LOOM II

Started by , Wed 25/01/2006 14:01:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Theodosis

At last Bobbin Threadbare is back.

I tried to keep the same Look&Feel and the gameplay is exactly the same as in the original game.

visit the "Loom II" website

Download the demo
Alternative download

Nikolas

Yiay!

Bravo Theodosi.

Λατρεύω το Loom!

I juts hope your Greek...

The screenshots look a little strange though. A little blurry... But I'll download the demo first thing tomorrow and check it out...

Helli78

seems to be very interesting (i have NOT played Loom1 yet...)

but both links above are death....

Ashen

Try copy-pasting the link, instead of clicking.

Theodosis, you might want to host the screenshots in a different place to the demo file. Whenever your Geocities account exceeds it's bandwidth (like it has when I'm posting), they aren't visible. If you're going to get a lot of downloads, that means they'll hardly ever be there.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Khris

Quote from: Theodosis on Wed 25/01/2006 14:01:09I tried to keep the same Look&Feel and the gameplay is exactly the same as in the original game.
You've mixed (ripped) lo- and (comical) hires art...
And IIRC, interacting with objects was achieved by clicking on the closeup in the lower right, not by double-clicking things.

If Bobbin faces right, his staff flashes green when it shouldn't.

I don't wanna sound too harsh, but this isn't what I expected from LOOM 2, sorry.

JimmyShelter

The backgrounds look like scanned images from comic books to me...

Pet Terry

Quote from: khrismuc on Wed 25/01/2006 15:24:50
And IIRC, interacting with objects was achieved by clicking on the closeup in the lower right, not by double-clicking things.

You can interact by double-clicking things in the original Loom.

Both zip and rar are corrupted, I suggest you switch to better hosting.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Hammerite

is it based on the loom2 that lucasarts was planning for the trilogy but cancell'd?
if you dont know wot im on about then search round international house o' mojo
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Pet Terry

<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Helli78

big brother

Hmmm...Loom is a hard game to follow up. You're setting your sights pretty high. It's like making a fan sequel to Grim Fandango.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Totoro

Mmmh... well as you see people are much more critical or sceptical when you put your hand on some beloved classic. So I would like to ask: Have you made up a whole story of your Loom II? I mean more than just putting it on the few information about the Loom-triology out there on the net? A story from the beginning to the end for a whole game?

Theodosis

@DeepHitz  Thank you very much for hosting the file. As I uploaded to the geocities server I didn't count with bandwidth problems. I have already replaced both references.

@Nikolas  Γεια σου Νίκο. Yes, I am Greek.

@Petteri wrote:  You can interact by double-clicking things in the original Loom.
 ... as in this game too.

@*    I don't know what LucasArts was planning, I only know that the story didn't end sixteen years ago so that this demo is based on my vision about how the story continues.

Radiant

Sorry, but I don't like the way this is headed. Loom is one of the most atmospherical games ever, written by the sheer genius of Brian Moriarty. I don't think you, or indeed anyone, should be continuing his story without at least getting his input. Without that, it is next to impossible to remain faithful to the original plot.

For instance, in the few pages of intro you've already made several continuity errors...
*"Forbidding contact with ... another Guild"
*"Bobbin has been ... rejected by the Weavers since birth"
*"[Bobbin] began a long journey ... to prevent Chaos from taking over the pattern"
*"[the swans] have found a place to make a new pattern"

And worst of all, the introduction of Greek god of music Orpheus, which is very inappropriate in the universe of Loom.

While you're probably a competent designer, you are overreaching yourself in writing this game, and your time would be better spent writing something else that will be better received.

Nikolas

Well, after Radiants post, the whole Productions forum froze for half a day!

Well, I have to comment that I don't like people idolizing. It's not that Radiant did it, but generally I have to believe that there is more than 1 person that can continue a story, any story, and that there can be graphics in the style of CMI, but not because of that or because of following them...

I know that this could lead to a huge discussion, but I had to mention that.

My bet's that 90% LOOM II will be worst than what most people would want, but it seems that Theodosis has decided that he's willing to bet his time (at least on that).

Now what's wrong with the screenshots, theodosi? and any update could be nice...

PS. I hope I wasn't disrespectfull Radiant...

MalleTheRedPhoenix

I have to agree with Radiant. The background graphics don't fit with the sprites of LOOM. It would be better that he could work with someone together, who can make some backgrounds like these from LOOM.

Darth Mandarb

I agree that these screenshots and descriptions don't "feel" like Loom, however, this certainly shouldn't discourage you from continuing.

Quote from: Nikolas on Wed 01/02/2006 19:52:52I know that this could lead to a huge discussion, but I had to mention that.

Do not bring that discussion in here!

Actually ... leave over discussions of the graphics.  It's been said now and this isn't the CL!!

Dave Gilbert

Not bad! 

The main comment I have about the game is the graphical inconsistancy.  You have the pixelated Bobbin, the blurry backgrounds which look like they were scanned, and some various 3D bits lurking about.  Making everything consistant will go a long way to making it look more stream-lined.

Also, the pathfinding is just awful.  Bobbin never goes where I want him to, especially in that jungle room with the birds. 

Another spoilerish comment:
Spoiler

Why is Atropos the one Bobbin talks to?  Didn't Bobbin fly off with his mother as well?  Where is she?
[close]

All-in-all, you should be aware that you are leaving yourself open to a whole messload of criticism when you take on a beloved classic like this one.  In addition, Lucas Arts has not been known to look favorably on fan projects, so tread carefully.  Good luck!

Radiant

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 01/02/2006 23:46:45
Spoiler

Why is Atropos the one Bobbin talks to?  Didn't Bobbin fly off with his mother as well?  Where is she?
[close]

Spoiler

Good point. The last words in Loom are between Bobbin and Lady Cygna (and there's a lot less swans in the original "swarm" :) )  Also note that the Distaff actually belongs to Elder Atropos, and that he may want it back.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk