AGS Questionaire!

Started by kristofski, Sun 26/02/2006 17:48:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarian

Name: Forum Name "Barbarian". Real name: Don McPherson.

Age: I'm probably one of the "oldest farts" 'round these parts, age-wise that is.Ã,  ;) A, uhhh, "30-somthing".

Female/male: A hunka-hunka-burnin'-luv, bay-bee! All solid Male here!

1. How long have you been involved in the AGS community?

Hmmm, I guess around 2 years now, probably more if you consider the half-year or so of "Lurking" time before signing up as a member here.

2. Why did you get involved in AGS?

I always loved "Adventure Games", and it was a long-time dream of mine to one day create my own full-length "cool" adventure game and to be able to share it with other adventure-gaming fans.Ã,  I first found the AGS community after playing the, ummm, I think it was the Kings Quest II remake, anyways after I found out it was made with this great program called "AGS", I check it out, and I've been hooked ever since.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware programme affect the community that has built up around it?

I greatly respect "CJ" for sharing his wonderful "AGS" program with us, plus giving us the AGS forums here. And he's constantly listening to feedback from all us "complainers"Ã,  ;) , and he not only continues to upgrade and improve AGS and it's features, but all for the low-low cost of "Free" to us. It shows that he's a great fan of "Adventure Gaming" himself, and that he likes to share this passion with others.Ã,  It's programs like AGS and a community like AGS that I think truly helps to keep the "Adventure Gaming Spirit" alive and well. Yes, I think that AGS being Freeware has helped make the AGS community grow to the proportions you see nowadays. However, even if AGS was a commercial product, I feel certain that there would still be a strong support and community in regards to AGS.

4. How big a part does the AGS community play in your life?

I usually check the AGS forums a few times a day, and since I have found AGS, I have most of that time been involved with some Adventure-Gaming project utilizing AGS. It took a while, but I have come to feel accepted and "part of the community", and I had had the good fortune to collaborate, work with, and exchange ideas with so many wonderful talented people here.Ã,  "AGS" and the community here, now it feel like "an old friend".Ã,  :)

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want

Yes. Probably the one game I had a hand in that I'm most proud of thus far is The Great Stroke Off , which was a team effort in which I got to work with some greatly talented individuals. And our game was a winner of the last ATC competition.

My first game I made using AGS (which I admit, is rather rough, but hey, it was a learning experience and I still think turned out "OK" considering it was my first AGS game and it was made more of a way to for me to learn how to use AGS) was: Escape From evergreen Forest.

A couple other little short games I've produced:
Dark of Night, which was release for the Halloween 2005 edition of "Release Something". That project began originally as a way for me to experiment with some "effects" I could see that I could play around with, such as lightning, thunder, rain and such...

And for the first "One Room One Week" competition, I made: The Elevator. And even though the graphics were mostly "Ripped", overall the response was good, people seemed to enjoy it and I had many requests from people wanting me to continue this project to develop this into a full-sized adventure game... So over the last several months, I've been remaking this to turn it into a full-sized adventure which will be a LOT better than the original in every way: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=24181.0

I plan to continue to be involved with more future projects.

6. Answer these questions if you have been involved in making AGS games:

a. Were you interested in game design/programming before you started using AGS?

Yes. Goes waaaaay back, perhaps back to my "Vic-20" days when the first "Real Game" I had was "Scott Adam's - AdventureLand", a purely text-based adventure game. I was hooked on computer gaming and playing around with making games in some way or another since then.

b.If no, do you feel that you would have got into game design without AGS?

Yep!

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the eperience differ?

I used to make games way-back-when mostly in "BASIC".Ã,  But, over the years I've experiented with a few "Game Making" programs, some freeware, some commercial.Ã,  AGS is the best program I've found so far that is geared towards making "Classic Style Point-n-Click Type of Adventure Games".

d. Has AGS inspired you to try and take up game design professionally?

Well, not particularily. However, IF someone approched me and said something like "Hey, we would like you onboard our team with a professionally / commercially made game.", then of course I may seriously consider it.Ã,  In fact, I've recently been asked to partake in having a helping hand in a professionally / commercially made Adventure-Game, but currently it's an, uhhh, "Un-Paid" posistion.Ã,  But heck, I figure it's a great learning experience, and I get to have a special "sneak-peek" at a yet-to-be-released project, and who knows, it might lead to some good future oppertunities. Can't say too much else about that for the moment though.

7. Do you feel that there is a gender divide in the AGS community?

Hmmm.. Well, overall it still seems to be a much larger male-to-female ratio. However, it's nice to see the ladies being actively involved in the community as well as game-making here. And from what I see, the gals are just as accepted and respected as the guys (perhaps moreso in some ways).Ã,  ;)

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it's made by a female? In what way?

No. I try to look at the overall enjoyment and playability of a game. It doesn't matter to me really if it's made by male or female.

9. Do you feel that AGS makes it easier for females to get involved in computer game design? In what way?

Well, I feel the AGS community in general seems to be a heck-offa-nice-buncha people that are usually intelligent, thoughtful and mature. So, overall, I think the girls are made to feel just as welcome here.

10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females?

Well, now you're getting down to an individual's likes & dislikes of what "kind" of game they may like to create. If a girl wants to make a down-'n-dirty hack-n'-slash survival-horror shoot-em-up, and a guy wants to make a love-story with elves and faries and flowers... so be it! Break the old "stereotype".Ã,  One game I make may have to do with some dramatic love story set in a fantasy setting, then next game I made might be an ultra-violent "Horror" type of game. I guess it depends on my game-making mood, thoughts and inspirations at the time, and why should it be any different for a female game creator?

11. Any other comments?

"Every day is a gift. Make the most of it."
Ã,  Ã,  Good-bye Dad, I love you and miss you!Ã,  :'(Ã, 
*My father just passed away a couple days ago - wasn't gonna mention it here, but, AGS is like my friend, sooo....*
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

SSH

Name:

Andrew MacCormack

Male

3 years

I wanted to find some free adventure games, then I found various made with AGS. Then, I decided to make a game as Valentine's Day present for my wife, which turned out to be the first in a series of 8 games (so far)...

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware programme affect the community that has built up around it?

AGS is popular for a number of reasons, and being free is one of them, although that was maybe more significant at the beginning, now the resources, support and community are bigger factors.

Well, I'm on most days.

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want

Yes, the 8 Princess Marian Games, Pixel Hunt, Awakening of the Sphinx demo and I hope my help and modules have contributed to various others.

Yes, but never successfully, really.

b. If no, do you feel that you would have got into game design without AGS?

Not really

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the eperience differ?

No.

Vaguely. If I win the lottery, I'm definately starting up a games design company ;) If only I ever bought a ticket...

Yes. Girls get proportionally more attention for their stuff. On the other hand, it usually tends to be better anyway. Hopefully both these reasons will encourage more girls to join!

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it’s made by a female? In what way?

Not really.

9. Do you feel that AGS makes it easier for females to get involved in computer game design? In what way?

AGS makes it easy for anyone to get involved in computer games design. Therefore, yes!

10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females?

No.

11. Any other comments?

PLAY ACE QUEST

woodz

Name:Woodz (nige copeland)

Female/male: male

since 2002 off n on

to make graphic based adventure games

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware programmer affect the community that has built up around it?
i admire Chris Jones a lot for keeping AGS freeware, most dedicated AGSers would gladly pay regardless

the real world take up more time nowadays

three MAGS games between 2002/2003

i did do text adventures and DOS based games, then found AGS

c. Do you make games using other programmers, either freeware or not? How does the experience differ?
i make games with the LASSIE engine, the ultimate goal is to make is to have AGS and online playable games

not really, I'm not good enough

no

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it's made by a female? In what way?
no not at all

i thing they are treated the same

a lot more thought with the story and detail seems to go into games created by females, i dunno if its something to do with the male bigotry they have to go through in life, inevitably theyÃ,  go one step better to prove a point

11. Any other comments?
the answer to 10 comes from being married for 21 years and seeing first hand the type of cr*p that gets dealt to women andÃ,  how far they will go to prove people wrong! my wife did her motorcycle test based on being told she couldn't do it, and she couldn't handle a real bike, she passed first time and now owns a GPZ500! how wrong could they be lol

hedgefield

Name: Tim 'largopredator' Hengeveld

Female/male: Male

Since November 2004.

I play a lot of games, and I always liked adventure games, and after I had played Broken Sword I really wanted to make a game aswell. I also draw frequently, so my preference was for 2D graphics.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware program affects the community that has built up around it?
I think if it was shareware it wouldn't have been so popular. Everybody is a cheapskate on the internet, so it's being freeware really benefits the community, making it large and full of interesting people from all over the world.

I often check the forums every day, see if there's new info on games in production or a nice comp or discussion going. And whenever I run into a problem the forum is an invaluable source of information.

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want.
I've worked on an OROW2 entry, Sheet, and I'm still working on my first big game, The Majestic Conspiracy. But I'm very lazy so it's going very slowly. See sig for info.

Yes, but I never had the drive to start with 3D.

-

nope. I've tried with stuff lke 3DSmax and such, but I'd much rather make 2D games. 3D is awesome, but modelling sucks -.-

Not inspired, but certainly developed my interest.

Nope. If there is a divide, it's more likely to be based on intelligence than on gender.

Unlikely. I don't judge games by who made them. Maybe if a girl made a really dark, gritty, violent game, I may or may not raise an eyebrow. But that's it.

There's thousands of game-making apps out there, I don't think it's exclusively AGS that makes for better circumstances for females. Although we have a great community.

I find that games made by females often have a (strong) female as main character. There's also less likely to be excessive cursing and violence. But it's not limited to that. I guess it depends more on character then on gender. There's also guys who make girly games. I've got no problem.

11. Any other comments?
Grey's Anatomy is the shizzle.

InCreator

Name: InCreator / Indrek Plavutski (real)

Female/male: Male... I guess?

Few good years. I was observing the thing already from ezboards age, but officially registered in 2003.

Well, I gave it a try and completed a game. Well, I haven't produced such famous game with any other engine, so the glory and will to create more tied me to AGS.

I think that this fact keeps people friendly and pretty much together. Also, it's the reason why AGS and it's MEMBERS gets so much help (people) and improvements(AGS). If it was commercial, no one would care so much.

I usually check the forums few times a day... there's always some  interesting reading around (Not much lately, though  :'().
And my artistic abilities have gone up by atleast 500% in last few years!
Also, if I'd ever want to make a game or fix a washing machine, I would know where to ask  ;)

Yes. I've made or helped to make about 15 different games, of which 5 or 6 are completed.

Of course! around 6 years of QBasic, then Game Maker, Fighter Tsukuru '95, Turbo Pascal, 3D Rad, 3D GameStudio A5 and A6....

Obiviously yes.

Game Maker. Well, GM has more lag and more options. Way more options.... almost a programmed freedom to do anything.... but more lag also. The Lag.

Sure. But it also teached me that anything professional requires more manpower. Which means less possibilities to achieve my vision. Which is very uninspirating.

Definetly. But it's not disturbing in any way. We just need more women in community!

Can't think of anything... though I must admit that if the game's good, my impression is a bit bigger.

Girls dream more. Adventure game could tell a tale. Tales are related to dreams. AGS gives the chance to create your very own dream world or tell your tale. Sounds logical to me...

Less blood and more handsome male sprites...

11. Any other comments?
Do I recieve some ads now like "register for $15 and meet hot game making chicks near your location today"?

Pesty

Name: Pesty!

Female/male: Female

Since the beginning of time! Seriously, I don't remember.

Because I've always wanted to make my own games and AGS has made it easier for me to pretend that I do, in fact, make my own games.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware program affects the community that has built up around it?
Well, there are a lot of people who are willing to use free things, aren't there? I think it attracts more people than it would a program you'd pay for, so we have to put up with new people ALL THE TIME. I think having to put up with new people affects the community in a serious way!

I USE AGS EVERYDAY. Ha ha, I'm just kidding. The AGS community is a footnote in my life. You bastards don't even deserve a whole chapter!
Okay, I check the forums, but not every day, and I only look for threads that interest me or seem like there is something I could make fun of in there.

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? You may list them if you want.
Not any real games. I made the beginnings of a game for the OROW once, but it wasn't very good at all.

Yes, I made several text based adventure games in QBASIC that are fortunately lost in time.

NOT ANSWERABLE.

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the experience differ?
I don't even make games with AGS, let alone other programs. I've tried to make games with Flash. I think it's easier to make games in AGS.

Well, yes and no. I came across AGS during a point in my life where I wanted to take up game design professionally, and the idea of AGS boostered that. I had all these pretty thoughts, that I could make my portfolio and use a game made in AGS to emphasize it, but my laziness overcame me.

No, absolutely not. Okay, maybe a little when a pretty girl shows up and all the nerds are like "OMG OMG SEXY", but once they get over that, no.

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it’s made by a female? In what way?
You know, I should say I don't, but I do. I LIKE seeing games made by girls and I even think I'd be more inclined to download a game if a girl's made it, mainly because when girls make games, they tend to make them the way I like them. I don't know why!

I suppose any free game making program like AGS makes it easier. Look at Inquisitive Stranger! She's FAMOUS ON THE INTERNETS and she doesn't even use AGS.

Yes, in general. I suppose if I didn't know the difference between a game made by a male and a game made by a female, and you asked me to tell the difference, I bet I could. But it's not a bad or good difference, and it's nothing specific. They are just different experiences.

11. Any other comments?
NO.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

magintz

Name: Gary

1. How long have you been involved in the AGS community? Err... not really sure, probably 5 years, how long ago was AGS in DOS and I can probably work out.

2. Why did you get involved in AGS? Love point and click adventures, fancied making my own one. Downlaoded AGAST but didn't like it. Then found AGS.

3. How do you feel that the fact that AGS is a freeware programme affect the community that has built up around it? I think it's great that it's free as it's keeping a small gaming genre alive.

4. How big a part does the AGS community play in your life? Everyone on the community is great to talk to and consider a lot of you friends, so I feel a very personal relationship with many forum members.

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS? Yes. Apart from my mags game and the few demos of unfinished projects I was a beta tester on chick-chaser.

a. Were you interested in game design/programming before you started using AGS? I had an interest, but AGS was teh first attempt at doing any programming or game development. I remmeber in school I used to make kind of adventure game puzzles on pieces of paper and play with a friend. I would draw a map of a town, and kind of narate a story to my friend who would move around town doing things and solving murders.

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the eperience differ? AGS 4 Life ;)

d. Has AGS inspired you to try and take up game design professionally? Yes, but the market is too competetive and requires too much skill. I like doing it at an ametuer level as I have 100% of the say on what I get to make.

7. Do you feel that there is a gender divide in the AGS community? Not really

8. Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it's made by a female? In what way? No. I've played games made by both male and female and some without even knowing who made it.

9. Do you feel that AGS makes it easier for females to get involved in computer game design? In what way? Yes, it has a large friendly community on the internet that welcomes in everyone, male or female.

10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females? I can't say I have noticed any difference. At the moment I'm trying to think of games made by females.

11. Any other comments?
Lots of gender oriented questions... :/
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

passer-by

Name:cp

Female/male: female

March 2005

I was playing various computer games, I discovered the website while looking for hints and then I tried the engine.

I think we are here for fun.

When I work on my computer, I have email notification on for most AGS boards. Apart from that, very few people outside the internet know about this hobby and I won't bring my game project with me during holidays. But I write long postsÃ,  :P

Yes

No.

Maybe.

c. Do you make games using other programmes, either freeware or not? How does the experience differ?
I tried some of them, always freeware. Many have some features disabled. Some others need too much coding. Or they lack support. But as I'm used to the AGS interface I find it difficult to adapt anyway.

No. I don't have computer-related career targets. I couldn't do serious coding to save my life.

In numbers.

No

I don't know if it's AGSÃ,  or the females' knowledge or persistence .

Haven't thought about that... I think it's the playersÃ,  that define what games will be played and the creator just follows.

11. Any other comments?

Quintaros

Name: Forum â€" Quintaros, Real - Darren Reid

Female/male: male

I first downloaded AGS during Xmas break of 1999.Ã,  I'd lurked on the boards since then eventuallyÃ,  becoming a member in 2002 or 2003.

I had taken a programming course in my first year of university and was instantly hooked.Ã,  After that I began looking for webtutorials to make text adventures.Ã,  I didn't think a graphic adventure was even possible for amateurs until I discovered AGS.Ã,  I've never looked back.

I think the community as we know it would not exist if AGS began as a commercial program.Ã,  Fewer people, different attitudes.Ã, 

I spend more time using the AGS editor than I do on the forums but I do check the boards regularly (1-3 x per day).Ã,  Ã, I don't post very often and have never been on IRC (but that's mostly because I don't even know how to get there).Ã,  Ã, I'd actually like to be more involved in the community but feel I need to release something to gain any recognition.

I have been working on The Prisoner since 2003.

Yes, but AGS raised the bar for what I expected to produce.

b. If so, do you feel that you would have got into game design without AGS?

I think I would have dabbled briefly but then moved on to other interests.Ã,  In a parallel universe where Chris Jones released AGS as commercial software, I must be leading a very different life.

No…I use AGS for everything even for non-adventure games.Ã,  This is partly due to familiarity but also I want to eventually combine the non-adventure elements into adventure games.

It has caused me to daydream.

To some degree.Ã,  The community doesn't have any bias toward/against them but female members do conduct themselves somewhat differently.Ã, 

Female members tend to be more mature and assimilate into the community faster.Ã,  I cannot think of any instance where a nuisance N00B was female.

If I've played the game, learning that the creator was female will not alter my response to it.Ã, 

If I haven't played the game, I may be more inclined to download it as I tend to have higher expectations of games created by females.

I don't know.Ã,  Perhaps the AGS community feels more welcoming toward female members than other game design communities.Ã, 

Female AGSers seem to hit their stride faster.Ã,  They don't throw together a crappy game for the sake of making something.Ã,  Ã, They seem to have a clear story in mind that they set out to make and as a result its usually pretty good.

That's not to say that male AGSers don't make good games.Ã,  There's simply a broader range in the quality of the games produced my guys.

11. Any other comments?

The female/male ratio of my faculty in university was also heavily skewed toward the male.Ã,  There weren't many female slackers.Ã, 

My guess is that when a person chooses to pursue something in which they are a minority they tend to be more motivated than the members of the majority.

The Ivy

Name: Erin Robinson

Less than a year.

I learned about it from a friend.

It means we're cheap? Ã, I dunno, I would assume a lot more amateur games are being made, and it's very accessible to anyone who wants to give it a try.

I like the people here, they're generally very helpful and encouraging. Ã, Since we all share this interest in adventure games, a lot of good criticism and suggestions for making games can be found. Ã, I also like the fact that you can post any art in the critic's lounge and hear suggestions from all levels of artists (including some very talented ones).

Yep, I just released a game called "Spooks."Ã,  Play it, I worked hard.Ã,  :P

Yeah, essentially since I first played a computer game. Ã, When I was about 6, I'd draw pictures showing how Commander Keen would be so much better if he was a girl who hopped around collecting rainbows.

N/A

Nope, I don't have enough experience with programming for that.

Haha, no. Ã, I imagine I wouldn't be as motivated to work on things if it was my job, anyway.

Do you feel that there is a gender divide in the AGS community?
Divide? Ã, Nah. Ã, I'm not even sure what that would be like. Ã, Anyone who suggested that women are unable to make computer games would probably be mocked by the rest of the community.

Are you likely to feel differently about a game if you discover it's made by a female? In what way? Ã, 
Yeah, if it's a good game and it's made by a female, I feel a "Right on!" kind of sentiment.

Do you feel that AGS makes it easier for females to get involved in computer game design? In what way? Ã, 
Personally, I haven't had much programming experience since that's not where my interests lie. Ã, That's why I was so excited when I found AGS, since you don't need a background in that sort of thing before you can make a game. Ã, It certainly made it easier for me to get a start, but I think a lot of community members can agree with that, not just the females.

Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females?
Not that I can tell. Ã, I have a few ideas for gritty psychological thrillers, and then I have ideas for quirky puzzle games. Ã, It depends on what I feel would make a better game, not the fact that I'm female.

Any other comments?
Will you be posting your paper here once it's done?

gameboy

Name:
Kristjan Laimets aka gameboy

I don't know am I too young to be here... but what the hell. :P

Female/male:
Male

Since the end of 2005. A very little time.

Because I've always been a big fan of adventure games. And programming itself.

Well... It certainly is good that AGS is freeware. Otherwise the community would not be that big.

I come to the forum pretty often, but it isn't really very important in my life. I mostly move around Estonian forums, but -- I have to say that Estonian forums suck because there's so much spam! And there's no AGS forums in Estonia which is bad.

I've been involved in the two following games: Santas sidekick and Clip goes to town.

Okay, then:

Yes I was. Before AGS I've used QBasic and Game Maker. Even got some games released with GM.

Not gonna answer this one.

I mostly use an old version of Game Maker. I've made a lot of games with it. Very little of them released. And none in English.

The most famous game I've ever made is Karaas (a wannabe racing game :P) which was pretty popular in Estonia some time ago. Well, the game itself sucked.

A little bit maybe... But I don't think that I will ever be a proffessional game designer.

Um... no?

Er... no. Should I?

Not really.

No, not really.

11. Any other comments?
No, I'm already friggin tired of answering all those questions...:P

Afflict

Name:
Afflict

Female/male:
Male

Joined in begining of 2005

I love adventure games more importantly I like graphics

I am very thankfull that Chris Jones has dedicated so much time and effort into creating something that so many have taken to heart, and better yet its FREE!

Eat sleep, .. work <crinch> AGS!

I am currently involved in the making of an AGS, nothing released yet.

Okay, then:

Yes, ever since I was a litle boy. I even wanted to persue it proffesionally. Programming, no didnt like it that much.

Yes

Probably never use anything else, as coding is not my strong suite.

It has inspired me to actually brush up on my art again something I have left alone
for so many years! Always wanted to do game design proffesionaly.

No

No

It makes it easier for everybody

Mmmm, No altough I never really check whos a female and who isnt...

11. Any other comments?
Special thanks to Chris Jones for AGS!

Grapefruitologist

Name: blue_eyed_alley_catz
EDIT: I mean grapefruitologist! Sorry heh, that's my username on a different forum.

I forget. I'm kinda new.

A long time ago, I played Monkey Island, and I wanted to make my own fangame, but AGS was too complicated for me (I couldn't find tutorials back then). Later I started remembering how fun Monkey Island was and I decided I should atleast try to make a new game (which I am, doing pretty good, too.) I already had an idea for a game (or whatever), and even a sequel to it (but I didn't think it was going to be a game until later.)

Eh?

Errrrr.........
I guess I'll skip this one. xD

I'm already making Since You've Been Gone (It's a game based on the song by Kelly Clarkson, "Since U Been Gone", but, better grammar, and it's more like a cross between that and the movie Freaky Friday... scary, eh?) and I'm planning (and working on somewhat now and then) Since You've Been Gone 2 and another game which I was going to write into a book a few years ago that I'm still trying to think up a name for, about an 11 year old pirate girl in the medieval days.
I'm also helping Mistral make a "dothack remake" and doing the art/sound, and I don't know what dothack is, but whatever. =D
I'm also helping Yodaman make an Indiana Jones game, again doing art.

Errrr, you mean completed ones or ones I'm currently making or ones I'm helping other people make? I haven't worked on any completed ones yet.

Yep, I was trying to learn "CAOS", a scripting language for Docking Station, an artificial life game, to try to make some add-ons for it (and I'm still working on that).

No, unless you count add-ons for Docking Station as games, then I use CAOS Tool.

I was already thinking about doing that, which is why I wanted to learn how to make adventure games, which is why I downloaded AGS.

I wouldn't know, I don't know the genders of people over the internet. xD

Nope.

Errr... nope.

You're starting to sound like my mom. xD
Nope.

11. Any other comments?
Errr... nope.
EDIT: Ok, I guess so.
Helm said "10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females?

Not particularily. Adventure games are very girly anyway."
That's funny, because I always thought of adventure games as being more for boys. xD
(\ _ /)
(o.o )
(>< )
This is Bunny
Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIO2qpSsUTA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-p7xaeYes

Pumaman

Name:
Uomo puma, L'

Female/male:
Unknown

Dunno, probably about a year or two now.

I don't really remember, it just kinda happened somehow.

It has meant that the community is made up of cheapskates and tight-arses, rather than respectable upper-class businessmen with bowler hats and pocket watches, which is the kind of clientelle we should be aiming for.

Varies... some weeks, like Mittens, 100%.
Other weeks, like when I'm bored of it, 0%.
Other weeks, like when I'm not really bored of it but there's something good on TV or there are local youths hanging around to write to the local paper about, somewhere in the range 1-99%.

Sadly not, no.

N/A.

No, once it's your work, it becomes your livelihood and is no fun. You can't just give up on a game you don't like, you have to follow it through to the better end -- even when there's nothing you'd rather do than pick up the concept art and dialogue scripts and throw them out of the window in a fit of rage.
The scripts would have to be tied to a brick, obviously, to ensure that the landing was suitably loud and impressive.

Yes -- I can't stand to see a woman making a game, I just ask myself what right she thinks she has to be out of the kitchen.

Yes, I take a copy of the game to bed with me and keep it close to my chest at all times.

Yes, the ones made by men are all about guns and bombs, and the ones made by women are all about My Little Pony and friendship bracelets.

11. Any other comments?
Sorry for being unable to answer your survey in the proper professional manner that you have come to expect. It's been a long day.

Saberteeth

14 years, 4 months, 23 days, 21 hours, 24 minutes and 2 seconds.
Female/male:
Male!
Been serving the community since 2006 :D
Like 99% of all the people on the forum, to make adventure games.
It doesn't...
At the time, big. But not that BIG.
Yeah, I proofreaded Clip goes to town(it's not acctually making but still.). I'm working on a project right now.
Nah, I don't wanna.

/
b.If no, do you feel that you would have got into game design without AGS?
/
/
/
Errr, how can you define(in posts) between female and male? I don't think there's a gender divide.
Nope. I liked Cirque De Zale as much as Larry Vales.
Nope.
A-a(no).
11. Any other comments?
:) :D >:( :o ??? :P :-X :-* := ;) ;D :( 8) ::) :-[ :-\ :'(

DoorKnobHandle

Name:
Jan H. Simon

Female/Male:
Male

I joined the community on the first day I found AGS and this forum. So - taken from my profile - I started being involved in the community since the 14th Oct. 2003 (09:18:44). This makes it two and a half year now.

Me and a friend of mine played Lucas Arts adventures as children (especially "Maniac Mansion", "Day of the Tentacle" and "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis"). Once we were older, we wanted to create our own adventuregame. I knew how to program things with C++, but I wasn't quite up for the task yet. He was gonna draw stuff for it. Well, we never quite managed to get anything done together, but I stumbled upon adventuregamestudio.co.uk while searching google for an adventure game creator.

If AGS wouldn't have been free, I wouldn't have tried it out and looked for one of the other (free) adventure game creation engines. I wouldn't have been part of this community either. That's why I think that this community wouldn't be as strong as it is, if you had to pay for the program. Additionally, AGS wouldn't be as well-known as it is either.

Well, I never attended Mittens and I don't intend to do so (not because I don't like anybody here, but because I accept this as online community. I don't want to mix it up with "reallife" contacts). I check the page almost everyday and quite frequently most of the time. I don't always post as much as I could, but I still recently broke the limit of 700 posts.

My first game I ever produced was called "Plants!". It was only available in my native language (german) and is no longer available for a damn good reason. It was crap! I intend to do a complete rehaul of the story, the art and the whole idea sometime in the future.
Then there is "Troopers". This one is officially still in production. It's a realtime-strategy game made with AGS (just like any Command&Conquer title and looks nearly as good thanks to graphics from Neutron and sounds just as amazing as the original games thanks to an impressive soundtrack by The Scorposer).
Then I am working with Hobbes on Buccaneer II (on the fighting engine particularly), this one isn't released yet either.
Last but not least, I am the lead programmer for Screen 7's "Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth". I don't think I have to mention that we're still working on the final beta version for the demo... The constant delaying of the release date is already legendary in the community.

Definately. I already drew screens from self-thought games as a child and always dreamed about being able to program. Later, I created modifications (including programming, creating models, sprites and maps) for games such as Half-Life and Max Payne 2.

N/A.

I don't use any other game creator, but I program a lot with C++ and OpenGL (and SDL). This is the "real" thing when it comes to programming. It can be quite a hell compared to the nice AGS Editor script language, but still quite amazing.

Not professionally. While creating stuff with AGS is a great hobby of mine, I would never intend to go into the game/application programming business for a job.

No, not at all. But I do think that girls usually get more replies to their posts. That's just natural though, I guess.

I wouldn't feel different about the game, but still I'd probably replay it, just to see if there really aren't any major differences. I haven't played Cirque de Zale or Spooks yet (those are the two only games that I know are made by a female, I think).

Why would it? Of course, you could say that it simplifies the technical aspect of creating a computer game, but then again - how says that girls can't code?

No. While girls are known to be more detail-loving, I think it comes down 100% to the individual.

11. Any other comments?
I hate pie!

Ionias

Name: Mike Doak

Female/male: Male.

Since back in the Ez-Board days. I would say late 2000 or early 2001.

I had been programmingÃ,  with QuickBasic and found it easy but too limiting. So I searched the net for something else and came up with AGS.

It is a good thing. I would pay for AGS myself, but many others wouldn't have. The more the merrier.

The community? I'm not sure. AGS? Quite a large portion.

5. Have you been involved in making any games using AGS?
Yes. Pizza Quest, ROTN 2 1/2, Castle Quest Demo, Fatman.

Yes.

Yes, I have tried but they all need this stuff called code or something. I'm not that great at writing it.

Yes it did, silly me.

No idea.

No.

No idea.

I can't even keep the forum avatars straight much less remember who made what game. So, no not much of a noticeable difference for me.

11. Any other comments?
...and because I don't like pie... Well, unless its lemon meringue... PLAY ACE QUEST!

Erenan

Name: Luke Simpson, a.k.a. Erenan

Since the 24th of May 2005, 3:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time.

Because I wanted to make point and click adventure games.

Well, lots of people use it.

Not a very big part, really. I love AGS, and I love the games people make with it, and I love the idea of making games myself with it, but I'm not really terribly involved in the community yet. Of course, if I stick around long enough, I'm sure I'll become more involved eventually.

Yes. The Bunker, Elf Motors Inc., and a Joke Game called Javelin Catch. I also proofread a MAGS game called Unfinished, and did beta testing for Spooks, which is based on those very same MAGS rules. And, as a matter of fact, I designed those rules. 8)

6. Answer these questions if you have been involved in making AGS games: Okay.

Yes. I've wanted to make games for a long time now. Probably because I grew up playing games.

b. If no, do you feel that you would have got into game design without AGS? N/A

My dad taught me to program in BASIC as I was growing up, so I used to write simple text based adventures on our various C64s and other computers. None of them were any good, of course, but it gave me a great start on understanding how computers and programming languages worked. Unfortunately, it did not help me learn to draw.

It didn't really inspire me, but that's mostly because I already had the desire to do that. Using AGS is mostly a hobby, but it's good practice in a design sense.

7. Do you feel that there is a gender divide in the AGS community? Not really.

Not for the most part, but it depends a bit upon the content of the game. If a woman made a game that was derogatory to women, for example, that would make me stop and wonder why. But mostly I don't think about the gender of the game creator when I'm thinking about the game. They're two things, and I separate them in my mind.

Yes. It makes it easier for everyone to get involved. Now, I imagine the question is implying that it's inherently more difficult for women to get involved in computer game design. But I don't think it is. By and large, fewer women want to get involved, and that's why they don't. It isn't because of some stereotype in the industry.

Probably the female game designer I appreciate most is Lori Cole.

I haven't noticed one.

11. Any other comments?
If I ever open a restaurant, I'm going to name a pie after Chris Jones.
The Bunker

Ubel

Name: Aapeli Kutila

Female/male: Male... at least the last time I checked.

A bit over a year now. Joined in the forums on December 2004.

Well... I saw this article about adventure games in one magazine. AGS was mentioned there and I though like "Wow, it would be so cool to make an own graphic adventure game!". So I typed www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk on my internet browser, went to the download section, downloaded AGS 2.60, started practicing with it a bit, and... yeah...

I've always been a big fan of adventure games since a friend of mine showed me some of the Sierra classics. And I think I've always been kinda interested in game making. You know, programming and stuff... So that's pretty much why I'm here now.

Well, it sure has had a lot of effect in it. People can make their adventure games without paying anything. That way they can keep it as a nice little hobby. ^_^

Oh, you mean how big part does life play in my world of AGSing? Not very big... I check the forums at least 50 times a day. O_o I do it ALL THE TIME. I live here. I'm almost always on the AGS IRC channel. I like to chat with people from AGS. So actually pretty much everything I do with my computer is somehow related to AGS.

Yeah I've made a few games. Check my profile if you wish to see what games I've been working on.

Yes, for quite a long time. I tried making some simple text adventures with CoolBasic a few years ago but didn't succeed very well.

-

I've been trying to make something with CoolBasic again, but other than that I'm pretty much using AGS for everything since it's much easier.

It did for a while... but I don't know if I'd enjoy making games as a job. I want to keep it as a hobby.

Hmm, no...

Not really.

Dunno... maybe... maybe not...

In my opinion and experiences, games made by females are usually more carefully designed and created than the ones from males for some reason.

Grapefruitologist

"10. Do you feel that there is a difference between the types of games created by males and females?
In my opinion and experiences, games made by females are usually more carefully designed and created than the ones from males for some reason."

You obviously have never heard of my game, then. xD
(\ _ /)
(o.o )
(>< )
This is Bunny
Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IIO2qpSsUTA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-p7xaeYes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk