Flash program costs money, but the license, which would be the most expensive part in a project with a licensed engine, doesn't cost anything. And that was what I meant. In most projects the cost of the program itself is minuscule compared to the rights. And obviously this guy has some money to invest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk