Favourite Songs of 2005

Started by Meowster, Thu 05/01/2006 17:01:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Meowster

I don't mean 'what were your favourite songs that were released in 2005'. I mean, what songs make you look back on that year, on the bad things and the good things. What songs make you remember how the summer smelled, or how you felt the first time you met somebody? Please try to not mention Westlife and Girls Aloud... if their songs are part of the anthem of your life, you're probably better off dead.

Mine would be:

Sweet Song by Blur
Wild Horses by Rolling Stones
Sway by Bic Runga
Across the Sea by Weezer
Oh Yeah by Ash
Dare by Gorillaz
Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz
Park Life (entire album) by Blur

The first four are your average love song things that remind me of my boyfriend. The last three remind me of the summer I spent working in Brighton. I'd listen to those songs every day as I walked to work. Oh Yeah was particularly awesome since the lyrics were relevant :)

On warm June evenings
She would come to my house
Still in her school skirt
And her summer blouse
Talking too long as the night came on
It was the best time of my life
Her bee stung lips,
Kisses sweeter than wine
The things she whispered
With breathless sighs
The summer air was soft and warm
Her eyes were making silent demands
And as her hair came undone in my hands

Oh Yeah she was taking me over
Oh Yeah it was the start of the summer

Driving her home after midnight
I felt so good everything was alright
Her thoughts seemed so lost in the night sky
I remember everything
I don't know why these things ever end
I sometimes wish it was that summer again
I still see her in my sleep
And hear the sighing of the summer wind
Still I don't regret one thing

During the summer it made me feel happy but now it makes me feel a little bit sad and lonely. :) :) :) :( :)

Obviously Park Life rules.

My boyfriend had scaffolding around his house at the time, which ruled, because it meant that on the weekends (when the builders were gone) you could climb out of the window and sun yourself on a little scaffolding balcony. Dare reminds me of sitting on that balcony with him and some friends, and literally not being able to move for the heat. I couldn't even reach for my G&T. It also reminds me of walking to work every morning... sometimes in searing heat, sweating up the massive fucking hill, and sometimes in the cold and rain.

They were the songs that rocked my world last year. What about you?

Pumaman

I'd have to nominate:

You Raise Me Up by Westlife -- because of its potential to wind up Yufster
Biology by Girls Aloud -- because of the same.

Meowster

Indie Boy

Great Escape-We Are Scientists
Do you want to-Franz Ferdinand
22grand job-The Rakes(just for the video)
All the best songs to listen to around you're mates
I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

HillBilly

Krosstika by GWAR
Penguin Attack by GWAR
Bring Back the Bomb by GWAR
Why Does this Always Happen to Me? by Weird Al Yankovic
One of Those Days by Weird Al Yankovic
Frank's 2000" TV by Weird Al Yankovic
Water Lou by Spike Jones and his City Slickers
You're a Sap Mister Jap! by Spike Jones and his City Slickers
Popcorn Sack by Spike Jones and his City Slickers

Reaganator comes as a bonus, because of the deep lyrics:

The Reaganator and the U.S.A! We'll kill anything that gets in our way!
We're the good guys, so you have to die, that's why!
Nuclear grenade launchers to slaughter by the millions,
GPS-lock targeting that only kill civilians,
A mangling mass of mutant flesh and steel and bone and wire,
Impressive in it's creation, but still, it's got Alzheimers!

Pet Terry

The army:
Pelimies by Martti Vainaa & Sallitut Aineet. (oh, whoops. This ISN'T one of my favourite songs anymore, because it was played in radio ALL THE TIME. I did like it though when it was fresh, before they began playing it in radio.)
B.Y.O.B. by System of a Down.

I hear those two songs many times in the army.

Mittens:
This one (anyone recognize it yet?). :P
Could you be loved? by Bob Marley.

The only songs I recognize that were played at the campsite. Oh, Bad Boys too.

Other stuff:
Every song by The Advantage. Most listened band of 2005 for me, I guess.
Cutsman by HORSE the Band. Another band I discovered in 2005, and I fell in love with this song.
Pumpkin Pie, Word Disassociation, Lawnmower, Ebaum's World dot Com, The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny by Lemon Demon. My favourite Lemon Demon songs of 2005. So many good memories.
Julie & Candy by Boards of Canada. This song was once featured in an AGS game (or rather the demo of it). One of the songs that I listened to a lot during the summer.
Fire Coming Out of the Monkey's Head by Gorillaz.
2015: Cascades of Sound and Light splintering the shadows of your waking conciousness (v8) by Wrexsoul. Hehe, weird story behind this one. I was in the bus, on the way to Mittens. I fell asleep and woke up later, with this song playing on my mp3-player. It was raining outside, too. It was quite a strange feeling, I don't know why though. o_O Actually, many of the songs mentioned were in my mp3-player and I listened to them in the bus.

Christmas:
Wizards in Winter, Anno Domine by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Linus and Lucy by A Vince Guaraldi Trio.

Songs I listened to a lot during the Christmas time.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

LimpingFish

Summer 2005 dominated by Rei Momo (entire album) by David Byrne.

Salsa-tastic!!!   :)

And Feelings (entire album), also by David Byrne, in particular the song "Miss America":

"And I kissed America, when she was fleecing me
She knows I understand that she needs to be free
And I miss America and sometimes she does too
And sometimes I think of her
When she is fu*king you"

:P
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

ManicMatt

For me, 2005 was the year where I got a computer and went online, and ordered off Amazon loads of albums that I just couldn't get/order in the shops.  :D

And Mew's album. (My PC dvd drive went on the blink and I had Mew and Franz on my mp3 player for about a month.)

voh

Evil by Interpol. Even though the album it resides on is from september 2004, I didn't hear the song until I saw it on TV (with that amazing video) somewhere in february 2005. I've been listening to this song for so long, and I love it so much I can listen to it an entire day without any other songs. And even now, almost a year later, I still have days on which I only listen to that song.

Every day I love you less and less by the Kaiser Chiefs. I heard this song in my local club, and I've become quite obsessed by the song. The pre-chorus, the bit that goes "I know, I feel it in my bones, I'm sick and tired of staying in control" etc. just feels so... Nightmare before Christmassy, that I couldn't help but like the song.

Tripping by Robbie Williams. No explanation, I just like the song a lot.

Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo by the Bloodhound Gang. Though they suck a lot live, this song is amazingly easy to learn how to play/sing and is a lot of fun. Can't help it :)
Still here.

Akumayo

All songs from the Hypnotize/Mesmerize set...... I can't pick just a few, I like them all...
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

xenogia

Dream Theater - Octavarium
Freak Kitchen - Organic
Infected Mushroom - I'm The Supervisor
Meshuggah - I

I prefer to go by albums rather the songs ... lol

Rincewind

Oh dear, oh dear... Songs of 2005... It's really too many to mention, but aw, crap, I'll give it a try.

- Akira Soundtrack - Kaneda
Always reminds me of those dark autumn nights, sitting on a bus/train looking out at the lights flashing by, much like they do in Akira when the piece is played....

- Bob Hund - F.ö stal hon mitt hjärta
This whole song represents all of my lovelife in 2005, basically... Heh. The title means something like "Btw, she stole my heart", and I suppose that says it all.

- Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Destroying Angels
- Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Black City Skyline
Also part of the "late-at-night-travel songs - Incredible hautning and moody, these doomy jazz-germans have been my saviours since I first heard them. Incredible. If you like, slow, instrumental and dark jazz, check them out.

- Depeche Mode - Shake the Disease
Myes, a bit of a love-related song here as well, if you've heard the lyrics you probably get the picture.

- Dungen - Panda
Oooh, this is bitterness to me. Total bitterness.

- Einstürzende Neubauten - Seele Brennt
Neubauten are brilliant in general, but something about "Seele Brennt" just captured a lot of my emotions at the time I first heard it. To me it was personal chaos and confusion.

- Fantômas - Page 29
Just a plain old "feel-gooder". Fantômas (and Mike Patton in general) is great, but the "Paroom-poom-paa" in Page 29 will always be something to cheer me up. :)

- Godspeed you black emperor! - The Dead Flag Blues
This song, andt he whole album that it's on, "F# A# (Infinity Symbol)" is just so cinematic and full of soundscapes, that I can't imagine not listening to it anymore. Brilliant album, and this song is perhaps the best late-night listening one can have if you're home all alone and feeling a bit down. It just takes you away. It sure did to me.

- Mr Bungle - Stubb (A Dubb)
Another Patton-related one - And yes, another "feel-good"-track. Represents, well, the first time I heard Mr Bungle. :) But definately not the last.

- Pontus & Amerikanerna - Godmorgon Columbus
Early 90's nostalgia. To the max. Found the 7" single in a local second hand shop, and was forced to buy it just for the fact that I hadn't heard this song since back in 1991 when it came out, and I was just a couple of years old... It was like childhood all over again when I heard it.

- U2 - New Years Day
Not too hard to imagine what this represents, is it? Yes, it represents, (surprise!) New Years Day and just those cold winter mornings in general, really. Going out and feeling your breath turn to ice inside your throat and thinking about that there's a whole new year ahead of you.

Evil

These songs either were on my playlists a lot or best descibe my personal events over the year.

California - Weezer/Matt Sharp
Haunt You Every Day - Weezer
Love Everybody - The Presidents of the United States of America
Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats
My Mathematical Mind - Spoon
Gunfight at the Zombie Mineshaft - The Metrolites
Commissioning a Symphony in C - Cake
Barrel of a Gun - Guster

Las Naranjas

Strangled by the Thought - The New Amsterdams.

No competition.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Meowster

Quote from: xenogia on Fri 06/01/2006 00:28:55
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Freak Kitchen - Organic
Infected Mushroom - I'm The Supervisor
Meshuggah - I

I prefer to go by albums rather the songs ... lol

Heh sometimes that is best, like with Park Life :)

Hey everybody, I wanted to know WHY they're your favourite songs and what it is that they remind you of, too :)

Timosity

Monster Skank - Infectious Grooves (easily the best song ever)

At the time, about 1993, was when I just couldn't get enough of the funky bass from the most brilliant bassist who now wastes his talent with metallica

Mezmerize & Hypnotize (SOAD) the last 2 albums I have actually bought  (the biggest scandle is that they both fit on 1 CD)

These 2 albums released this year are amazing, even people that hate heavy music can enjoy them, structurally they are works of art.

some people are drawn to this band by their political stance, but for me it's the syncopation, timing of their changes, and keys, that are just so irresistible. And the musical talent is there too

Meowster

...Hey everybody, I wanted to know WHY they're your favourite songs and what it is that they remind you of, too, SLIGHTLY IMPATIENT SMILEY FACE!

Ginny

Iris - Goo Goo Dolls. I just generally love this song, for a multitude of reasons.. It can remind me of other years, not just 2005, but 2005 was actually the year that I heard it again, after only hearing it once before, and not really paying attention, and this time it really hit the spot. It's not my favorite music style, but it fits in with the oh-so-perfect lyrics. I still know it by heart.

And all I can taste is this moment,
and all I can breathe is your life,
but sooner or later it's over,
I just don't want to miss you tonight.

And I don't want to world to see me,
cause I don't think that they'd understand,
when everything's made to be broken,
I just want you to know who I am.

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming,
or the moment of truth in your lies,
when everything feels like the movies,
Yeah, you bleed just to know you're alive.

Been a while since I recalled it. Thanks for reminding me. :) It does get me a bit sad though, but that's why I love it.

edit: Why I love it? Well, it almost perfectly applies to - some things - in my life... The last 2 lines I wrote down (when everything feels like the movies, yeah, you bleed just to know you're alive) I like a lot, but they're not as accurate in describing how I feel as all the other great lines.
All I can taste is this moment... *melts*

Btw, anyone know any other songs (Goo Goo Dolls or other) that have a similar topic/idea?
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

evenwolf

That one song by Coldplay that no one ever talks about.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Grapefruitologist

1. "Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson-Er, it just does.
2. "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson-You know I must love this song, because the game I'm going to try to make is kinda based on its music video-just, more destructive. xD
I would choose more right now, but it's early and I can't think of anything else from 2005.
(\ _ /)
(o.o )
(>< )
This is Bunny
Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIO2qpSsUTA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-p7xaeYes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk