Tune contest: Arthropod (23 February - 2nd March 06)

Started by biothlebop, Thu 23/02/2006 11:55:21

Previous topic - Next topic

biothlebop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthropod
You are free to do whatever you wish except the title of your song must include the name of an arthropod in some way.
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

Pet Terry

Here's a quickie (a real quickie), a rather strange one too. And simple.

Crabs ate my face!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Ghormak

I call it "More than four legs are too many legs, isn't that right Mr Sea Spider?"

click
Achtung Franz! The comic

Erenan

I'm thinking about entering this.

Um... There's no 30th of February. ???
The Bunker

biothlebop

Most excellent! You noticed! You have now progressed to level 3.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Thought I mix things up a bit and combine some old skool samples with new stuff.

Take part in the space voyage of the Scarab, galactic smuggling vessel!

http://members.cox.net/progzmax/Voyage_of_the_Scarab.ogg

Redwall

aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Nikolas

Yes, but it's very very nice. Plus arachno prefix in greek means spider. So there you go... It includes the name of an arthopod (also greek word), in another language ;D

Gregjazz

Quote from: Redwall on Sat 25/02/2006 20:30:34
Quote from: Geoffkhan on Sat 25/02/2006 02:50:58http://www.gregjazz.com/download/arachnophobia.mp3

Technically, that doesn't include the name of an athropod... :P

Well I was going to name it "Are You Afraid Of Spiders", but that's a lame title considering those are the lyrics for the chorus. :P

As Nikolas said, Arachno = spider. :)

biothlebop

It's all been sufficiently on topic so far, you are still free to wander further off. It's not just spiders, you know.
Gentlemen, behold! The Giant Isopod! http://blogs.acceleration.net/images/blogs_acceleration_net/russ/6/r_Giant_isopod.jpg
Basically, go apeshit with the theme.

Nikolas

Bliah....

But well done on one of the most succesfull tune contests... So many entries, so quickly...

voh

I'd like to submit my song, which I have dubbed "Spider Infested Entrails", which is basically a metally-song without vocals, as my voice isn't suited for anything but crappy indie pop :p

Spider Infested Entrails
Still here.

biothlebop

I declare this competition over. I stayed up three days and nights listening with only my desk lamp as a friend but I believe that it was worth it. It was tough call though, due to the sheer mass of entries and my inexperiece as a judge of music. Every participant gets a short comment though:

Petteri:

+ it's fast and energetic
+ it has a jamming feel to it

- quite general melodies and evolutions of those

Haddas:
+ sounds spidery, with the purring noises
+ could work well in a game, it doesn't draw much attention to itself but creates a nice atmosphere

- a little boring as a tune

Ghormak:

+ it depicts the sound of a creature with several legs very well
+ it is very interesting, and I liked the up and down runs
+ probably the most well-accomplished song if it was converted to general midi

- the first times I listened to it, some of the patterns had partly a randomize feeling to them
  in the way that any melody sounds logical when you loop it, now I couldn't imagine it any other way
- the sound is overall a little sharp and midi-ish (is that guitar Slayer?)

ProgZmax:

+ I especially like the background sounds and the rythm
+ It would sound great in a game, as it gives me deep-space images from listening and does it's title justice
+ Wonderful atmosphere and soundscape

- The first synth melody detracts a little from it, making it too epic (liked how it seemed soo impersonal)
  the individual synth hits and melodies at around 1.20 suit the song much better (as of now, I could see the
  song in a larger cutscene/intro sequence)

Geoffkhan:

+ Unusual melody and combination of sounds
+ The singing, very expressive in places
+ I like how the snares are "in the pocket"

- some minor stumbles with articulation

Nikolas:

+ That is like from a horror movie, scariest music so far, excellent atmosphere and reverbration

- The ending was a little cluttered/over the top
- Short, not so song-like

Vel:

+ Nice 80's rock feel to it
+ Drums are varied and expressive

- Simple is good, (definate hook) but it could use vocals over it, as it is, it could work in the background
- Could have profited from a little more mixing

Voh:

+ Varied playing (guitar)

- The drums could have used a little more work
- Definately needs singing or guitar solos, since the song base is so plain

The winner: Geoffkhan, because his song exceeds the limitation of being in a background of a game or movie
(it would work on an album).
Ghormak comes in close to second place, but the sounds of the tune are too midi-ish for a win.
Shared third place would probably go to ProgZmax, as it would make for an excellent game tune and Nikolas, because it was really scary.

voh

Eheh, maybe I should've spent more than 3 hours on the entire thing :P

I promise that for the next tune comp, I'll spend more time on the thing, make the drums more varied, and perhaps even make it a good song ;)
Still here.

Gregjazz

Wowies! I'll go ahead any start the new comp ASAP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk