The H:P Games (Harry Potter) - New art Style

Started by fentongames, Sat 21/01/2006 18:39:50

Previous topic - Next topic

fentongames

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. And this is the first game I've ever made with AGS. It's a fan remake of Harry Potters adventures at Hogwarts. The game is based on Chris Ushkos M:I-2: LeChucks Revenge (made in Klick and play), which can be found here
These games are alternate versions of JK Rowlings novels: Harry Potter. The same story, but a brand new twist. Join Harry as he picks up his gun, sunglasses, snazzy jacket and help of his two best freinds, Ron and Hermione. as they battle the forces of evil together.
The game will probably be rated PG for mild language and violence. Just thought I'd let you know.

- graphics 7%
- puzzles 15%
- scripting 20%
- music/sound 10%
- overall 13%
The first of these games is set for a mid 2006 release.

Screenshots:

As I said, this is the first game I ever made with AGS. So it probably won't be perfect. And if you don't like these images, tell me why.

If you like, you can register at my forum to talk about my game and some of my other projects (movies mainly) that I'm making.
The link is: http://fentonfilms.proboards78.com/
Time Kid, coming this summer.

Sean

You're original that much is obivious. Whether or not that is down to genius or madness is yet to be seen  ;D

Interesting concept that may work, very risky though. As a Harry Potter fan myself I doubt I'll be interested in the game simple because it's HP based. It's doesn't sound similar enough for me to like it on the basis of it being HP. That isn't neccessarily a bad thing it allows for you to create a new side to each character. I'm interested to see how the game develops.

Artwise I'm not so sure. The characters are too simple and the backgrounds lacking. Spend some more time on them and see if you can improve them. They lack depth in my opinion.

sergiocornaga

Harry Potter buying firearms? Sounds fun... and surprisingly similar to many commercial games based on movie licenses.

JimmyShelter

I don't get why you would use JK Rowling's characters if all you're gonna do is change them. Using guns?

If you want a gamein which kids use guns, make your own characters. If you want to make a Harry Potter game, try to stick to the spirit of the books.

fentongames

Quote from: JimmyShelter on Sun 22/01/2006 14:31:37
I don't get why you would use JK Rowling's characters if all you're gonna do is change them. Using guns?

If you want a gamein which kids use guns, make your own characters. If you want to make a Harry Potter game, try to stick to the spirit of the books.

I'm using some of my own original stuff in the game too. But the story is about 70% the same as the book. There'll be extra puzzles here and there. I love Harry Potter, and that's why I'm making these games.

Sean

I'd say drop the guns. Keep close to the original story. Brighten up and cartoonify/magicize the graphics and most importantly really work on the character models. If there's anything graphics wise that you simply must not cut corners with it's the character models. After all I as a player would be stareing at them for longer than anything else. Try getting photos or sketches of Harry Potter (Actor or Comic) and then drawing a base model from that. Your current sprites look flat and lifeless. Kind of like a 2D bit of paper thats been chucked on a nice background.

Good luck with it, I look forward to playing :)

Tom S. Fox

Yay!
M:I-2 - LeChuck's Revenge just kicked arse!
And if this game half as good an M:I-2, I'll love it!
The art is quite descent, I've seen way worse!

Quote from: Sean on Sun 22/01/2006 16:42:14
I'd say drop the guns. Keep close to the original story.
No way, man!
The fun is to take a unspoiled story and put in all the needless Hollywood-stuff!
That's how it was in M:I-2 - LeChuck's Revenge!

fentongames

I'll be using references to M:I-2 in the game. As well as references to many other movies and games.

Iv4n

Muhahaha. Nice. Except for the names, I don't see anything else related to H.P. But I understaand. Because these idiots from hogwarts don't allow harry to use magic when he's not at school, hary choose the non-magic way: to buy some guns! Lot's of them. Yeah, how original mheheh... I wonder who will be the first victim. Maybe his brother dudley? Draco? Yeah, I already imagine slow motion quidditch scenes, where harry chases his victim by shooting at him with his guns aehaehe... whatever.

JRock

Disregard what everyone has said!   Keep up what you are doing! 
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;)

fentongames

Thank you all who said good things about the game. And I just thought I'd say: A demo is coming soon! In the next week or couple of weeks maybe.

fentongames

As I get further into the game, I might be using voices in it, I'll be doing some voices, but I might have some difficulty with others. Like Hermione for instance, so I'll need some voice actors to help me soon. I'll search the forum and see if I can find some.

Mats Berglinn

For the voice actors, there are a lot of varies of actors but it's hard to find female voices, you can take it from me since I'm also looking for voices for my game Caribbean Mysteries. There is one good voice actress, Azure. Just PM a request to her and she might help out.

fentongames

Azure said that she will play the part, I'll send her the script when I'm ready.

fentongames

Okay, the demo is being completed as you read this post. I just thought I'd let you see this poster for the first game.

By the way: did I mention that each game has it's own original title? These titles aren't confirmed yet. So if anyone can think of any better ones, thank you.

Philosophers Stone = H:P and the Quest for the Diamond
Chamber of Secrets = H:P and the Cave of Doom
Prisoner of Azkaban = H:P and the Great Escape
Goblet of Fire = H:P and the Forces of Darkness

fentongames

Since some of you have been saying that my artwork is too simple, I have decided to try out a few styles and see which one works best.

Here's Harry in a cartoony MI3 kind of style.

Ubel

Actually I must say I like your former art style way more! :) That new Harry looks a bit too much like Neo from The Matrix in my opinion. Or is that intentional? :=

Good luck with the game though, it looks fun! :D

fentongames

The demo of the first game which is coming soon, will feature the current sprites and backgrounds I have already made. They are not necisserily how they are going to appear in the actual game. They will be improved.

By the way, If any story desigers could give me some cool ideas from movies, or alternate ways to solve the puzzles from the original books, that would be great!

Sean

Quote from: fentonfilms on Wed 08/02/2006 18:30:18
By the way, If any story desigers could give me some cool ideas from movies, or alternate ways to solve the puzzles from the original books, that would be great!

You should right down each 'Puzzle' from the book that you want to make. Then look over them and just 'play' until you have something. I'd say having the original puzzles written out is a must.

Afflict

I dont get it... Thats just me.

* A multi milllion if not billion dollar industry! That cannot produce a half decent computer game...
* And then a user that takes it a step further?

I dont get it?
But thats just me...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk