Background Blitz: Mythology (5-19 march)

Started by biothlebop, Sun 05/03/2006 15:21:57

Previous topic - Next topic

biothlebop

The theme of this blitz is Mythology. It intentionally coincides with the sprite jam so you can make a character and fit it in an background (or just the background). You may intrepet the theme as a classical mythical place (gates of Hades), or plainly a fictional place of great importance (ex. USS Enterprise bridge, a setting from the Hitchhiker's guide), basically a central area (one your fictional game would not do without).
Make it seem special, awe-inspiring, extraordinary. Include some sort of text / description / dialogue (in your post, the background may be text-free). Especially if the story/movie/comic book/whatever is less known.
Resolutions: Those supported by AGS, standards (320x240 to 800x600), smaller (like Sbslovenia's), or even scrolling (may be larger than 800x600). Basically it must be loadable into AGS. Colors are unlimited. GO!

The voting will begin on the 19th and end on the 20th. Voting categories:

* Best Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't neccesserily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

* Best Design - The style of the picture, architectural, landscape design, best mood, most evocative etc.

* Best Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, including appropriate walking distances, good angle for character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood exits etc.

* Best Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of rendering.
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

Saberteeth

What about less than 320X200 eg. 280X100?

biothlebop

Saberteeth

Sektor 13

Well if so, here is something from the Planet of the Apes, a crashed ship... i hope it counts..

my:

reference picture (edit):
http://www.stanford.edu/~ahooper/2001Other/01spaceship.jpg

Saberteeth

Damn you, Sektor! The comp hasn't even begun and you already post such an AWSM pic!  ;D

Grrr...  ;)
Eh, I'm still entering.

biothlebop

Everything that hasn't been posted / used in a game before counts. However, I haven't seen the movie, and i was wondering if the shipwreck is central to it? That was what I was going for, an adventure game background that would be central to the game, instead of one that connects two main areas.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Did someone say Star Trek?

I was making this for a MAGS game but never quite got around to it, so it's still unfinished.  I may revisit it and finish the background (mainly the captain's chair and some of the metal shading), since I invested a bit of time in it already.

Q:  WHERE IS THE CREW!?

A:  The crew has disappeared ominously while performing a routine scan of Hades VI.

Q:  OMG PROGZ, IS THAT A BIRD OF PREY!?

A: Yes.  Yes it is.

Q:  WILL THE CREW DIE!!!?!?101lolz

A:  Possibly.

Q:  WHAT ABOUT THE TWO MISSING CHAIRS!?

A:  I left the chairs out of the picture so you could see all the neat controls and blinking lights, of course. 

Q:  Why did you ripoff Star Trek: 25th Anniversary's INCORRECT placement of the ship systems panel?

A:  Because the wall behind Kirk is not visible.  Oh yeah, and because ST: 25th rocked.

Enjoy, Trek fans!

Sektor 13

Quote from: biothlebop on Sun 05/03/2006 16:21:19
Everything that hasn't been posted / used in a game before counts. However, I haven't seen the movie, and i was wondering if the shipwreck is central to it? That was what I was going for, an adventure game background that would be central to the game, instead of one that connects two main areas.

Well, I don't know really, i watched it a long time ago, as far as i know this is the shipe the main character came to this planet, but the main point were Human Apes :). I don't now, if you feel you can disqualify me, i won't be angry.

Also, i was drawing this background for my new game (nothing to do with PLanet of the Apes), thats why it is not tottaly the same, original will have green grass.

p.s. And the movie wasn't that great either :) 

Sektor 13

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sun 05/03/2006 17:09:13
Did someone say Star Trek?

I was making this for a MAGS game but never quite got around to it, so it's still unfinished.  I may revisit it and finish the background (mainly the captain's chair and some of the metal shading), since I invested a bit of time in it already.

Q:  WHERE IS THE CREW!?

A:  The crew has disappeared ominously while performing a routine scan of Hades VI.

Q:  OMG PROGZ, IS THAT A BIRD OF PREY!?

A: Yes.  Yes it is.

Q:  WILL THE CREW DIE!!!?!?101lolz

A:  Possibly.

Q:  WHAT ABOUT THE TWO MISSING CHAIRS!?

A:  I left the chairs out of the picture so you could see all the neat controls and blinking lights, of course. 

Enjoy, Trek fans!

Beam me up, Scotty. :)
I hope it is not the Entreprise :), Kirk must live !

biothlebop

Quote from: Sektor 13 on Sun 05/03/2006 17:12:39

Well, I don't know really, i watched it a long time ago, as far as i know this is the shipe the main character came to this planet, but the main point were Human Apes :). I don't now, if you feel you can disqualify me, i won't be angry.

Also, i was drawing this background for my new game (nothing to do with PLanet of the Apes), thats why it is not tottaly the same, original will have green grass.

p.s. And the movie wasn't that great either :) 

You are definately in. I just don't generally like adventure games that are walk-marathons. And if it's the shipwreck of the main character, it really adds something to the story, rather than being a rusty piece of metal in the ground. I think that is a better description (you could have lied and said it was the kitchen of the spaceship of Xenu or something) than a general spaceship and makes it more unique.

scourge

Could you put back Loominous's voting descriptions? I'm one of those dumb people who need guidelines and i think it'd nice if they are kept standing for future bg blitzes :) You don't have to if you don't want to, just a maybeÃ,  :)

Congrats on your win. You are a great artist.

EDIT: Thanks biothlebop

Mordalles

Quote from: biothlebop on Sun 05/03/2006 16:21:19
i was wondering if the shipwreck is central to it?

yeah, the shipwreck was pretty central to the movie. more than anything else, i think.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Secret Fawful

Well, I guess the Lord of the Rings is pretty mythilogical, and i've been on a Tolkien kick lately, so heres my entry, the entrance to Gollum's cave from the book The hobbit. I may post an updated version later, but I'm not sure.

Look at water: The water is quite darkly colored. Almost as if made unpure by magic.
Hey! I can see someone standing behind me. He's quite an ugly brute. Good thing he can't se...hey wait, I don't have the ring on!
Look at back of the cave: I can see a source of light way back there, but just barely. That must be the entrance I took into this cave system in the first place.
Walk into water: You fall into a deep drop off, and quickly begin feeling the depths swirl around you. You, unfortuantely, are dead, and the dragon Smaug is still free to terrorize the land.

Enjoy my entry. ;)

nihilyst

Here is my entry:

After having defeated the dragon Xah, the Keeper of the Flame, in the Dark Volcano, and having resisted the gaze of The Eyes of Nûhm in Nightshade's Fortress, our hero Luca eventually reaches the Tree in the Centre of Time, the incarnation of Life and Death themselves. He has to answer three questions, the Lord of Rain, Night and Wind, who is the keeper of the tree, will ask him. If he answers them correctly, he may take the White Flower, the one and only cure to the curse, the dark lord Atarh has set on his beloved friend.

pathetic cheers
nihilyst

scourge

Oh my goodness, nihilyst, that's amazing!Ã,  :o I'm instantly jealous of your pixelling skills!

Yours is also awesome fury!!

nihilyst

I consider myself untalented. With that coming from you, I feel proud of myself (where there, looking at the treetop, isn't much to be proud of, indeed). I really admire your art, buloght, that I have seen on this forum, and your words make me truly happy. Trust me, there's nothing in my entry you have to be jealous of.

I really like the other entries as well. The topic is very inspiring.

cheers
nihilyst

Mordalles

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

gameboy

:o God, how good entries! Every single one is just so good! It will be very hard to vote these bg-s!

I'll try to enter too, if I find some time.

biothlebop

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk