Automation v1.1 - OROW Winner

Started by MrColossal, Fri 03/03/2006 05:51:00

Previous topic - Next topic

SadBloke

Great art, great music, great sound, workmanlike writing (only spelling error was "ment" in the description of the containment device), but ultimately felt like a trivial waste of time.  The puzzles were fairly straightforward and the game was obnoxiously linear.  Mostly it involved a lot of walking back and forth and getting the game to let me do what I wanted to.  I can't help but wonder why all the candy aspects couldn't've been used to a better end.

lakerz

Considering the game was designed in a week, I was blown away with all the detail in Automation.  Some of the puzzles were tricky with a bit of pixel hunting, but it wasn't too bad.  Anyways, congrats on a fine effort, worthy of winning the contest.  :=

Nikolas

Plus it was an one room game! So what did you expect in the end, apart from walking back and forth (a little, if I may add).

But of coure you are right, just not for a game in one room, made in a week.

Great game Eric! Well done! I wasn't here on the first OROW... :(

jane

Absolutely great game - but is it supposed to end like that with a trip?

Helm

Quoteultimately felt like a trivial waste of time.

As opposed to vital waste of time?
WINTERKILL

biothlebop

Just finished it, and I have to say that I really loved it. The interface was confusing though at first, I thought the walk icon was look and the kick icon was walk. I especially liked how simple the plot was, and how it still had atmosphere. However, it quit in the end abruptly with a error box, instead of a thank you or something.
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

MrColossal

An error, really?

Anyone else have this problem?
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

biothlebop

Nevermind, it might be just a issue with my computer. The first time i finished it the last sound effect played froze and there was a different AGS error but now I just got a generic XP error and a long dump of data (Automation.exe has encountered a problem bla bla).
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

SadBloke

Quote from: Helm on Mon 06/03/2006 11:51:12

As opposed to a *meaningful* waste of time, like, say, Varicella

scourge

Whenever I see 'automation' i think 'animation' which for me is what really stands out in this game.

MrColossal

Well thanks for playing my game SadBloke, I guess...

Glad to know it ranks well under chickenpox! So you had zero fun playing the game? Please elaborate on "getting the game to let me do what I wanted it to do."

Thank you.
Eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Fuzzpilz

Quote from: SadBloke on Mon 06/03/2006 21:43:42
Quote from: Helm on Mon 06/03/2006 11:51:12

As opposed to a *meaningful* waste of time, like, say, Varicella

There's an unfair comparison if I've ever seen one. Honestly, Automation is an OROW game. Keeping it short and relatively simple was the whole point. If you basically want every game you play to resemble a particularly brilliant IF game, I suggest you just stay away from graphic adventures made by one person in a week.

SadBloke

Well, the game had extraordinarily bizarre rules as to what one could and couldn't do to avoid ruining someone's project.  You could get rid of the moisture drip, but you couldn't dump the red liquid in the plants.  It also had weird garbage collection rules, like you can take a mop but not a pencil sharpener, a piece of tubing but not a jack (even when you want to move the magnet!).  Etc. etc.

I didn't realize it was done in a week.  I'm impressed you pulled together the art and other production elements.  But I still don't approve of the style over substance priorities. :)

Sam.

You silly fool eric, you shouldn't have included all those darn puzzles.

They ruined the game for me.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Peder 🚀

Yay, finnished it..

A great game!!

... A REALLY GREAT GAME! :P.

Good job! ;)

seaduck

Great game! Beautiful graphics, sounds. Way to go!

TheCheese33

Heh heh heh...poor scientist! I love how the game ends... A great way to spend spare time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

The Ivy

I loved this game!Ã,  It was wonderfully different from most of the games out there, and I liked how you had to pay attention to detail if you wanted to win.Ã,  Puzzles, art, animation, humour...all were great and made it hard to believe this was an OROW game.

The little robot reminded me of a certain type of enemy in Duke Nukem II...was that intentional?Ã,  After a while I found myself annoyed by its cocky swagger, although the robot didn't actually have a personality. :PÃ, 

I'd be very curious to see what kind of game you could make with a bit more time.Ã,  Thanks for making this one. :)

MrColossal

Why you're welcome. Thanks to all the people that voted for it.

I never really played Duke-Nukem so the robot is just a tube-bot from by brain.

As for what I can do in more time, well there's always Time Out, which really should have only taken a year but is going on 4 now... And Spellbound is my MAGS game that I made in a month though sadly it has no ending...

Thank you for playing!

Eric

vict0r

Great game! Got stuck a few times, and tried to leech on someone elses hint & tips thread, but as noone had any problems with it, and I don't want to be the noob who starts a h & t thread, i just had to figure it out for myself!
Love the cliffhanger ending! You should have made it start over again or something^^ ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk