Favourite Songs of 2005

Started by Meowster, Thu 05/01/2006 17:01:31

Previous topic - Next topic

big brother

- Anything by Grateful Dead (esp the 70s concerts. Notables include: The Other One, Me and My Uncle, Samson and Delilah, Hard to Handle)

- The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East

- Jimi Hendrix - Catfish Blues (cover)

- Any live Cream songs plus Derek and the Dominoes

- A few Bad Religion songs (Do What You Want, You, Better Off Dead, Along the Way, Walk Away, Don't Pray on Me)

- Camel - Lady Fantasy

- Citizen Cope - Son's Gonna Rise (this one probably doesn't belong on the list, but it's a good song)
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Las Naranjas

I have to say that Hendrix had a very lean year in 2005 and I'd be hard pressed to name any of his releases.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

ManicMatt

dude, read the first line of this thread:  8)

"I don't mean 'what were your favourite songs that were released in 2005'. I mean, what songs make you look back on that year, on the bad things and the good things."

milkanannan

we started living in an old house
my ma gave birth and we were checking it out
it was a baby boy
so we bought him a toy
it was a ray gun
the year was 1981
etc etc

white stripes rule

Pumaman

My two anti-nominations would have to be:
* The campsite song (as mentioned by Petteri), and
* The Scrubs theme tune
for the dubious honour of getting stuck in my head for ages and driving me insane as a result.

Other than that, my life isn't set to music, so I can't really supply anything of interest  :P

Meowster

LimpingFish

Me a idiot? That unpossible! :-*

And get your own memories instead of  trying to feed off everybody elses! :P
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Grapefruitologist

I've got a lot of favorite songs from 2005, but none really bring back memories or anything... like you said they have to be.
(\ _ /)
(o.o )
(>< )
This is Bunny
Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIO2qpSsUTA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-p7xaeYes

Damien

I've got a few:

Muse - Megalomania
Muse - Screenager
Muse - Falling Away With You
Dream Theater - Learning To Live
Dream Theater - The Spirit Carries On
Dream Theater - Eve
Soundgarden - 4th of July
Soundgarden - Searching With My Good Eye Closed
Tool - Pushit (Salival)
Tool - Lateralus
Tool - Jimmy
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Jeff Buckley - Lover, You Should've Come Over
Jeff Buckley - Jewel Box

Meowster

I suppose that they remind you of what a stupid fucking cunt you are, you stupid fucking cunt?

Helm

Yeah they do. I really am a stupid fucking cunt.
WINTERKILL

ManicMatt

Actually, no, this song reminds me that they're fucking cunts:

Mclusky:

GARETH BROWN SAYS: (song title)

"All of your friends are cunts..."

(You guys can tell I'm joking, I hope)

Damien

QuoteI suppose that they remind you of what a stupid fucking cunt you are, you stupid fucking cunt?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No.

TheYak

Hmm, shock value or vaguely-placed venom?

Spending most of my music listening on the road, it consists of a lot of loud punk music. 

Pennywise's Land of the Free has appealed to my cynical side recently

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is my regular attention-grabbing staple

Anything from Bela Fleck has had the lion's share of my off-work attention

I'm obviously out of touch not having heard of half the groups mentioned.

Damien

Ok, here goes. They are just the songs I've been listening the most the last year (and earlier) and that I always keep returning to. Although most of them aren't connected to a specific event, they give me some familliar feeling in my guts followed by goosebumps on my skin.

4th of july - the date my grandfather died
Spirit carries on - find the lyrics and you'll see the connection.

GEE, I HOPE I DIDN'T OFFEND ANYONE....

...AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

auhsor

I like your taste in music Damien. Dream Theater and Jeff Buckley are my favourite artists. I also like Muse alot.

For albums released this year my top 5 in order are:
Dream Theater - Octavarium
For the (24 minute long!) title track alone makes this a great CD, but the rest of the album realy showcases the talents and influences of the band with them using many different styles. These styles range from U2 sounding stuff to Muse, and then more metal kinda stuff, as well as progressive.
Emmett Tinley - Attic Faith
A little known irish artist that I really like released his long awaited solo album finally this year and it is really quite good. He has a voice a bit like Jeff Buckley's but sings more acoustic songs.
Coldplay - X&Y
A good album, but not as great as I was hoping. Has some really stand out tracks such as 'Fix You', 'Til Kingdom Come' and 'Twisted Logic' (as well as a b side 'How You See The World' which is great).
Wolfmother - Wolfmother
I've only heard about 5 of the songs on the radio, but they are a great new band.
Audioslave - Out of Exile
Not as good as their first album, but still has some good songs such as 'Doesn't Remind Me', 'Dandelion' and 'Your Time Has Come'

Kinoko

Jesus christ, Yutzster o_o I read the second page where you call everyone a cunt and had to read the first one to see why. I still don't get it!

I think this topic is just way too specific for most people to answer it the way you want. People want to talk about their favourite songs or albums of 2005 but I don't think many people necessarilly have had the kind of year that could be defined by song. I certainly haven't.

I can say 2005 reminds me of Maia Hi song (O-zone - Dragostae Din Tei (spelling?)) because it was played, and is still played, like crazy over here in Japan. The songs I personally listened to were mostly what I listened to last year, with some new additions like Scissor Sisters and a good helping of ACDC.

If I had to pick a song which reminded me of my 2005 experiences, the lyrics would have to be something like;

Well, I packed up and moved to Japan for sometime,
I got some money and bought stuff,
Sometimes I went to places and I met a couple of new friends,
Lots of time (time, time) spend on the internet.

I didn't run in fields of flowers, or fall in love. I didn't experience the tragic loss of a loved one, and I think in all honesty, I'll be hard pressed to remember that the year I went to Japan was 2005. I'll be like, "Yeah, I went to Japan once... when WAS that? Around the early 2000's anyway".

My answer is O-zone though. I guess I drank a fair bit, and played a lot of UFO catcher machines, so this somes it up fairly well:

Damien

QuoteAudioslave - Out of Exile
Not as good as their first album, but still has some good songs such as 'Doesn't Remind Me', 'Dandelion' and 'Your Time Has Come'
Ah yes, Audioslave. #1 Zero and The Curse are my favourite tracks from the new album. No special feeling connected to them, tho.

Paper Carnival

Well, the following aren't necessarily my favourite songs, but they are my favourites that were released in 2005. In no particular order:

Crimson King by Demons & Wizards
Wicked Witch by Demons & Wizards
Dorian by Demons & Wizards
Cryptic Passages by Divinefire
The Spirit by Divinefire
Emotions Of A Picture by Majestic Vanguard
Beyond the Moon by Majestic Vanguard
Tears in Neverland by Majestic Vanguard

I doubt anyone else knows about those bands (except maybe Demons & Wizards), has anyone else heard of them?

ManicMatt

Maybe demons and wizards.. maybe!

They sound like doom metal bands, or maybe something like cathedral/autopsy?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk