Spooks!

Started by The Ivy, Tue 14/02/2006 21:24:20

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ivy

Hello everyone, my game Spooks is now completed and ready to play!Ã,  ;D

What started out as a little MAGS game quickly took on an afterlife of its own, becoming an 8-month project and a totally original medium-length adventure.Ã,  Thanks to the support of everyone on the forums, I didn't give up after a hard drive crash and a few other setbacks along the way.Ã,  This is my first game, so I hope you all enjoy it.Ã,  :D

In the Land of the Dead, a day at the Carnage-Val usually means games, rides, and putting up with the rather defective employees.Ã,  However, for a little ghoul named Mortia, things are about to take a dive out of the ordinary.Ã,  When a smooth-talking skeleton convinces her to try a game of darts, she wins the most amazing prize she's ever seen: a live goldfish.

The moment before he disappears mysteriously, the skeleton tells Mortia that her fish won't stay "alive" for long if she doesn't help him.Ã,  So, naturally, Mortia names her new companion "Spooks" and sets out to find him someplace safe to be "alive," although she has no idea what that word means.Ã,  Little does she know that her task will take her from the Land of the Dead to places even more bizarre.

Here are some of the haunts in the Land of the Dead:

Features:

• Innovative use of colour (you'll see)
  • A classic point-and-click experience
  • A hilariously defective cast of characters
  • Hours of gameplay
  • Death
  • Destruction
  • Goldfish

Design, art, and writing by me, The Ivy.

Music and sound effects by The Scorposer

Scripting, debugging, and now hosting provided by the illustrious Vince Twelve.

Word to my beta testers Erenan, Fawfulhasfury, Mordalles, SteveMcCrea, and Venus.

Download Spooks now! (.rar)

Mirror (.zip)

Visit the Games Page!

Check out Vince Twelve's website: http://games.thexiis.com

Thanks once again to the AGS community, I couldn't have done it without you.Ã,  Enjoy, I really look forward to hearing what you have to say about the game.Ã,  :)

Cheers,

~The Ivy~

Psst...check out a game-related comic here. :)

Nikolas

YES!

The first to download, to post and to say Yeah!

Even the game is rather small! 4.88 Mb! Double Yeah!

Await more comments in the near future.

Nikolas

Pet Terry

Quote from: Nikolas on Tue 14/02/2006 21:46:28
The first to download

Hah, actually I downloaded as soon as I saw it added on the gamespage earlier today when no one else had downloaded it yet.

I already dropped a comment on the games page, so I'm just summing my opinions into one word:

AWESOME
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Totoro

Wow, congratulation The Ivy  :o
I loved those black and white screens from the beginning, so happy I can play it now. First impression is verrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice  :D

i k a r i

Wow..I was expecting worst graphics, great job man..
The main character is just great..and the story is very funny xD
The music is also fantastic..
Congratulations.

I've just solved the "Scary Go-Round" puzzle =D
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

The Scorposer

Ah, good to see it's been released! I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did :)

Nikolas

Yes, Chris (and The Ivy of course)...

At least I'm enjoying it very very much...

And I do have to add that I'm also enjoying very much the music, and I also detect the love you have for Danny...

Great game so far (though I'm stuck...)

scourge

Well, i just completed it and must say: A great game.

One thing, it took me about 40+ minutes to complete it? Hours of gameplay? I was dissapointed by that statement and wanted more!  ;D

I love the grey thing and the world is extremely well thought out. The entire concept is really good!! Well, IMO.

Vince Twelve

I just wanted to chime in that this is a gem of a game and I'm super proud to have been part of the team.  The last month and a half of working with Ivy, Scorposer, and the beta testers was a blast!  Congratulations Erin!  It's a fantastic first game (it's a fantastic game, period.) and hopefully the first of many!

Quote from: buloght on Tue 14/02/2006 23:10:00
One thing, it took me about 40+ minutes to complete it? Hours of gameplay? I was dissapointed by that statement and wanted more!  ;D

I believe that's marketing lingo for: "Hours of gameplay... if you get stuck for an hour."  I think that was based on one of the beta testers taking 3 hours to finish the first playthrough (because she got stuck on one puzzle for a long time).  :P

xenogia

Downloading now, I saw this game in the "Production" thread and it looked interesting

CodeJunkie

Amazing game, had my eye on it since the MAGS it was meant to be in.  I liked the music, and the scripting and testing's really good too, I didn't find anything to mention except for "greatful" instead of "grateful" somewhere in the ending.  As for 'hours of gameplay', it took me 2 hours since I was stuck several times, but the puzzles were logical enough that the game kept me going through one sitting.
Looking forward to more great releases in the future!

Barbarian

Wow! I'm really impressed. I can see there was a lot of work put into this project.
I've been playing this game for the last hour (not finished it yet though), anyways, I'm enjoying it. 
Everything seems just about perfect  for the style you created, and the "Black & White" look fits this game quite nicely. Graphics, story, characters, music... all fantastic and compliment each other so well.
   Will look forwards to any future projects you may work on.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Kweepa

Quote from: SimB on Wed 15/02/2006 02:22:53
testing's really good too, I didn't find anything to mention except for "greatful" instead of "grateful" somewhere in the ending.

Grr! That must be in the secret ending we testers weren't allowed to see! :=
Loved the game. The ending was like a beautiful flower acheiving full bloom.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Very nice first game.  I quite enjoyed it, and the puzzles were amusing.  Good work!

Erenan

Congrats on the game release! I love the bonus scene at the end, and everything's still great. But I have one small concern...

As much as I appreciate Luke Wilson's acting, my name is Luke Simpson. :o
The Bunker

edmundito

I just finished it, and it was quite a lovely experience. The craftmanship was excellent, and the story and characters were very intersesting. It really shows what teamwork can really do for ags.

Too bad the awards are just around the corner; hopefully this game won't be forgotten for next year's awards!
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

scourge

Oh, i forgot to mention one thing i wanted to say! The animation is exceptional!
expecially the part where ...
Spoiler

she exits the water
[close]

bluber

It's  unbelievable ! You stole my main character. Check it out here:

Unfinished

I couldn't finish my game without it  ;)

Good game ivy. Next time don't let me down.

ManicMatt

Just to let you know, I downloaded the game for safe keeping, to play whenever! I do look foward to playing it though! Looks sweet!

Afflict

Hey great game, Cant wait to see your others!
Well u used mspaint? Impressive!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk