AGS Suitable for Multiplayer?

Started by , Wed 18/01/2006 21:38:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonno

First off, I'm new to this forum, so appologies if the question I'm about to ask has been asked many times before  :)

I was just wondering if AGS was yet suitable for multiplayer use?  I've got all these good ideas for a mini MMORPG using a Sierra style GUI and battle system, but the only thing I've discovered on here that's got anything to do with multiplayer is the TCP/IP plug-in, and from what I've seen a-v-o has stopped working on it.

I know it's a big step to start with, but I want to find out if it is at all possible to use AGS to produce online games?

scotch

Technically yes it can be done with the tcp/ip plugin, but practically I don't think it is a good idea, and never will be.  AGS simply isn't designed for more than one player, everything assumes one player character at a time, located in one room.  You need some very complicated scripting to make it work for extra players.  SSH, one of the best AGS scripters has made a multiplayer game with it, but only for two players, and I believe he hit a lot of problems with the tcp/ip plugin.

strazer

Thank you, scotch.

Everybody, please continue any non-technical discussions about this topic in this thread in the Popular Threads archive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk