Police Quest

Started by JNSlay, Wed 15/04/2009 14:20:28

Previous topic - Next topic

JNSlay

Quote from: poc301 on Thu 16/04/2009 17:23:49
One other thing you might want to think about is adding new, fresh, original content.  Some of the classic remakes out there have additional content added in just to spice things up.  Maybe some additional events, crimes to investigate, etc.  That might be really neat.

Also, if I might ask, other than just combining the games into 1 big game, is there any reason in particular you are doing this?  All the PQs except 2 already has the VGA versions out there..  Why not just do an upgrade/remake of PQ2?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for the tips/ideas

Adding new content is not currently on my priority list, but it is certainly a thought I have in my head, since the day I started with this.  I was thinking about maybe a bank robbery, hostage situation, some changes to original quests, etc. to bring in a bit of a twist from the original, but i want the main story to remain the same.  The game must have the same realistic feeling as the originals.

Why not just make a remake of PQ2?
First off, there is already a guy making a VGA version of PQ2.  (Although it seems that thread died in early 2006, nothing has been heard about this project since).
Secondly I thought it would be really nice to have all three games combined to have the whole Sonny Bonds story in one complete package, without having to run three different games. 
Thirdly, I did at first want to make only a PQ2 remake, but then I realized how easy it was to get all the art from PQ1 & 3 using SV.  I wanted to use PQ3's graphics, Sprites & Backgrounds to recreate PQ2, but then I thought, why not combine all three into one, since I already have all the art & backgrounds at my fingertips.
Finally, the location of the Police Department, Mall, Bert's Park, Jail, Courthouse, etc. are different in all three games, which seems to me to be a bit unrealistic.  I want to fix some of these technical issues.

I hope this answers your questions?

Kind Regards!

Moresco

This is a pretty cool idea - but to me it'd be way more awesome if you redrew everything to a new standard or style and combined the stories in that way.  But even then, there's nothing gained by smashing them all into one game file, why not just keep them broken up? 

The PQ2 remake you referenced from 2006 is long dead.  The only remake going that I know of is my Extended version.  I had toyed with the idea of making a Sierra style-VGA remake an extra in my game - but I don't know the extent of the game resources, there may not be room.  Regardless I've redrawn many of the backgrounds already in a painted style.

But I wish you luck in your game development - my suggestion ultimately would be to redraw the PQ2 backgrounds in Sierra style first, and then consider redoing the others as well.  Or hell, if you're really up to it, redo PQ1 in VGA but make the game feel closer to the original.  That would rock.  But if you're not an artist, that would probably be somewhat difficult a task.
::: Mastodon :::

JNSlay

Quote from: theRedPress on Fri 17/04/2009 04:45:48
But I wish you luck in your game development - my suggestion ultimately would be to redraw the PQ2 backgrounds in Sierra style first, and then consider redoing the others as well.  Or hell, if you're really up to it, redo PQ1 in VGA but make the game feel closer to the original.  That would rock.  But if you're not an artist, that would probably be somewhat difficult a task.

Hi thanks for the tips, and the heads up about your extended version, I also thought yours were not going to be released, I didn't know it was still in development, I don't want  to interfere with what you are already doing. 

The point is I am not an artist.  To get that backgrounds and Characters to look like yours will never happen, sadly I am  not that good with art.  If I could do it like that, then believe me I would have.

Almost all of the music for the game is also complete!
Here is a link to the Main Theme.

http://www.fileupyours.com/files/241842/Main%20Theme.mp3

Kind Regards!

edit by darth - combined double-post

Majin

Does anyone else think this whole thing is a little suspect? Not that it's not a valid idea. I love the Police Quest series and would love to see anyone's interpretation of it as a fan game/remake but I'm afraid just from the looks of things so far this project has striking similarities to the whole "Recruit team members to do all the work for me" kind of game.

Now don't get me wrong, the OP seems passionate about making this vision come true, but I can't ignore that post after post from him/her seems to make the statement that he/she is not very good at any of the skills needed to produce a competant game. (ie - case in point, this quote: "It will definitely be a lot easier if I can get some help with this project, e.g. Graphicswise, Animationwise, Soundwise and Scriptwise.") Isn't that everything that makes up a game? Besides the story of course, which the OP has admitted is just the script from the original game.

I may be wrong here, but my gut feeling is to not get my hopes up about this ever seeing the light of day in any acceptable completed form. :(

JNSlay

Quote from: Majin on Sun 19/04/2009 21:46:10
Does anyone else think this whole thing is a little suspect? Not that it's not a valid idea. I love the Police Quest series and would love to see anyone's interpretation of it as a fan game/remake but I'm afraid just from the looks of things so far this project has striking similarities to the whole "Recruit team members to do all the work for me" kind of game.

Now don't get me wrong, the OP seems passionate about making this vision come true, but I can't ignore that post after post from him/her seems to make the statement that he/she is not very good at any of the skills needed to produce a competant game. (ie - case in point, this quote: "It will definitely be a lot easier if I can get some help with this project, e.g. Graphicswise, Animationwise, Soundwise and Scriptwise.") Isn't that everything that makes up a game? Besides the story of course, which the OP has admitted is just the script from the original game.

I may be wrong here, but my gut feeling is to not get my hopes up about this ever seeing the light of day in any acceptable completed form. :(

Hi Majin

I am sorry if you feel this way.  All i said was help would be appreciated.  And I am more than willing to give others a chance to  help with this project.  The only help I am truly after is for the artwork.  I am not a good artist.  If I can find someoen who is willing to help me with the backgrounds and characters, only for a small part of the game, then I will put it all together and finish this project.  Part 1 and 3 are basically finished, since it uses all the art from the original PQ1 & 3.

The sound & music is no issue, but the artwork for the PQ2 part is what I am struggling with.  Most Character Animation for PQ2 part can be taken from what I've already got for the other parts, so I just need someone to help me with the backgrounds/areas for PQ2. 

I've just completed the Car Interiors.  Check out this site and tell me what you think. :)
http://www.4shared.com/dir/14688041/886541bd/Graphics.html

I am done with all the background art for the first & third parts of the game.  I will upload the images as soon as possible.  I am currently working on the second part backgrounds.

Cheers Yall!

krishaw

It sounds very interesting. Ambitious but ambition is what resulted in the lightbulb, the car and the internet (and Diana's death but let's not go there). I like the look of the sharpened graphics. Are you using a text parser in game?
* *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* End of Cheese Error
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Can Not Find Drive Z:
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Unknown Application Error
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Please Reboot Universe
    * *Blip* *Blip* *Blip* Year Of The Sloth *Blip* *Blip* *Blip*
    * ++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

SuperDre

I also warned the other fellow who is working on PQ2 extended edition, the people who own the sierra games now aren't going to let you publish the work on the internet, especially the way you've done it (ripping their artwork and continue work on it). So think before you start all the work on a remake you cannot publish..
Just create your own game, and keep away from ripping artwork (without any alteration) of commercial games..

xenogia

SuperDre can you post a link showing this?

edit:
Seems SuperDre that this has been going on since 2005, so honestly just keep going with it.  Even if they asked to be removed.  The game will still float around on the internet no matter what.  I found this little article at fangames.co.uk

Once again, the Vivendi Legal team has worked out how to use their email. And has ordered yet another team to Cease and Decist the production of their fan game.

The team behind the up coming Space Quest 3 remake, whos website, used to be found here, apparantly recieved the letter today and has been forced to remove all traces of their website and their game from the internet.

In a time that many a hailing 'The worst time in fangaming history', or rather 'Teh Suxx0rs', we can only wait and see, who shall be the next to fall foul of these evil coorporations. No, I'm not biased.

Thats 3 C&Ds in just 4 days in case I'm the only one counting.

And so, speculation mounts once again. Why are so many games being shut down lately, when extremely few, if any cease and decist orders have been issued in the past few years? Lucasarts has in fact, in recent years encouraged fan made creations and mods for games like the recent Starwars Fan Films. It seems unlikely that they are planning on bringing these old licenses back to life after so many years.

Once again, we shall have to wait and see what happens next. Lets just hope that 'what happens next' is not more C&Ds, but Vivendi still has a lot of games left to shut down. Over the years, many of their classics have been remade, and sequals produced, and there are still many in production, it is anyones guess who shall be next.

UPDATE: In a recent turn of events, it turns out that Vivendi did not order the Space Quest team to cease and decist. The team merely used bad feeling towards the company, over the shut down of the upcoming KQIV, to get out of making their own game.

Most people seem to agree that this was the wrong decision to make, but there is no major bad feeling towards the team. Most adventure game developers would agree that it is a long and arduous task, daunting to anyone. It is of course the teams decision to stop making the game, but a slightly spineless get out? Who knows?

And this was from 2005

SuperDre

Quote from: Xenogia on Tue 28/04/2009 03:54:23
SuperDre can you post a link showing this?

edit:
Seems SuperDre that this has been going on since 2005, so honestly just keep going with it.  Even if they asked to be removed.  The game will still float around on the internet no matter what.  I found this little article at fangames.co.uk

The fact they still sell PQ1-4 as a pack already suggests it isn't 'freeware' or 'abandoneware'.. just saying 'oh but other people did it as well' isn't a good reason.. Why even try to get into trouble, if you can be more original and create your own game.. especially when you are just ripping the graphix from the original, at least the guys of AGDI did their own graphix, and that's why they propably were in to less trouble...
If you only did remake PQ2 (as the other person on these forums) with your own graphix then it propably wouldn't be that much of a problem, but as done here by ripping the graphix from 2 games is just plain lame.

xenogia

Understandable, for myself I only use 3rd-party sprites as a basis, and alter them a lot.  So used as a template per se.  But I am not making a fan game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk