The Forgotten Element - NEW SCREENSHOT (Rain effects and new Town pic)

Started by lemmy101, Mon 20/02/2006 13:30:41

Previous topic - Next topic

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

Quote from: CaptainBinky on Fri 02/06/2006 11:25:05
Quote from: lemmy101 on Fri 02/06/2006 10:54:20
If providing all our backgrounds and sprites will result in more point-and-click games being made then it's well worth it. Hell, if someone actually used one of our actual story characters in their game that would be awesome...

One of the things we'd like to do when we finish the game is to provide additional animations for some of the more minor characters, like pick up, push, pull, open, close etc even though we don't need them so that even a minor character in our game could be a main (or even the player) character in someone else's game. Obviously our player character (Mia) may not be that appropriate for someone else's game (nurse's costume etc).

Also, we will provide the backgrounds in PSD format (as well as bitmap) so that the backgrounds can be dissassembled, rejigged, and made appropriate for another game (move that tree there, but that building over there, remove that object etc).

Quote from: Yurina-chan
I wish all artists had this kind of attitude. It's very hard to find some decent free sprites for games which are of such quality.

That's exactly why we're doing it. If they were only used as reference for paining over that would be great, but the option is there to use them as-is. We want to help other indie developers as much as possible, hence the plugins, tools, sprites, backgrounds. We feel this is very much in the spirit Chris Jones has started with all the work he has done on a completely free adventure creator. In fact, were it not for CJ, we may have never have been inspired to give all this stuff away, so kudos to him!

You guys rock!

~Yurina
Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

CaptainBinky

Hello!

Long time, no hear! I thought I'd better just give a bit of a head's up with regard to where we're at just in case anybody thought that this had died, and anyone actually cared. Who knows?

So... The Conversation Engine that we're developing is coming along nicely (the editor's not finished yet, so we're typing all this in to XML files (which actually is a lot less painful than you might imagine) and it works a treat! All the parts of the prologue that were playable before have been converted to this new system, but because of our Conversation Engine, we've gained much more natural dialogue than we had before, plus our characters now animate and react during conversations rather than just playing a looping "talking" animation. This looks pretty cool (in my opinion).

There's still a fair amount of sprites and backgrounds to complete, but with placeholder graphics in, the whole prologue is pretty much playable so we're still on schedule for a 2006 release (with development on subsequent acts being significantly faster due to amount of work we've had to do to get the prologue going :D )

We haven't released any new screenshots for a while mostly because we want to save a lot of this material for the game, rather than spoil it by showing too much now. However, we have some pre-release material ready to go once we're confident what the final final release date will be, so stay tuned!

Cheers,

CaptainBinky

P.S. Thanks Yurina!  :D

A Lemmy & Binky Production

TastyCrisp

Good to hear things are still progressing. This is another adventure game im eagerly awaiting to have a good ole go at. Just hope the story matches the great artwork! :D
http://killabunnies.photofools.com - Art,Wallpapers and Profilioish stuff..oh and Killa Bunnies!

lemmy101

Quote from: TastyCrisp on Tue 18/07/2006 13:26:36
Good to hear things are still progressing. This is another adventure game I'm eagerly awaiting to have a good ole go at. Just hope the story matches the great artwork! :D

Thanks TastyCrisp! :D

We'd like to think so :) We've been developing the story for the past couple of years, long before we even discovered AGS, or decided to do a point-and-click, we have quite a substantial mythology, history and social structure of the island we've set it on. We like to think the story betters the artwork, but of course you will need to be the judge of that :)

I would say more time, all in all, has gone into the story than anything else at present... though there's a LOT of art in the game so when it's finished it will clearly be the art that's taken most of the time :)

TastyCrisp

Well it all sounds rather awesome :) will look forward to reading more updates as they come!
http://killabunnies.photofools.com - Art,Wallpapers and Profilioish stuff..oh and Killa Bunnies!

Quote from: lemmy101 on Tue 18/07/2006 13:51:58
I would say more time, all in all, has gone into the story than anything else at present... though there's a LOT of art in the game so when it's finished it will clearly be the art that's taken most of the time :)

I agree. Art and story design take most of the time. It depends on the game what'll take more time of those two.

I'm glad this game is not stopped, it's on my "wanted"-list of AGS games... :P
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

lemmy101

Quote from: Yurina-chan on Tue 18/07/2006 15:48:00
I agree. Art and story design take most of the time. It depends on the game what'll take more time of those two.

Of course, the difference is when it comes to the story the most it involves is sitting there on the sofa and excitedly rambling on about ideas and have a few drinks... doing the art involves hours and hours of staring at DPaint/Photoshop :D

Thanks Yurina! :) And you're on my "wanted" list of Forgotten Element players :D

Quote from: lemmy101 on Tue 18/07/2006 15:52:59

Of course, the difference is when it comes to the story the most it involves is sitting there on the sofa and excitedly rambling on about ideas and have a few drinks... doing the art involves hours and hours of staring at DPaint/Photoshop :D

That depends per artist. Myself, I make less detailed sprites (tiled ones) so that makes a difference too.

Quote from: lemmy101 on Tue 18/07/2006 15:52:59

Thanks Yurina! :) And you're on my "wanted" list of Forgotten Element players :D

How come? I'm really curious about that... :P
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

lemmy101

Quote from: Yurina-chan on Tue 18/07/2006 15:55:38

1. You've been continually supportive of the project and helped keep Binky and myself enthused to continue making our game.

2. Given all the "controversy" surrounding *that* picture (You'd think it was the cartoon of Mohammed!) it'll be interesting (and probably theraputic ;)) to see what a woman's reaction to the finished game was :)

Quote from: lemmy101 on Tue 18/07/2006 16:00:04
Quote from: Yurina-chan on Tue 18/07/2006 15:55:38

1. You've been continually supportive of the project and helped keep Binky and myself enthused to continue making our game.

2. Given all the "controversy" surrounding *that* picture (You'd think it was the cartoon of Mohammed!) it'll be interesting to see a woman's reaction to the game :)

Thanks!

Really, I didn't know I was this important... I really like the idea that I supported you so much! ^.^

~Yurina
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

lemmy101

hehe don't get too big a big head about it though Yurina;) but your support, as well as everyone else's is much appreciated and has helped a lot to keep us going (it's turned into quite a gargantuan project as time's gone on lol :S)

Though I have to say the "You guys rock" comment put you eternally on our good side ;D hehe

m0ds

When is Nik going to start composing, producing, directing, editing, proof-reading & baking the music? :)

lemmy101

Quote from: m0ds on Tue 18/07/2006 16:24:50
When is Nik going to start composing, producing, directing, editing, proof-reading & baking the music? :)

He's coming up to see us this weekend as it goes, and will get his first copy of the prologue to start scripting music into! :D

Go Nikolas!!! WOOO!!!!

Quote from: lemmy101 on Tue 18/07/2006 16:08:13
hehe don't get too big a big head about it though Yurina;)

If someone needs a big head it's me, I assure you (low self-respect... :()

Quote from: lemmy101 on Tue 18/07/2006 16:08:13
Though I have to say the "You guys rock" comment put you eternally on our good side ;D hehe

;D

Yurina
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

Nikolas

Quote from: m0ds on Tue 18/07/2006 16:24:50
What????? I only signed up to compose, produce and direct not edit-proof-read-back the music. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

From the inside view of someone who knows what's going on in the game (and awaiting really really impatiently to come the day to have drinks and discuss everything in detail with the guys) I have to say that this game, added to everything else mentioed in the posts before has a lot of 'backbone story' which for me is really important and makes me even more happy to be a part of this game :)

Hendroz

Kudos to the guy who painted the girly closeup, she reminds me of Keeley Hazell or some other babe.  8)
I know this has been argued over and over before, however this led me to "stare" more than necessary on that picture.  :o

(Gosh, I feel like I'm criticizing Mona Lisa here.)
I really couldn't stand the shadow on the leftmost bobby, so I ended up doing a fast and dirty editing. While being at it, I also streched the rightmost baby which was sort of crooked, like Afflict pointed out in his post.
As you can see, I have little to no knowledge about graphics (though I have some knowledge in boobs), but this way *they* seem more natural to me (before and after pic follows):

...this has most likely something to do with my distorted "sense of aesthetics", so feel free to forgive my post altogether.  ;D

My best wishes for your game.  ;)

CaptainBinky

No probs, HM :D

The graphics we've released are slightly changed in the version you will play, because all of this stuff is work-in-progress up untill the point that we've finished.

Rest assured, I've editted that particular image since posting it - and your comments are most welcome!

Cap'n Binky

A Lemmy & Binky Production

Sheepisher

Hey Lemmy, Captain Binky,

Great to hear that work is still progressing on "Forgotten Element"!  Of course it's entirely understandable how long it's taking, what with the enormous effort that everyone is clearly putting in, and from what we've seen so far, the wait is definitely going to be worth it!

Very much looking forward to a 2006 release date for the first act!  Hurrah!

Best of luck!
"Like a balloon and ... something bad happens!"

deadsuperhero

This game looks great. I wish you the best on your project.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

ZZjZmoz

This game has to be the 'natural' choice for any consumer. *wink* *wink* The dynamic 'curves' of this game are a sight to be-'hold.' *snicker* *wink* *snicker* And best of all, the main character has 'real big tits'. *snicker* *wink*

But seriously, she looks really good...
I mean the game... looks really good, as a hot person - game... GAME!!!

Keep up the good, erm, work  ;)

Released Late August 2007

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk