Herman Toothrot's MONKEY ISLAND - Babar joins the team!

Started by Chicky, Tue 21/02/2006 21:03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mordalles

i like the look of it, but it seems you just copied/traced mostly silhouette's of monkey island 1 backgrounds. if you didn't, then I'm impressed.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Kweepa

Quote from: Mordalles on Wed 22/02/2006 19:40:04
it seems you just copied/traced mostly silhouette's of monkey island 1 backgrounds.

WHAT? Stone him!
This is worse than Gandalf-gate!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Chicky

Trace? Never!

Some of the images i used as referance, afterall i need people to recognise them to deliver the nostalgia. But i honestly see no point in simply tracing them.

And i'll keep your point in mind BigBro, for the moment the current colours arn't too eye gourging. I will change the main char tho  :)

thanks for the comments guys!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Actually, I'm leaning towards agreeing with Big Brother on the color scheme- not the dark red for the character, but the background colors definitely look more lively in creme and green or something like that.  Project sounds really good at any rate!

Looks interesting in the gameboy yellows

edmundito

Not critic's lounge but... though I liked the orange look, progzmax and bb have a point. I think by lowering the saturation of what was orange it definitely enhances the contrast between toothroot and the jungle.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

DanClarke

Couldnt there be some way of being able to choose your colour scheme in game seeing as it's really a matter of preference?

Snarky

In 8 bit (and really, why would you need more than 8 bit for a game like this) color, that would definitely be possible. Would be a cool feature, too.

Kinoko

Chicky, it looks fantastic!!

I LOVE the concept, I love the art style, I love the story. This is going on my List ^_^

I must also commend you for taking the same stance as myself on the continuity of the MI games. The only proper MI games are the first 2. CMI and 4 might as well be fan games. Stay true to the first 2 games, and you'll have my love and admiration.

Sam.

I really like the concept of this game, but it sucks that you'reonly using two colours. I mean, when in real life do you ever see two colours? Iv done a paintover to show you how i would do it, in a more realistic style.

You dont need tothanks me, just put me in the the credits as like, lead designer or something. Nothing to fancy though.

Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Chicky

Snarky

Hey Chicky,

I order to be able to modify the three colors at will, you have to make the game in 256 colors (8-bit). Then you set three of the colors in the palette to the default colors of your game and import your backgrounds and sprites.

Now, in order to modify the colors in-game, you have to change the palette. Look up SetPalRGB and UpdatePalette in the manual.

CaptainBinky

Yeah! And you could colour cycle Zooty's pal 60 times a second! That'd be cool!

A Lemmy & Binky Production

scourge

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 23/02/2006 14:17:39
Hey Chicky,

I order to be able to modify the three colors at will, you have to make the game in 256 colors (8-bit). Then you set three of the colors in the palette to the default colors of your game and import your backgrounds and sprites.

Now, in order to modify the colors in-game, you have to change the palette. Look up SetPalRGB and UpdatePalette in the manual.

That would be cool! Then the player could choose any three colours he/she likes to play the game in :)

DanClarke

Quote from: buloght on Thu 23/02/2006 20:43:03
Quote from: Snarky on Thu 23/02/2006 14:17:39
Hey Chicky,

That would be cool! Then the player could choose any three colours he/she likes to play the game in :)

I'm getting deja vu....

Nickenstien

;D

This is an awesome game idea Chicky!!

I cant wait for this one!

Also, I would just like to say that I am in utter dissagreement with everyone except Captain-Binky on your chosen colour scheme.

I think it looks brilliant! It has a true retro feel to it, and as Captain-Binky pointed out it looks like old-computer-monitor-orange making it feel Retro-Authentic (if you know what i mean). Additionaly to this, I dont think you should provide functionality for players to change the palette. Allowing people to change the palette would just destroy your creation. (which is genious in my opinion).  I mean Davinci didnt provide his viewers with paintbrushes so they could change his work to how they wanted it.

Keep up the good work Chicky   ;D

ovid

love love LOVE this idea!

3 colors is a deliciously bold move  8)

t.

Chicky

Hey thanks for the comments guys!

How about another screenshot for the dedicated fans :)

Saberteeth

Nice!

Is that a frame from his walking animation?
I just love the 3-color idea.

Chicky

It's a running animation. From a sequence in the game where he's being chased by a boulder!

The Ivy

Love it.  Very original style and idea, I can't wait to see it finished.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk