Coding Competition Feb 24 - March 12 (WINNER - ASHEN)

Started by Rocco, Fri 24/02/2006 14:27:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Akumayo

Code: ags

if (CodeComp.Deadline == 14) {
  Ashen.EnterCodeComp = 1;
}
if (Ashen.EnterCodeComp == 1 && Akumayo.EnterCodeComp == 1) {
  Ashen.WinCodeComp = 1;
  Akumayo.WinCodeComp = 0;
  Ashen.Mood = eMoodHappy;
  Akumayo.Mood = eMoodSad;
}
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

Afflict

Ashen

Your confidence is appreciated, Akumayo, but I don't think I deserve it. This time, anyway. ::)

Presenting ATBFET: Ashen's Turn-Based Fight Engine Thing.
Zip contains:
   atbfet.agt, an AGS template,
   Fighters, a folder containing source code and Complied version of a one-room demo game,
   ATBFET.txt, a readme file.

By concentrating on getting what I had working, rather than adding anything, I've actually managed to finish more-or-less on time. The downside is, while what's there is pretty good if I do say so myself, it's really too incomplete to stand much of a chance (unless the thorough commenting of the code counts for 90% of the vote...). Getting it to what I originally wanted would take more than a two day extension, so I might as well enter now.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention: Due to string usage, it's really meant for V2.7, but it can be updated easily enough.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Rocco

yuhuu, we have three entrys :-))))
thank you very much ashen, for setting up your entry.
Ok so we dont need a time extension and the voting can start now.

my subjective summary:

best documented
ashen - 1st
endrews - 2nd
akumayo - 3rd

easiest to use and extend:
ashen - 1st
akumayo - 2nd
endrews - 3rd

looks most 'finished':
akumayo - 1st
endrews - 2nd
ashen - 3rd

start from scratch:
ashen - 1st
akumayo, endrews - 2nd

most fun (for me):
endrews - 1st
akumayo - 2nd
ashen - 3rd

overall impression
all 3 entrys equal.
normally, in the meaning of this contest, i should vote for ashen,
cause when im thinking about implementing endrews or akus entry in an own game,
i guess its easier to code the whole thing again by myself, as to tweak around with this tons of mostly undocumented code. ;-)
but the closest entry for my personal preference and expectation is endrews entry.
so my vote goes to: endrews
thank you all three for the entrys. :-))))

Akumayo

I started my entry from scratch.  It's the first one I've ever build using structs instead of individual variables.

Ashen

But it was based on a system you'd already done, right? It looked very familiar from somewhere (from the playerr's perspective, anyway).

My Summary (no offense intended to anybody, I'm just trying to be thorough):

In terms of 'playablity', I way prefered Endrews' entry. I liked that it had party combat - something I was hoping to have in mine, but would've required time-consuming rewrites, and which really doesn't look to be possible with Akumayo's system, without it being easier for you to start from scratch on it. It also looked like it would fit into a game better than Akumayo's, which I think would be quite jarring, mid game.

However ... A part - a large part - of the Comp has to be how easily the system can be intigrated into another game, and on this Akumayo wins hands down. There's not much (OK, none at all) in the way of comments, but the formatting of the code and the naming comventions used make it quite self-explainatory. Endrews' on the other hand is really quite horribly over-written (hundreds of seperate int declaraions where a few structs/arrays would've done, functions declared in Global & Room scripts), dense and confusing. I can see that it works - and works well - but I've had a hell of a time figuring out HOW it does anything, and I'm still not totally sure about much of it. Even a few more on-point comments would've helped a great deal, although I'm willing to concede that a lot of the formatting issue is to taste.

Overall, then, I'm going to vote for ... Akumayo, for providing what I'd say was the more useful resource, that being IMO the main point of this Comp. Although if Endrews' had been just a little more clearly coded, it'd have been a very hard decision.

On a general note, it's a shame to see we all went for fight-based entries.

Akumayo

Well, I suppose I'd better vote too, since Ashen did...

At first glance, Endrews would be my choice, becuase his battles are fun and party based, which is difficult to script, he has my kudos for that.

However... Ashen's commented code makes it easy to understand what is happening and why, and I think if I were to try to build off one of the entry's, or put them into a game, I would use Ashen's, becuase it would be easiest to change and re-engineer.

So, I cast  my vote for

Ashen

scourge

my vote: ashen

Endrews played the best. Akumayo's was awesome and you're constently improving, but Ashen's module gets my vote.

Akumayo

Well, it's been three days, does Ashen win?  What's happening Rocco?

Ashen

The rules say a week of voting, don't they? So I suppose we've got until the 19th, unless Rocco wants to call it sooner.

Come on people, get voting! Don't make Akumayo eMoodSad!

Rocco

Good, so lets finish this turn, cause it isn't much activity here and it make not much sense to wait until sunday.
I agree with all posts above, and im happy to anounce the merited winner.
WINNER - ASHEN

Corey

oh i realisched too late that this is a voting competition... oh well I would have voted on ashen anyway
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

Ashen

OK, this is a surprise.... Thanks all. (And - what were you thinking? ;))

It'll probably be a couple of days before I start a new one, unless anyone has a suggestion for a theme?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk